Do bearing buddies really work????

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by steppinthrax, Oct 22, 2013.

1. steppinthrax

steppinthrax Member

I have a hard time understanding how the grease gets from the top into the center all the way to the back where the inner bearing is. Especially considering that there is a washer on the spindle nut???? Do these really work? When you put grease in it how do you know when to stop? Do you just keep pushing until the grease comes out from the top?

2. budlight

budlight Member

BearingBuddies do work and are great for boat trailers but not if you have drum brakes. The grease is forced all the way around the nut,washer through the hub filling both bearings and out the grease seal on the inside of the hub. If to much grease is applied too quickly it will pop the seal off of the inside of the hub, yup been there done that a few times [;)] . If used on drum brakes the grease will coat the drums and the brakes will be useless. I give a very slow half a pump after each boat launch and it constantly regreases the bearings. I have put them on small trailers without brakes with great success but the grease can make a mess being slung off the inside of the hub and wheel. Hope that helps [:D]

3. steppinthrax

steppinthrax Member

I have a Dexter axle with electric brakes, those are drum brakes???? How does the grease get out from the shaft onto the brake components themselves. There is a seal in the back right?

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Bearings buddies will just fill the complete area of the hub with grease and all that grease has to go somewhere. Usually pass the seal into the brake drums. Bearing buddies are more of a flushing tool, to flush water out of the hubs. The bearings still need to be repacked, maybe more often. Used on Boat trailers.

Some newer axles are "easy lube". The spindle is drilled so that grease has a better path and an improved seal. You still do not just pumping grease in all the time, only once and a while. Wheel bearing grease usually doesn't get used up, it may get dirty, etc. but over greasing bearings can cause more problems. The extra grease has to go somewhere!!!!

5. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Usually the seal is a 1 lip design. This is to prevent stuff from contaminating the grease, not to keep the grease in.

Not all Dexter axles (used my most popups) use a spindle washer and the washer does not seal against the drum or hub.

Bearing buddies are really designed for boat trailers, since they go thru the thermal expansion/ contraction cycles much quicker then other trailers. The sudden contraction from the water cooling air inside the hub, will either pull water in past the seals (no BB) or pull the grease towards the center of the hub while the spring loaded end moves inward decreasing the total hub volume.
    Dexter makes EZ Lube axles which are designed COMPLETELY different the Bearing Buddies. The old grease is pushed from the inner to outer bearing to be removed.
    http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/product_flyers/E-Z-Lube_7-11.pdf

6. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

For sure bearing buddies are not Dexter EZ lube.

7. steved

steved New Member

There is space between the spindle nut/washer and the hub that the grease flows around (there had better be, or your hub wouldn't turn). The grease then passes through the voids in the outer bearing, fills the space between the bearings, and eventually purges the air out of the hub (through the seal) filling the inner bearing.

I've had mixed results with bearing buddies, if the seals are in good condition; they will not start barfing grease out with the use of a bearing buddy (BB). BBs typically have a point at which any additional grease that is added is purged through the BB face...you can't "over pressure" the hub using the BB. Now if your seals are worn, you can push grease out the backside of the hub as fast as you pump it in through the BB...been there, done that.

BBss have their place, boat trailers that have the axle submerged can take on water and the bearing buddy creating just that little bit of pressure to prevent that water from entering. The PO of my 5vr installed BBs on both axles and I have added grease occasionally, to the point the grease forced out the front, and I have never had a drip out the seal onto the brakes.

Now I also have the EZ Lube-style axles on both my E3 and my utility trailer, and the difference with them is that they have no spring to apply constant pressure. They are basically a drilled spindle that puts the grease between the bearings...and if you over fill the hub, the excess grease is pushed out the front of the hub through/around the outer bearing...there is never any pressure put on the seal like there is with a BB.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

No, they will force grease out of the inter seal onto you brake drums. They are ideal for boating where you want to pump out the water from the bearings after the hubs have been in the water.