Do you have any camping traditions?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Tulip, May 10, 2019.

1. Oldshirt

Oldshirt New Member

Gotta love s’mores!!!

Tulip and indieiggy like this.
  2. Karen in Iowa

Karen in Iowa New Member

3. Karen in Iowa

Karen in Iowa New Member

Our first camping trip was in 1963; we went to South Dakota with several families. We also stopped at an A&W for rootbeer. Our mother purchased three small glass A&W mugs as souvenirs and one still survives! There are A&W restaurants here in Iowa, but not the curbside / carhop type of the 60s. Thanks for rekindling a precious memory!

Tulip, Oldshirt and HappyTraveler like this.
  4. Oldshirt

Oldshirt New Member

Grew up on A&W back in Oklahoma in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s and still long for it. A “huge” (for the times) root beer float in a frosted mug made the world right!

5. Sacramento Pop Up

Sacramento Pop Up Member

Stealing these ones! Haha.

In the past we always camped at the same campground, the same time every year and the entire family and friends and their families would camp for a week. It was awesome kind of like a rendezvous!

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

We always stop and drive the go carts on the way home.

Tulip and HappyTraveler like this.
  7. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

One time back when we tent camped, we were going to stay at a local state park and it rained the day and night before our reservation and all of the firewood was soaked. My brother had a great idea and brought his torch he uses to melt roofing tar. It worked like a charm and we even started fires for other people. So that's what we do every time now. Hadn't thought of it as a tradition though.

8. Nicole721

Nicole721 Member

On our way into the tourist area we are going, we stop at a visitor center and pick up all the little brochures before we get to camp. If there is a local brewery that sells beer to go somewhat in route, we stop and pick up some (if not we buy something out of ordinary before we go). Setup camp, then sit and drink our beer and flip through all the brochures. Even though you can find just about everything you want to do online we still come across things we didn't find. And always cook at camp the first night. Then just stay at the campsite and explore the park. We usually stay at state parks so lots of walking trails.

HappyTraveler and Tulip like this.
  9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I feel like this. I love this thread and reading all the traditions people have. Even though I have camped literally my entire life, we have no actual traditions, other than camping itself.

I carried on the tradition of camping with my kids, and now my grandchildren. Reading this thread, however, makes me want to start a new tradition. Just can't think of anything yet. I'll keep reading and hoping for some non-food related ideas!

Sjm9911, indieiggy and HappyTraveler like this.
  10. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

There does seem to be a lot of food related traditions.
    Another thing we do is a camp journal although I am not as on top of this as I would like to be. I try to ask the kids about the best memories to add to the journal.

We also often do a small table decoration of found objects as a centerpiece. It can be anything from rocks, moss, shells and driftwood to wildflowers. We either put them on a small plate or use a mason jar. We only do this if it's not against the rules of the campground we are staying at (or if we can easily return items like rocks or shells) and we only do it if we're staying 2 or more nights. I bring jarred candles that we light at dinner for a little bit of civilization in the wild.

I hope you can find something that works for you. I have about 10 books on family traditions on my bookshelf and I didn't find one camping tradition in them which was one of the reasons I asked here.

Orchid, HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  11. Orchid

I LOVE this idea! I think this may be perfect for us! We normally camp at the beach and always have treasures we find while we're there. I think a centerpiece for each trip sounds like a great activity that can involve everyone. The grandchildren will love this!

Didn't want food related, as everyone in our family has very different food preferences. I wanted something we could all do together. Usually 3 or 4 generations camp together.

Sjm9911 and Tulip like this.
  12. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

that's so awesome that you have so many generations together. I bet if you asked the younger kids they would have memories of things that you "always" do camping - maybe a game you play, or someone reading or telling the same stories.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

They might! I will ask them today. Two of our 5 grandchildren are ones that go with us 90% of the time. One is a baby and the other two grandsons don't like camping that much.

What they do love is gathering treasures! I give them each a box on each trip to keep it under control. They can only keep what will fit in the box. I use those semi-disposable food storage boxes that you can two in a set from Dollar Tree. The beach has LOTS of fun stuff to find.

I am going to have them participate in finding things for our centerpiece the day of arrival, from now on. They will be absolutely trilled, and can gather things that are normally too big for their treasure boxes. We may not keep the centerpieces, unless it's something really special, but we will make a tradition of taking a photo with it to remember the trip by.

Thank you so much for this great idea! I used to keep a camping journal, but I was the only one who ever wrote in it or read it, so didn't get the whole family involved.

Yes, I am very blessed to have so many generations of family still able to camp together. Usually, us, one or more of our grown kids, and whatever grandchildren are there will stay on the "river loop" where it is wooded and much more like my idea of camping. The beach is within the park, but we drive to it. My parents, when they go, stay in their motor home on the "beach loop," which is more like a parking lot with a few trees. We all spend time together during the days and have a campfire at our wooded site.

14. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

I hope to camp with my grandkids - although my kids are still just teens so I am not in a hurry.
    Your treasure box reminded me of something I read on one site I visited about doing a scavenger hunt with the kids with a list of things to find. Some were very specific items like "find a pretty leaf" but others were up to interpretation like "find something spiky" or "find something out of place" of "find something you have never seen before". Adults participated too - and the clues give everyone something to talk about regarding their treasures and sparked some creative thinking.

15. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

We get a magnet from every place that we stay. Since the door on our PUP has a rather large metal portion, it makes a great place to stick them. I smile every time I take a look at it and remember all the great places we've been to.

I keep a journal with us in the PUP and make sure to spend some time on each trip writing down info on the campground, and about our adventures. It's really fun to look at, especially during the long winter months.

I also take a LOT of photos. One thing I have done since our tent camping days is to take photos of the "before" and "after" at the campsite. Usually, the "before" is just as we've pulled in, with the PUP still hitched to the truck, and the "after" is when we have everything set up, before it gets "lived in". I also make sure we have at least one selfie of the two of us on every trip. Thank God for digital cameras... :D

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

They had a scavanger hunt at promised land state park in PA. My daughter loved it, it had some easy and harder stuff to find. All good to keep the kido busy for a few hours and a good excuse to get her up for a walk.

17. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

We've taken pictures of pretty much every campsite we've stayed in. I also try to get the site number in at least one of them.
    Agree on loving the digital, and now cell phone, cameras.

Tulip likes this.
  18. chili1962

chili1962 New Member

Hopefully they return later this year. That seems to be the plan.

19. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

When our kids were young we always had a huge airplane kite that only came out once we were at a campground. But other than that it is 1x a year we have a family campout with my sis and brother-in-law and catching a tornado or severe weather at least during 1 camping trip a year.

20. Lebowski16

Lebowski16 New Member

We try to find some sort of trinket, usually free or randomly obtained that we add to a collection that stays in the camper. Currently searching for some sort of treasure chest to put these things in. we have a couple items so far. 1 was a plastic little toy from an arcade when we stayed at Salisbury Beach, MA. The others are these wooden fish we painted all high at a music festival.