Do you ever feel like a 2nd class citizen in a PUP?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Neecie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Nino1027

Nino1027 New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Give me my pop up. I see those big rigs pull in to the camp ground set down the leveling system pull out their awing and rug. Set up a satellite dish and then you never see them. I love the sounds of nature not generators.

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've commented on this thread somewhere before, but have to add again, since it just won't go away.

Never been a materialistic person, thankfully, since I've also always been financially challenged. Even so, after spending this past weekend in my daughter's new (to her) hybrid, I wondered how my little pup would feel to me when I got back in it.

Her hybrid has a slide, and is incredibly roomy and comfortable. It has a big refrigerator, stove, and microwave that are built in. In comparison, our pup has to have it's big fridge moved into it at set up and it's convection oven and microwave moved from travel positions to camping positions.

When we got home, we finishing installing the new lift system, and then set her up. I went inside, preparing myself for possible disappointment. To my surprise, my heart fluttered with love for our camper. It feels like home. It IS our home away from home. No other camper, regardless of amenities, can ever give me the same sweet, calm feeling of belonging.

Having said all of that, I've never felt like a second class citizen. Not even in our tent. If anything, canvas has more clout in a campground than does metal. Big rigs belong in RV parks, and they are the ones, if anyone, who should be embarrassed to infiltrate the beautifully wooded great outdoors.

At the end of the day, what defines "class" in a campground is behavior, not rig. Those who know, and practice, proper camping etiquette will always be fist class citizen campers.

CamperChrissy and Tracy D. like this.
  3. bflentje

bflentje Member

Aug 24, 2009
    I've run most of the evolution of a camper.. first tenting it in the early days, then several years with a popup, and now we are content with a TT. The thing is, there is ALWAYS going to be someone with the bigger and better rig so you shouldn't dwell on it. If it's something you enjoy, you do it with the balance between your desire and your budget, and to hell with everyone else. If you enjoy the camping whether around the campfire or around the theater system, the opinions of others really don't matter.

4. Tom and Judie

Tom and Judie New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Abilene, Texas

I kind of understand your frustration. My DH and I try and use our PUP whenever possible until we retire then we plan on running the tires off it criss crossing the US. We did a lot of research and we chose a PUP over a TT and a NTU MH. We wanted the feel of a tent but with a lot of bells and whistles, which equates to greater creature comforts.(No cranking, Full up Bathroom, No folding appliances, large 3 way frig, microwave, and oven) But when you say Pop Up a lot of people get that "Oh yeah" smirk on their faces. I actually love going into a campground with our Perfect PUP and eventually someone comes over because "They had a Pop up when they First started camping" I feed into their ego by asking all about their "Little trailer" then I start pushing buttons and our Perfect PUP started unfolding herself. And I get to smirk as they pick their jaws up from the ground and make an excuse to leave as they usually comment "My old one was nothing like that." But as far as some campgrounds I can't seem to change their opinion of Pop ups. I am trying to find a campground around Austin TX to stay in during a family reunion. but the 2 that are closest to the event state on their website. "NO TENTS or POP UPS". I don't understand the restriction other than they want to cater to the high end MH's and 5W's.
    I guess what I am saying is be happy with what you have and enjoy it. It doesn't matter what Other people think. They don't know you or what you like. Usually sometime during our camp trip I try to invite whomever has showed interest in my Perfect PUP over for a cup of coffee or a glass of Ice Tea and a tour if they want it. The we talk about our love of the outdoors.

