Do you have any camping traditions?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Tulip, May 10, 2019.

1. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Family traditions have always fascinated me and I'd love to hear if any of you have traditions related to camping.
    We have a couple:
    ~ a family selfie in front of the provincial sign each time we cross into a new-to-us province.
    ~ Road pie - we buy a pie from a bakery or grocery store and eat it while on the road. It started because we bought one, intending to eat it on a picnic following a hike but we got rained out and we were hungry so we sat in the van and passed the pie plate around, eating using plastic forks we had stashed in the glove compartment. Now it's a thing.
    ~ family play list - everyone has to contribute one new song to the family play list for the trip and we always play a few old favourites we sing along to. And we always play Home for a Rest on the way home.
    ~ searching out "big" things to take pictures with. On our trip last summer we took selfies with the giant nickel in Sudbury, the goose in Wawa, the Winnie the Pooh statue in White River, a giant camel named Sara in Saskatchewan, a giant pysanky easter egg in Alberta and a giant nose in Vancouver. The weirder the better.

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

We always make "happy camper breakfast". Thick bacon, eggs, then a mickey mouse waffle with nutella, strawberries/blueberries, and whipped cream.

Tulip likes this.
  3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Hummmmm Maybe that would be Nueske's bacon and BB pancakes for us. We use real syrup and make real coffee as well.

Tulip and neighbormike like this.
  4. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

The Sunday of Memorial Day weekend we always have a giant meal at the campground. Usually at least 20 of us in attendance. We have done ribs, chicken, and pork shoulders over the fire, briskets in the smoker, etc. This year we're doing a seafood boil with shrimp, lobster tail, mussels, corn, and redskin potatoes. We also have one night reserved for hobo pie pizzas. My grown kids have said they will quit camping if we ever stop making those.

Redbird234 and Tulip like this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

biscuits and gravy first morning there

Tulip and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  6. RkyMountainRose

RkyMountainRose Member

We have “last log,” where we save the last log from a bundle of firewood, and use it to start the first fire at the next campground.

I also have a board that my dad used to use to level his camper, that has gone with me on every camping trip I’ve ever been on.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Nueske's used to be my customer. The woman I dealt with sent me some bacon. Mmmmm Good.

neighbormike, Tulip and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Semi-charred Hebrew Nationals on an open fire, no buns, dipped in Heinz 57 & dill mustard, washed down w/ an RC or Coke Cola...used to include Jiffy Pop; after YEARS of burning the stuff, I finally had 1 come out perfect w/ no torched kernels bout 10 years ago & stopped the tradition, figured I'd never be able to do it again...

Orchid, Sjm9911, kcsa75 and 2 others like this.
  9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We make egg mcmuffin style sandwiches on the griddle for last morning breakfast. Easy cleanup, filling, and I hate cold breakfasts on a campout, which so many of our friends and scouts seem to do on their last breakfast before packing up.

Tulip likes this.
  10. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Only the guys cook on family campouts. Gives the ladies a break and of course we each try to out do the others.

Limmer, Orchid, kcsa75 and 1 other person like this.
  11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

We have kind of a strange one in that we always stop at Pizza Ranch to eat on the way home for the last day. Doesn't matter which direction we are coming from, but we find one and stop there. We also always make one of those no bake cheese cake deserts one of the evenings we are out.

tfischer and Tulip like this.
  12. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

We will end set up with a review of the BSA Oath and Law, the Outdoor Code, Leave No Trace guidelines, and camp rules. Then a hike around the campground to see the sights and find the potty. Finally, recite the rosary to put the boys to sleep. I'm going to try to keep a camping journal.

We haven't really spent a lot of time camping as a family before, so we are starting fresh.

The rosary and journal are traditions that my grandparents kept. My grandpa died last January, days after I bought the pup, and my grandma's days of road tripping are long gone. These are little ways to bring them with us every trip.

Heartcamping, Nani2, Orchid and 4 others like this.
  13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

This got me to thinking because DW and I are tradition kind of folks... nope. Nothing consistent. We have foods we cook, but it's not every time. We have things we do, but it's location specific. The only tradition we have is getting out there as much as we can. This weekend we were going to go out, but they forecast a high wind warning of gusts to 60 mph, so I figured I didn't want to tow the TT in that... but here we are 30 minutes before DW quits work and it's only mildly breezy, so I'm very tempted... Wish we did have some sort of tradition.

Heartcamping, Orchid, Sjm9911 and 2 others like this.
  14. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

What is a hobo pie pizza?

hayyward and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

I love that you are continuing traditions from your grandparents.

Muller 5 likes this.
  16. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Most of our traditions are based around the kids. I wonder if we will develop new ones when the kids are too old to camp with us.

17. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

On our first vacation together we were out west and stopped at an A&W place for a bite to eat. Had to get a rootbeer float. We don't have A&W here, so started getting Wendy's Frosty on our way home. Usually always go to the same place about an hour from home. Been doing that for 30+ years now. Our oldest son and his partner do the same thing; so the tradition continues. ;)

Karen in Iowa likes this.
  18. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

We don’t have any traditions, yet, but I’m sure we will as we get out camping more often!

Tulip, since you went from Sudbury to Wawa, I wonder if you went through Echo Bay and got a pic with the giant Loonie? Bob Carmichael was the designer of the loon and he lived nearby there. He has sadly passed away now, but he was a friend of our family and I remember going to his fabulous house with gorgeous art studio.
    http://www.bigthings.ca/ontario/loonie-echo-bay.html

Tulip likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Made in a pie iron. So , bread cheese and sause, maybe a topping. I always make hobo pies for desert, unfortunately im the only one that likes them!
    Get one of the popcorn poppers for over the fire, always a big hit, and i havent burnt it yet. I get the topping suff at wall mart to put on it for flavor. Its like a tin fold up box that you add the corn to. Old school. And works well.

I need to make some traditions. Like all of us though , we do have one tradition in common that will be remembered, and thats the actual camping trip itself. Your kids will remember and hopefully carry on that tradition. Its possibly the most important one!

20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

It looks like my tradition is coming to an end. As long as I can remember, my dad always had a roll or two of Necco wafers on his dash for road trips. He would eat them along the way. I started doing the same thing when I got my license.

But Necco wafers are going/gone out of business, so I won't have a roll on my dash anymore.

HappyTraveler likes this.