Do I need a new water pump?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Dingit, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    We're working through our NTU 2008 Fleetwood Arcadia and the water pump seems bad. This is running off the FW tank and is not hooked up to city water, but plugged into shore power.

We turned it on and it was really loud (both with the faucet running and not). It pumped water to the sink loudly for a minute and then just died. Fuses in the converter box seem okay and the fuse by the pump seems okay. Is there something else to check?

Thanks!

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    The only thing I can think of is verify there's 12v to the pump... if you have 12v and the faucet open, it should be running.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Mine is loud, it will be loud untill the pressure builds up . Then it shuts off, it will run while you use the water and a bit afterwords. This is normal .

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Most of us place a piece of carpet under the 12V pumps to dampen the sound...

Don't know why it fails after running for a short time. Mine will not run if the Fresh Water tank is almost empty...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Thanks guys. For some reason it started running again today so I could test the toilet. But it doesn't stop when faucets are closed and it's horribly noisy. I guess it's getting power at least. I have a similarly sized pump in my slidein camper and it is much much quieter. (Of course, it's working with much shorter plumbing lines.)

6. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    If it dosent stop running and it's pumping, water has to be going somewhere I would think.

7. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Well, that's a disturbing thought!

The lines might be full of air; I think the previous owners only used hookups and um...okay I don't know how it works. I've only used a water pump before.

8. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    If it was air the pump would mostly cavatate heat up and break the impeller parts off. I would think anyway. Maybe it needs to be taken apart cleaned and oiled. The air would come out of the taps, if not maybe it's sucking in air from somewhere? If it's not broke the system isn't sealed if it's still pumping when the taps are off. I'm just brainstorming here, maybe one idea will lead to an answer.

9. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Does it have a water heater? If so, and if the heater is empty, the pump will run for a while to fill up the 3 or 6 gallons the water heater needs. Also check to see if the water heater drain plug is in. Look for a low point drain used in winterizing and see if it is open. That would cause water to pump out onto the ground.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to figure out if there is an air leak.

There is a water heater that I haven't messed with yet. There is no water leaking anywhere, but I haven't filled the tank. I'm just playing with whatever old water was in there (it might be really low). It's in the garage so I haven't really experimented with the water system but maybe I should fill it completely and see if it helps.

And while I'm doing that, can I run bleachy water through the water heater? Should be okay if I rinse clean water through before turning it on, right?

:)

11. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    I believe that there is your problem. Fill er up and test. My pump stops being able to pump when there are still a few gallons in the bottom of the tank. It will run non-stop.

Yes, bleach is a good sanitizing solution. I believe the correct ratio is 1/4 cup per 20 gallons of fresh. Lots of posts here on the topic and a quick search will get you the steps you need to follow. But fix your water pump issue first so you can pump the bleach solution through your lines and sanitize the whole mess.

12. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I did on mine, I drained and flushed the tank, as there might be antifreeze in there. Then hooked up the water heater, poured some bleach in the tank. Ran all the taps for 5 m iniuts and let it sit for 3 hours, then drained and rinsed .

13. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Don't turn on the water heater unless it has wayer on it, and most should have a by pass switch by the water heater or a cap, so it dosent freeze in the winter.

14. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Got it.

Pump seems to be working correctly now but it sounds like a generator. It might get replaced if we can't get that fixed. It's all full of bleachy water now. Draining the grey is challenging--the outlet is incredibly low. I don't know how it is still attached.

It's probably never been winterized. We don't do that around here. :)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    You could cut a peice of rubber mat to mount it on, the kind they use in gyms. They are loud, good thing you don't run water when your sleeping!

16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Quieting a water pump.
    Replace the water lines to the pump with a softer hose like the white garden hose use plastic barb fitting to make the connections and make a "fireman loop" in the hose. Do the intake and output at the pump. Any hard lines put pipe insulation around them if they rub against a hard surface. Here's a new trick that has worked well for me. Instead of mounting the pump to the floor or wall I hang it from a board across the top of the compartment. The ends of the board has a mouse pad sandwiched where the ends mount. The pump also has a mouse pad between the pump and the board and is mounted on the underside (hanging) use screws with locking nuts and they don't need to be too tight.
    In 12 years of camping this is the quietest pump I have had. And I only use Shurflo pumps. Flojet pumps are junk.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Thanks all! After having it perform normally (but loudly) yesterday, when turning it on this morning (just pump, no open tap), the pump ran for about 30 seconds. Does that suggest an air leak?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    No, you turned it on, it ran for 30 seconds to get the pressure up then shut off. Sounds normal.

19. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Really? I guess I'm not used to this much plumbing. My other camper's pump will whir for about a second at most when it's turned on, but there's probably less than 4 feet total from tank to pump to sink and not much rise.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Lol, I'm only basing it on the pop up I've owned for a month. Mine has the hot water heater, shower (inside and out) sink. The more pipe the more pressure needed to overcome the friction loss.