tls2971 likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Many of the campgrounds that restrict tents and popups are higher end, resort style. We were going to camp at a CG in Tucson that doesn't seem to restrict pop-ups, but all campers must be "self-contained". I take that to mean that they have an on-board bathroom and water.We had to cancel those plans and haven't had a chance to stay there yet. Self-contained is not an issue with our small TT, and it's the closest RV park to our friends' house. (I stayed at the KOA last month, and next week will be at a state park, which is great but 30-40 minutes from their house.)
    As I've commented before, probably in this thread, we're the same folks who began camping more than 25 years ago. Our first tents were tiny, Walmart ones; our last are REI 6-person base camp ones, which we still have and would use if the occasion arose. while i can no longer backpack, my husband does, so he still gets time on the ground. Our first pup was an old, bare bones, really tiny one - we actually had more space to stash duffel bags in our 6-person tent. Our second pup was an 8' one, where we didn't have to continually do the dance of one sitting down so the other could stand up.
    When my back and joints got to the point that I could no longer handle the pup on solo trips, we knew it was time for a change. For us, that meant a 17' Retro travel trailer. Neither of us has any desire to up-size from there, but I don't look down at those who do - I'm just glad I don't have to tow or drive the bigger rigs.
    I do spend more time inside than I used to in the tent, but our season is longer, and I sit where I am most comfortable at the moment. I actually have a better view of the outside from my seat in the TT than I did our second pup, especially when I have the door open. Because our TT is easier for me to handle, even if I don't get in the TV and think "oh goody, I get to tow", I've been going camping more solo than with tents or pups.
    This will be our third full season with the Retro, we bought it in the fall of 2014. It has been interesting - we've literally had folks pull along side on the interstate to give us the thumbs up. Depending on the generation and gender of the person commenting, the terms tend to be "cool" or "cute".

tls2971, Orchid and Tom and Judie like this.
  6. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE
    Snowfam and tls2971 like this.
  7. Orchid

:laugh: I don't feel like a second class citizen dumpster diving, either. I can't wait to get back to it!

In fact, nothing I do makes me feel any kind of way other than who I am. Accept me or don't, I will never change for anyone. I even used to share some of our huge dumpster dive hauls on facebook. I'm sure my mom is cringing, but my dad is smiling. [LOL]

I did have to quit sharing on facebook due to some local competition getting ideas. [Guitar]

tls2971 and JPBar like this.
  8. Michele Spencer

Michele Spencer New Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Road goes both ways....when I had my 40' mh, I got a lot of crap about it "not being camping"...but I didn't really care, it worked for me. Now I have a vintage tt but I have camped in a tent, a utility trailer and bunked with other people. It doesn't matter what you are "in" just that you are out there having fun!

kitphantom likes this.
  9. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Texas
    Having finally taken our new pop up out for the first time a few weeks ago, I felt like I lost a little intimacy with nature. Just a slight reminiscent residue of nostalgia I guess. I could not imagine going much bigger, atleast not at this time. We spend most of our time outside anyway. One thing I think I noticed over the past few years is: the bigger the rig, the more time people spend in it. Not that there is anything wrong with that if that's what they want -- provided they are not snobby to people with less.

10. Orchid

Fact. This, unfortunately, has applied to me as well. Now that we have a pup with a bathroom, I find myself spending much more time inside than ever before. I was really self- aware of this last weekend. I spent less time in our pup with no bathroom, and no time in our tent, unless I was sleeping.

I camped in our daughter's very large hybrid one weekend and only really left the campsite once. Didn't spend much time outside either, other than around the campfire at night.

Right now, I am having some health problems and in a lot of pain. I can't walk very far and getting two knee replacements later this year. I'm hoping that is what is causing me to do less, rather than just getting too comfortable in the camper.

My parents have a Class A and they rarely come out. They camp right on the beach (pretty much exclusively) and come out maybe once a day to walk on the beach a bit. That's it. No campfire, not even chairs outside. They are in their 70's, so I get that they are older, but I don't want to get to that place at the age of 53.

11. Laney A

Laney A My crew: Me, hubby and our 3 K9's.

Oct 28, 2015
    Midwest
    I do not feel bad about the pop up we have now. However, there are parks that we've stopped at that do not allow campers older than 10 years. Last year, we pulled into a state park where almost everyone had large motor homes. I did wonder what the response would be. Many people seemed curious and one of the men drove his golf cart over to inform me that he'd started out with a pop up and always loved it. The conversation continued and I could tell he had fond memories. I asked, "Why'd you purchase the large motor home then?" His responded with a scowl on his face, "The wife."

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    JPBar likes this.
  12. jbruels

jbruels New Member

Aug 19, 2015
    I have never had much to do (actually nothing to do) with how other campers treat me. I've had nothing but positive interactions with my fellow campers! From the tour buses to the backpackers, we are all super interested in how each of us "do it." I pick up great tips all the time!

