Do I need a back-flow valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Rhconcepts, May 21, 2017.

1. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Blaine MN
    Im taking out my lowboy 3 way faucet pump and installing a kitchen faucet. The cold will be for city water and the hot will go to my water pump/tank.

Does the pump prevent city water from entering the tank?

I dont like this back flow valve I think its making my pump work to hard. I cant blow through it but the air house can open it.

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    When we took the Pup out for the first time last year hooked up the hose and had no water. Tracked the problem to the backflow preventer. I took it out and haven't looked back.

3. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Blaine MN
    Here is a video I made showing what I'm doing. At the end I talk about what I'm worried about. I don't use city water much but if I did I'm worried that without the back flow valve the city water will back feed to the tank.

4. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Member

May 22, 2016
    South Chicagoland
    I'm no plumber by any means but couldn't you put something like a fuel cut off valve on the hose near you tank? And when your connected to city water close it, and when using the pup's tank open it up. That to me should solve the back feed problem if the other valve is left slightly open....correct me if i am wrong or misunderstanding.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    If plumbed correctly the water pump has a check valve to keep the city water from fill the tank. You shouldn't need anything else.

6. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    As long as there's no other connection between the two systems and you only open one valve at a time you shouldn't need a backflow valve.