Do you have any camping traditions?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Tulip, May 10, 2019.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I was scheduled to do the 1000 Island cruise. They had to cancel it due to a summer storm. The following day I was able to go. Everyone kept telling me how sorry they were. I had no idea about what, but just thanked them.

Found out later that the storm that cancelled my original cruise was the after storm of Katrina.

2. pilgrim

pilgrim Member

I usually wind up arriving and setting up camp solo and then friends and family filter in and out for the stay. Since I do all the work getting settled and got tired of cooking AND cleaning up the first night, I started picking up sushi in Saugerties, NY before reaching North-South Lake Campground. Nothing like sitting on the rock looking at the sunset over the lake with a bottle of pinot noir to wash down the "bait." Started this about five years ago and don't think I'll ever change it, unless someone else makes it to opening night.

3. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Fire grilled steak, pan fried potatoes, green peas, a bottle of wine, and reminiscing about our first meal together on our honeymoon over fifty years ago. We do this as close to June 17 as possible.

Honeymoon was a truck camping trip through northern Colorado- Fort Morgan, Rocky Mtn NP, ,Steamboat Springs area, Craig, Dinosaur Ntl. Monument, Lilly Park, Douglas Pass to Grand Junction to meet with spouses grandfather too old and frail to travel to wedding. Thence slowly back toward Ft Collins by way of Glenwood Springs, Aspen, a couple of high passes, Leadville, and home.

Wish I still had that Dodge Power Wagon!

4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

We do the magnet thing too. Nothing is magnetic in my pup either so I plan on adding a piece of sheetmetal painted with chalkboard paint to the fridge door. I have the metal and paint but haven’t gotten a chance to do the work yet.

We have a couple trip traditions in the family. For as long as I can remember (I think a lot longer than I’ve been alive actually) the youth group at our church back home has a camping trip and fishing derby for the kids every year at a local State Park. I always loved that weekend and looked forward to it al year as a kid and still do now that I get to take my kids.

Then my extended family always hits up another local State Park in early June every year. This tradition has been around for at least 20 years, but I can’t remember exactly how far back.

Orchid, Tulip, Sjm9911 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Martlee

Martlee New Member

I have a tradition every time I camp. After I set up the camper, I sit back with my legs up on the couch and have an ice cold beer. Can't think of anything more relaxing.

indieiggy, kcsa75, Kampus and 2 others like this.
  6. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

you can also buy some magnetic paint instead of installing sheetmetal

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

I just realized... we have bought bumper stickers from the places we’ve gone to since buying our ALiner. So I guess that has become a tradition for us. We stick them on the side of the camper. I also bought a magnet at our last spot, but it’s on our fridge at home. I’ll probably pick up a few more this year, but definitely the stickers!

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Limmer

Limmer Member

For us it is eggs in a bag our first morning and toasting Starburst candies over the fire.

9. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

This long weekend is my families first ever camping trip. My wife is from the former Soviet Union. If you ever went camping over there you were either in the Soviet Army or the Gulag and as you know neither one was meant to be fun or pleasant. There is plenty of hunting and fishing excursions now, but back in the Soviet times only government leadership did any thing remotely like our camping. My children have been wanting to go for a couple of years now. So this trip will set our family camping traditions. I think I may take some vodka along just to remember the good old days.

Tulip, HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee Ken, We've got a few Soviet U friends, but now you've got me wondering about there camping..... Maybe they don't? They might all be from the Ukraine, if that counts.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

My wife is from Georgia. They had a farm and from what I saw living on their farm was as close to camping as you can get without wheels. When I first went to their farm back 2007 they had no running water, occasional electricity and a small wood stove adjacent to the food preparation area for heat. My camper has more conveniences than their farm house. Sanitation was a wooden hut and gravity down the hillside. The beds are straw filled. After the on again off again Georgian civil war roughly between 93-2000 their society went to heck in a hand basket. No factories, no exports to speak of besides wine and mineral water to Russia, and very high unemployment and alcoholism. Never saw a campground in the 7 years I was there.

12. RkyMountainRose

RkyMountainRose Member

We are camping near Ft. Morgan this weekend!

13. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP Member

Letter boxing, Hang our pirate flag off the camper since my wife says we are pirates. Hiking, games for the kids.

HappyTraveler and Tulip like this.
  14. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

YEP. Same here. 1st morning is the old B&G, the second morning is "build a breakfast." We set up 3 campstoves and one makes eggs, another sausages, a third bacon and the rest cut up the peppers and onions and tomatoes. We set out the cheeses, tortillas and biscuits and set it out as a buffet. Then we have a three bucket wash station for the cleanup and everyone chips in. Even the kids tell me they have fun cooking with their parents, at least that's what they say when I get back from McDonald's.

HappyTraveler and Tulip like this.
  15. Oldshirt

Oldshirt New Member

Thirty years ago I started taking 4 year old daughter camping and always had Smokies followed by S’mores. Now she, her husband and 7 year old daughter do the same thing when they take their PU out in Tennessee. My wife and I do the same with the other grandkids here in Idaho. Love it!!!

16. Tulip

Tulip Member

Love that this is a multi generational tradition. How awesome.

17. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP Member

Are smokies like slim jims? or meat sticks. I believe I have had them before.

18. Oldshirt

Oldshirt New Member

They’re a weiner-sized hot dog/smoked sausage, basically a large version of the Little Smokies cocktail sausages.

19. indieiggy

indieiggy Member

When we were kids my dad used to bring along a BB gun and we'd shoot soda cans. I would always outshoot my brother ;) We also always caught crawdads in the river.

And did you really go camping if you didn't have s'mores? [?:~{] hahaha that's always on our must-have list.

I've been pretty sporadic about camping over the last several years, but hoping to change that in the coming years and create some new traditions!

20. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I have an old steel cooler full of stickers from travels when I was single. Now married with kids, I have a new steel cooler, with stickers from places we camp and explore :)

Traveling, camping and exploring with family, I add stickers to my truck tailgate too.

indieiggy and Tulip like this.