Do you have a campfire?

Discussion in 'Campfires and Firewood' started by Haybale, Feb 3, 2016.

Do you have a campfire?

This poll will close on Jun 20, 2043 at 5:47 PM.
  1. Yes, always

59.9%
  2. Yes, usually

26.2%
  3. Yes, sometimes

11.0%
  4. No, never

2.1%
  5. No due to medical reasons

0.8%
  1. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Usually, but after experiencing Waldo Canyon and Black Forest wildfires and recently seeing the aftermath of the Hayman burn just returning to life, when the sign says "high fire danger" or judgement dictates otherwise, we respect Mother Nature's awesomeness!!!

Orchid likes this.
  2. 61cubby

61cubby New Member

Nov 12, 2014
    I guess I answered ususally because there have been a few times the rain has prevented it. If weather in dry, we always have a fire. That is just another and important part of the camping experience for us......and the marshmallows!

3. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Even at home we cook over a fire at least once a week!!

Orchid likes this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Same with us. Campfires are a big part of our lifestyle, even at home.

5. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Personally I wouldn't camp if I couldn't have a fire. To each his own!

6. MsMac

MsMac Member

May 19, 2016
    Have to say, I'm not a big fan of the campfire. I guess my answer would be "could do with it or without it". On the seemingly rare occasions when we are out when there is not a burn ban on, my partner might start one if he's in the mood- but it's definitely not something that I can't live without.

7. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Oct 9, 2015
    We, too, always have a campfire. Commonly in the sierras there is a no campfire when boondocking, but can still have them in the parks. If we are camping when there are restrictions we bring a bunch of candles, put them in the fire ring and then sit around that!

8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    One of the few times I camped in a burn ban I luckily had a tiki torch... However the area burned the previous week, nothing left to burn the ranger chuckled and said maybe it will be lifted soon... lol

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We camp where there are burn bans fairly often. I'm surprised candles and tiki torches are allowed, at least at the burn ban level we've usually encountered. Any open flame is banned. Usually we can use the propane campfire and propane lantern, or anything with an on/off valve. On one backpack trip in NM, we could use our stove, but not the candle lanterns; that was before we had good LED ones - equipment has improved greatly over the past few years.
    I think there is some interpretation or level of ban, depending on agency or local regs. When we bought the first pup, we ended up using it for cooking, since we only had a white gas camp stove, and even those were prohibited. We bought a propane lantern for that trip. Again, equipment has improved, so we have LED lanterns for outside the camper.

We did benefit from the propane campfire on our Thanksgiving trip, when the temperature fell throughout the weekend. It was also nice to be able to turn it off and head for the campers when the wind cranked up and the temperature plummeted right after supper on the last night.

10. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Streator, IL
    Always. The campfire is a focal point where friends and family can sit as a group to discuss, as a sort of self-contained unit, a variety of topics including current events, future plans and desires, and life in general. In earlier times before television and now smart phones, the family fireplace provided a gathering place for those experiences.
    Even tho I now camp alone, I find that the campfire warms the body as well as the soul and provides a relaxing period of introspection.

11. Arruba

Arruba Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    The two times I don't make a fire are:

Fire Restrictions are in place
    I am parked where a fire is unpractical, like a Walmart parking lot

Otherwise it's blaze on [CP]

Orchid likes this.
  12. Lonewolf55

Lonewolf55 Going NoWhereFast

Mar 25, 2015
    I would like to see how many people have campfires during the day, or just at night. I've been to several provate "Commercial" campgrounds where people were burning garbage in their campfires after breakfast. Plastic, bags, eating utensils and food packaging. I love to sit around a campfire and chew the fat with friends and camp neighbors, but having someones obnoxious dying campfire sending a ton of smoke over to my trailer is a real pain. I general like to sit a watch a campfire, but I don't like being doused in the smoke and ashes.

So while I only rarely ever build my own campfire, please enjoy yours, but keep it friendly to your neighbors ! Community fire pits away from other peoples campsites are a great thing !!

Rick
    Caesar & Dakota

13. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Only at night. We do any cooking on interior stove. Never camped in active bear country.

14. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    Oh heck yes!
    One of the reasons that we camp at all, is that Julie has an inner pyromaniac that she likes to let out from time to time. :)
    I'm not allowed to touch the firepit at camp sites or at home... those are her domain.
    (In fairness, she can coax a roaring blaze from a pile of rain-soaked logs, so she's pretty good at it!)

But always in a fire ring, always monitored and no, we don't burn trash or cook over it. The fire is purely for warmth and enjoyment.

Ian - The Man From Scotland

Orchid likes this.
  15. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    That is way higher than I anticipated!!!

16. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    We've always had a campfire unless restricted.
    My campfire observation: Everyone with a flashlight points the flashlight beam into the fire. . . .

Is it just the people I hang out with :cool:?

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I can't remember if I voted, I always have campfire. Ryan and Moisses are my witnesses...

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We always an early morning campfire. Our breakfasts are almost pie iron made. We have never burned trash in our campfire. We also put the fire all the way out before taking off anywhere. We don't leave it to smoke. I would be too paranoid to leave coals to die out.

After that, we don't light the campfire again until evening, usually. The only reason I can ever remember having a mid day fire is to once again cook with pie irons.

You would enjoy Fort Wilderness at Disney World. They only allow personal fires in a certain kind of fire pit. It must have mesh sides and a solid top. Actually, not much of a campfire at all, so we don't own one. They never go on sale, after season, so probably never will.

This is my least favorite thing about Fort Wilderness, but I understand why they have the restrictions in place.

They do have community campfires every evening with Chip & Dale to roast marshmallows and an outdoor movie. This is well away from any of the campsites.

19. Arruba

Arruba Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    As for day, night, or both depends on the weather and/or how many in camp. In short, if it's cold then probably at least morning and evening. If it's hot then not till after dark. If l'm by myself I'll probably cook on the fire morning and evening. If it's a group I set up the stove/kitchen and everyone hangs around the fire while the short straw draw-er gets to cook. If it's snowy, it takes a small scale logging operation to keep us in wood for the day.[CP]

20. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Jan 23, 2011
    We have one even if it is 95 degrees out. We cook over the fire for almost every meal. We also have a campfire at our house at least once a week during the camping season.