Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Nino1027

Nino1027 New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Give me my pop up. I see those big rigs pull in to the camp ground set down the leveling system pull out their awing and rug. Set up a satellite dish and then you never see them. I love the sounds of nature not generators.

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've commented on this thread somewhere before, but have to add again, since it just won't go away.

Never been a materialistic person, thankfully, since I've also always been financially challenged. Even so, after spending this past weekend in my daughter's new (to her) hybrid, I wondered how my little pup would feel to me when I got back in it.

Her hybrid has a slide, and is incredibly roomy and comfortable. It has a big refrigerator, stove, and microwave that are built in. In comparison, our pup has to have it's big fridge moved into it at set up and it's convection oven and microwave moved from travel positions to camping positions.

When we got home, we finishing installing the new lift system, and then set her up. I went inside, preparing myself for possible disappointment. To my surprise, my heart fluttered with love for our camper. It feels like home. It IS our home away from home. No other camper, regardless of amenities, can ever give me the same sweet, calm feeling of belonging.

Having said all of that, I've never felt like a second class citizen. Not even in our tent. If anything, canvas has more clout in a campground than does metal. Big rigs belong in RV parks, and they are the ones, if anyone, who should be embarrassed to infiltrate the beautifully wooded great outdoors.

At the end of the day, what defines "class" in a campground is behavior, not rig. Those who know, and practice, proper camping etiquette will always be fist class citizen campers.

3. bflentje

bflentje Member

Aug 24, 2009
    I've run most of the evolution of a camper.. first tenting it in the early days, then several years with a popup, and now we are content with a TT. The thing is, there is ALWAYS going to be someone with the bigger and better rig so you shouldn't dwell on it. If it's something you enjoy, you do it with the balance between your desire and your budget, and to hell with everyone else. If you enjoy the camping whether around the campfire or around the theater system, the opinions of others really don't matter.

Orchid and kitphantom like this.