My thing has always been with park/resort management. By design, myself and my family are outside, running around and enjoying the resort. The only time (unless it's a downpour) we spend inside the camper is when we sleep and sometimes eat. This necessarily brings us more into contact with resort staff as we have questions, needs, requests and (sometimes) run afoul of rules we didn't know about. These interactions is when I feel the "second class citizen" vibe. I get the sense that resorts and parks appreciate self-contained big rigs because they tend to be low maintenance.

Honestly, I've had a resort manager come charging out of her office yelling at me that I was "doing it wrong" while setting up my pup. I had backed it in at an angle because I wanted the awning out over grass, not asphalt. She tried to argue with me that it was against fire code to have my trailer parked crooked!

So, here's the deal. I understand that running an RV resort or working seasonally for a concessionaire at a state park is no picnic. Especially when guests appear to knowingly violate rules that are clearly posted and want to treat you like a servant. That's why I try to be especially kind and reasonable with staff. AND, I'd also say that staff need to understand they are working with the public and it's all about approach. Coming to me saying "You know, call it a quirk, but the owner comes by every day and he likes to see rigs parked straight. I know it's a hassle but would you mind doing me a favor and straightening out your trailer?" is going to work a lot better than "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  13. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Franklin, NC
    I never camp at resorts or rv parks, so I don't get much blow back about being puppers. We mostly do National Forest, National Park, and State Park camp grounds, and prefer primitive camping where tents and pups can comfortably reside and co-mingle. My camping is about experiencing the great outdoors, not about bringing the indoors with me.
    I try not to judge others, I guess that's why they make so many different types of rigs, because everyone has different needs and wants.

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It could have been phrased better, but depending on how the local fire codes were and the design of the campground, there may very well be a limit to how off-straight you are supposed to park. In one national park campground we've used, there is an evacuation route, and rigs must be parked so that vehicles can follow the evacuation plan. That means not pulling in backwards to a pull-through, for example.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  15. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    SE Minnesota
    I grew up camping first in a tent, then in a pop-up, and later, when I met the women that was to be come my ex-wife, we started camping (along with her two girls) in a tent, then bought a pop-up, and had several years of fun ion that. Never once did I feel inferior or a second class citizen just because I didn't have a big motorhome to camp in. Most of our camping was in state parks, and you get mostly tents, pop-ups, or travel trailer. Not a lot of 5th wheels or motorhomes. There were a few each time, but they were in the minority.

16. Mausinn

Mausinn New Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Washington
    I have never felt 2nd class regardless of what form of camping I chose to do. I have camped in my tent next to huge urban assault vehicles that cost upwards of a half a million dollars or more, and if they looked down their noses at me I never noticed, for I simply don't care. I have camped in tents, TT's (21ft Nomad) Class C's ( 28 ft Honey), Class A's ( 38 ft Winnebago) and my favorite, my 79 VW Westfalia. Now, at 65, we found that climbing up into the upper bunk of the Westy to be a bit of a hassle so we bought a nice used PUP, a 95 Viking 1709. Like I said, I never think of it as 2nd class. In fact, if I ever had anyone come off to me as thinking I were 2nd class, I would just remember that in our latest move, we sold our property on Whidbey Island, and bought a condo for cash on the beach ( and I mean on the beach, it's right out our back door) in Ocean Shores, and picked up our little PUP. To me, that is far from 2nd class. We are doing exactly what we want to do, in the manner we want to do it....to me, that's first class all the way. People can only make you feel 2nd class if you let them.

17. jbruels

jbruels New Member

Aug 19, 2015
    My point precisely! I assume that rules aren't arbitrary (unless they are :p) but when you start the conversation with "You're doing it wrong!" it seldom goes well.

18. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

May 13, 2010
    I have never felt like a second class person and even if someone did I could care less. When people do commit on my popup they usually say "we started out in" or "I miss having one".

19. brokenotbroken

brokenotbroken Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Northwest Florida
    I only feel second class to tent campers...especially those that hike out to primitive sites carrying all their gear.

20. kevin g

kevin g New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Quispamsis, New Brunswick
    I've learned quite sometime ago that i don't need to buy things with money i don't have to impress people i don't like.

BirdsNest and JPBar like this.