Do You Have An Axle??

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by sawdusty, Mar 22, 2018.

1. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    I encounter a gentleman today who stated and I quote, "MOST POP UPS DON'T HAVE AN AXLE, THEY USE TWO SEPARATE MOUNTS WITH A COIL SPRING." What the heck? Anyone here consider that statement to be true?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Never saw one like that.

sawdusty likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Every PUP or TT have seen or worked on had an axle..

sawdusty likes this.
  4. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    He is wrong.

sawdusty likes this.
  5. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Is he from Australia ?

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    He couldn't be more wrong. Was this a salesman or just a guy talking out of his butt?

7. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Yes, they do make trailers without axles. Timbren has a set up. Definitely not common.

http://timbren.com/axle-less/

And for those who hate backing up a trailer there is a trailer with only one tire and no axle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  8. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Member

Mar 7, 2018
    My 2009 Starcraft has a solid axle with leaf springs. I cannot imagine that a camper manufacturer would use independent suspension with coils.

9. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I had no doubt that this was true, I even did a very quick search just to see what that would look like (found nothing in the top five responses so I moved on), but to say, "Most pop ups don't have an axle" is talking out of his butt.

tfischer likes this.
  10. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I could see it as a useful application if you wanted to take your pup way off-road.

11. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Most of the trailer axles used on popups are only a straight bar/tube, with a slight curve in the middle with spindles welded on each side of the tube/bar and some spring mounts, unless they are the torflex designed with no springs. I imagine there are some popups with drop axles.

12. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    This is what he is talking about. Has it on his Dutchman. I am under the impression it is a modification to his and therefore his statement that most pop ups don't have an axle reflects his lack of knowledge.

13. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Independent coil spring suspension is more common overseas. I first saw it on Australian off road pups.

14. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    They would be fantastic on a off-road trailer. I know on my trailer's lowest clearance is between the axle and the ground at approx. 12" (+/- .5") whereas the frame to the ground is 23.25".

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    It would we good for autocross racing with a trailer

16. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    I failed to put the link on my post: DUH! https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axles/Timbren/A35RS545.html

17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I would love to have setup like this on my off-road POPUP... This is from down-under...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

18. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Someone on here built one for off road that used independent suspension.

19. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Sounds like way over kill for a camper.

20. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Thirty-some years ago, a buddy of mine and I took a tent camping road trip to explore Colorado and for a couple of nights, we stayed in a small, undeveloped, free campground in the Collegiate Range. It was remote and there were no facilities for the dozen or so marked spots. The only way to get back to the campsites was by four wheel drive vehicle because the road into the campground was VERY rocky. But when we made it back to the campsites, guess what was there in the only occupied spot? A pop up! I still don't know how the owners got it back there without damaging that camper, but there it was. The pup was just a run of the mill pup with your leaf spring suspension, but if a pup ever needed independent and heavy duty suspension, this one was it!