Do you have a savory DO meal that's simple?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by BelchFire, Jun 19, 2017.

1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    We'll be camping next week, and I'm planning some meals. So far, it's looking like chicken cordon blue, a quiche and maybe chicken and yellow rice. What I'm wishing for is something savory, like beef tips with veggies, roast pork loin or something stir-fried.

My DO rules are simple: I like a minimum of ingredients (I don't take many spices beyond S&P and cinnamon for cobblers), as often as possible, even measures (1 can of this, 1 can of that, etc because leftovers are a pain in the cooler) and cooking times below 1-1/2 hours (because we like the outdoors and don't want to spend 3 hours replacing the coals.)

What recipes would you like to share? Beef or pork is always good!

2. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    i like fajitas. fast simple good

3. Redbird934

Redbird934 Member

Mar 5, 2017
  4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    We make some really good roasted potatoes. They work well as a side dish for the dinner meal, and the leftovers are used in the morning with scrambled eggs, or we dump everything in for a breakfast scramble. Just season the potatoes as you see fit. We use herbs de provence, garlic, pepper, salt, tossed in oil and some other spices that I can't remember right now.

BelchFire likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I make like a mixed vegetable dish with kalbasa. Mainly summer vegetables, but add onion, and green peppers. Pretty much any vegetables you like can work. Coat the veggies with oil and sprinkle with seasoning. I use a ranch powder as it already comes in a small package and doesn't take much to store. Once somewhat cooked add chopped kalbasa or your choice of meat. It's a very versatile dish and fairly quick to cook. Prep work isn't too bad. I froze my onions and squash but I prefer fresh.

BelchFire likes this.
  6. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Take a pork loin, add finely chopped carrots and onions, add a can of beer, season with S&P and cook until its done. then take the juices, bring to a boil and serve over the loin.

sierrapup and BelchFire like this.
  7. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Meat of any type cooked over an open wood flame. Does it really need to be more complicated than that?

8. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    We've done lasagna in the DO several times and it comes out pretty well.

9. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Kentucky
  10. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    nomorecoop, how long do you typically cook a pork loin? Does it do OK on the tripod, or do I need to shovel coals on the lid as well? I may give that a try; it sounds good.

I'm also going to to try dlaudens' beef roast; I showed that to DW and she said "YES!" [LOL]

11. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Wisconsin
    Bloody Mary stew.
    Just put whatever meat and vegetables you want in the pot and add nothing more than your favorite Bloody Mary mix. Let it stew over the fire until the veggie and meat are done.

12. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

May 8, 2015
    Upstate New York
    The easiest DO oven meal I make is with a can of Mountain Dew and boneless chicken breasts. Chicken comes out perfectly cooked with a great flavor. You can also add bacon, onions, carrots, etc.

I cook a few bags of instant rice on the camp stove to complete the meal.

13. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Guadalupe chili pie, best with homemade chili but works with canned. Get the chili hot and pour prepared cornbread batter over the top. Bake until GBAD.

14. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Pork loin is one of our favorites. You can put it in a bag and let it marinate in the cooler. Get your grill nice and hot - 500 degrees is good. Then do 9, 8, 7. Nine minutes on one side. Flip and 8 minutes on the other. Then remove and let rest for 7. We do this often because it is so easy, can be prepped before we leave, and the leftovers are great in a breakfast hash with veggies and an over easy egg the next morning.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

15. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Jan 8, 2012
    You need coals on top. I bake it at 350* using a charcoal briquette cooking chart.

16. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Member

May 22, 2013
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I made Jambalaya last week during my SW Oregon road trip. I scaled the recipe (that I loosely followed) to allow for 8, so that my friends could take some home for later. Easy enough to scale up or down, if you have the right equipment. I find solo cooking in a DO is difficult (mainly because I don't have a small enough one).

17. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Surprise, AZ
    Bourbon steak tips is quite yummy!

I throw my meats and marinades in vacuum bags, then freeze, this way i'm not taking to many ingredients or doing prep on site. When camping we pull a bag out, let it thaw and marinate, cook and you can use some corn starch and boil the marinade to use as sauce on top. The steak tips get cooked in the cast iron skillet we take. Veggies can be cut up and thrown in a foil packet to cook. https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/honey-bourbon-steak-tips/

I do the same with kebabs, I skewer them at home (Snip the ends off the skewers), dump in my marinade, vacuum seal and freeze. Grill on site.

18. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Colorado
    I do not go on a camping trip without a can of Van De Camps Beenie-Weenies ....of course it HAS to cook on top of the fire grill so you get all that nice smoke and ash inside it! yummie-yum!

19. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    ^^ That boy ain't right...[LOL]

20. brokenotbroken

brokenotbroken Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Northwest Florida
    I can't help myself. Every time I hear pork loin...