DIY Awning questions

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Matt Benoit, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:06 AM.

1. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

I made my own DIY Awning last weekend following the directions on another post. I used a 7x9 heavy duty tarp, made my own connectors for the awning rail and picked up 2 adjustable tent poles.

I am curious if anyone has created a "frame" to span the 2 poles. In order to get the tarp tensioned properly and keep the poles from moving, I have to use 2 guy lines per pole...

I am also curious if anyone has done anything to their diy awning to eliminate the gap between the awning rail and the start of the tarp when using the paracord connectors.

So far it seems more convenient (definitely lighter and takes up less space) than the portable canopy. So I am happy.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

How are you transporting the awning?

When I made one, I put the tent poles through grommets on the tarp. That way I could fold up the awning just like you would a tarp.

But if you intend to roll up the awning like a store bought one, you could use a 2 X 1 (not sure of the measurement).

3. Matt Benoit

I am utilizing the tent poles with the spike on top to go through the grommets on the tarp. It takes up very little space when folded up.

My poles fit in the 4in pvc pipe I have attached to the rear bumper, where the bed supports and lift safety posts are housed.

This is my first time using an awning of any kind (or even stringing up a tarp for that matter). I guess I was just surprised to see that I needed to use 2 guy lines for each pole to keep the tarp properly tensioned.

jmkay1 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

.I knew this gap was going to happen if I went that route so decided to roll my tarp over marine rope. I then used contact cement, and gorilla tape to seal it down. I am than able to slide it directly in my awning rail. Problem it's a much bigger pain to slide it in the track and takes longer. As far as creating a frame I considered it with PVC pipe so I could easily drill a hole at the end for the tarp poles to go in and somehow creating a pocket or something. However I changed my mind as I was concerned about water run off on really ugly rainy days.

Matt Benoit likes this.
  5. jmkay1

This is what mine looks like set up . I only used one guy line on each pole although I use 3 poles on mine due to it being 12' wide.

Attached Files:

Matt Benoit likes this.
  6. Matt Benoit

Sounds like it's just par for the course with the diy awning. It's super easy to put up, so that's good. I wonder how many people are going to clothesline themselves on the guy lines I have out. Lol. Thanks for your input guys.

7. jmkay1

After getting tangled a few times I changed my guylines from camo green Paracord to Florencent orange. Best change I made since I made my tarp awning. I also put flowerpot awning pole support with solar lights to also help the tripping factor. Saw it on Pinterest. Although mine can't support my tarp and poles on it's own it does help keep things in place without the poles slipping if it gets windy. Not to mention my dogs don't knock them down if they get tangled. My solar lights don't work as well as I was hoping as I don't camp with as much sun. I hung up led fairy lights on the awning to help for me to get more light to see. I'm able to dim them if I don't want them on bright which is great.

8. Matt Benoit

I suppose choosing black paracord was a bad idea! Lol. Maybe at some point will get the orange stuff.

9. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

As for tensioning the awning. My factory awning came with 3 spring loaded poles that go from the roof to the end of the awning. You could probably fab something up using adjustable painters poles or maybe some old tent poles (I know I have a bunch of them in the garage from old tents that I can't seem to throw away). As for the guy lines I used some fluorescent tape and put a couple pieces on the lines to be able to better see them.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If you stake the poles at a 45 degree angle the tarp doesn't pull out enough?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 10:09 AM
    Matt Benoit likes this.
  11. Matt Benoit

To be fair, I haven't really been able to get it staked at a 45 degree angle. At my house I don't have the grass to set up the awning and stake it out. Instead I had to settle for setting it up in the garage. I used a couple of d-rings that I screwed to the wall in the garage... But it wasn't 45 degrees. I was probably 30 degrees or so. Hopefully when I'm able to set up at a campsite, only one guy line at a perfect 45 will be enough (unless it's exceptionally windy or rainy)