Do leave your camper for extended periods?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by markzrt1, Oct 28, 2017.

1. markzrt1

markzrt1 New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    If you want to drive to town and visit local attractions? Say like 4 hours?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Often

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Sometimes. Why?

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I leave mine often when camping, also when at home completely hooked up next to my shop.
    I have never had anything stolen while camping so I do not worry about leaving it

5. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Chicago area
    Yes. We go hiking, boating or sometimes into the nearest town.

6. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    Yes, we are usually gone most of the day hiking and swimming.

On my Coleman, the door opens to the outside. By closing the half stepper door and locking it, actually locks the door. I keep a lock on the tongue and hitch also.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    My camper is often home base for me. I'm Usually gone from morning and return in the evening. Once I even decide to do a quick overnighter back pack trip while camping with the pop up. I don't keep anything important in the camper, everything is firmly secure and hidden in the TV. I leave the chairs any everything out although after a bad windstorm while I was away that tuned out to be a problem. Lesson learned, check the weather forecast before your adventure as you may want to collapse the awning if it's going to storm. Sure don't want an awning accident while your away.

8. markzrt1

markzrt1 New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Ok, cool. Just wondering what people do and if it's ever been a problem as far as theft goes.

9. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    I leave mine for much longer than 4 hrs on occasion. I do lock the door to keep the honest people out. Never in my many years of camping have I ever lost anything to theft.

Wish I could say the same for my own neighborhood....... [:(]

10. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Absolutely. Of course, my camper is hard-sided but it's super easy to break into. We do lock doors & put away things like electronics. Things like laptops are usually stored in the van. When we tent camped we left for hours without packing things up.

11. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Knowing what other people do, would that alter what you would do? Just curious.

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Same here - leave it sitting all the time. Anything of importance to me including my Honda 2KW Generator is always in the locked up truck. I lock my tow head but that really wouldn't be hard to get around if they really wanted to steal my trailer.. Of course on my trailer with Velcro around the doors I can run my hand down the Velcro and reach inside and open my locked door. This is faster than sitting the groceries down and finding my keys haha..

Never had any thief problems. I lost my Sears DC Current meter one trip way back in the woods so figured someone got it. Next time I went back to that area it was laying there on a tree stump haha...

Anything big stolen like my HDTV set hopefully my Insurance would replace it...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

13. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    Would knowing if that would alter what he would do, alter what you would do?

When I was young, I learned the hard way from my own mistakes. As I have gotten older I try to learn from other people’s mistakes.

Savra likes this.
  14. markzrt1

markzrt1 New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Possibly. Maybe it hasn't occurred to you that someone may have never set foot in a campground or state park and have no idea what the norm is.

tfischer and Orchid like this.
  15. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Sorry if my question annoyed you.

16. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I did this this summer. We were camped in the Tetons and would drive into Yellowstone for the day. We would leave at 9 am and return at midnight. No problems, just leave your campsite ready for unexpected storms...

17. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I spend very little time in my PUP when I use it. We set up and then go do the thing that we came to that area to do, usually fishing, and sometimes hunting or going into the town nearby. It sits vacant more than it sits occupied.

I will lock the door, which I do because I've found that children see a PUP as a playground item, NOT someone else's RV they should leave alone. I don't know what it is, but kids about 4-7 years old seem to have no compunction about going inside a PUP when they would never think about opening the door of a TT or MH.

I've never had a problem with theft. I TRY to keep high value items at least out of sight if a thief popped their head in to take a quick look. Usually, that would consist of a Kindle or a tablet we keep in there for reading or videos. Either one isn't really a huge loss, they are both pretty old in electronic's years.

There's really nothing you can do to stop a determined thief. If they want something in your PUP, a box cutter is the universal key.

18. Nick Nichols

Nick Nichols New Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Monticello, Il
    Remove all high dollar items and lock up in TV, then take off for the day to hike, tour the area, take photos, etc. I want to experience the area- not be tied down to my camp site. After a cancer incident a few years ago I asked my surgeon what should I do now? His response, "live life!" I'm doing my best to follow his advice.

19. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    We usually leave the camper for the day. Only time we hang around the campsite is when we need a 'down day' for whatever reason. When the kids were young sometimes they needed a chill day. But now, it's more likely to be work (I work for myself) that that occasionally keeps me in the camper and on the laptop/phone for awhile.

20. Calicajun

Calicajun Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Lancaster, CA
    We go camping to see what is out there and take pictures. So we leave the campsite for the day and run around the area having fun. Nowadays we don't leave anything of value at the campsite when we are gone, things left out are just not as safe as they were 30 years ago.