Do you have license plates on your camper?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Buttermilk, Jun 15, 2012.

  1. Buttermilk

    Buttermilk New Member

    May 6, 2012
    In Tennessee, tags are not required for utility trailers, boat trailers and other small trailers, but apparently they are required for campers.
    I got tags for mine when I bought it and they expired last October. I've been camping twice this year about 30 miles from home and haven't
    renewed the tags yet, but I guess I will soon as we are going on a 100 mile trip in a couple of weeks and I don't want to end up with a ticket.
  2. Aladin Sane

    Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

    Jul 3, 2008
    In Iowa, tags are required, so I have them up to date.
  3. cwolfman13

    cwolfman13 New Member

    Feb 9, 2011
    Yes....tags are required here in NM. Actually, I've never heard of anywhere that doesn't require tags for an RV. You have to have tags here for utility trailers and boat trailers as well...but as they are utilitarian, you get a "lifetime" tag so you don't have to renew every year. For RVs we have to re-new the registration every year.
  4. CarNutCass

    CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

    Mar 20, 2009
    St. Charles
    Missouri requires tags too. I renewed ours a couple months ago and got three year tags.
  5. papachaz

    papachaz New Member

    Jun 26, 2011
    GA requires them too, so yes i have a plate on mine. I don't think Alabama requires plates on any trailer though. this caused a problem for SIL's parents who were in process of trading for a camper from someone over the line in AL. it had changed owners multiple times, with no title updates done. when his mom went to get the plates, she couldn't. the thought was that it could change people in AL without a way for them to know if the title wasn't processed each time because since they're not required to have a tag, they were never stopped and checked. they gave up on it, because the PO didn't want to have to trace down a title....
  6. daveo1289

    daveo1289 Member

    Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    In New York, we have to license, register and inspect everything. Even 24 oz and popcorn.
  7. stefbauer

    stefbauer New Member

    Sep 1, 2009
    [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] that was funny!
  8. zimerman

    zimerman New Member

    Sep 1, 2006
    In Michigan all trailers have to be licensed, but it is a lifetime plate unless you sell it or transfer title, then you have to
    get a new plate.


    51 DH
    51 DW
    1999 Coachman 1060St
    2005 Chevy Z71
  9. fmbhappycamper

    fmbhappycamper PuP Power

    Aug 27, 2010
    Yes, same as an auto must renew every year on your birthday month [:(]
  10. Bjune

    Bjune New Member

    Oct 27, 2010
    Ha... just try to go camping in Texas without a license plate. In fact we just got our notice yesterday that ours expires in July... Just $56 this year. Went up $10 !!! Oh well, what hasn't gone up. Still gotta camp...
  11. Unstable_Tripod

    Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

    May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Washington State would never let such a revenue opportunity slip past. All trailers must be licensed. I have to buy a new sticker for the trailer's license plate every July. It's in the $30-35 category if I remember correctly.
  12. raymonk

    raymonk New Member

    May 13, 2011
    Yep, tags in Indiana. Thanks for the reminder, my plates are due the end of the month.
  13. trav

    trav New Member

    Mar 15, 2012
    Re: Re: Do you have license plates on your camper?

    They gave me a permanent registration sticker for my pup.
    Guess I got lucky?

    Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
  14. dion

    dion Member

    Apr 26, 2012
    In California, you're always required to have license plates, but you can register a PUP as a "camp trailer" or as a "trailer coach". If you register it as a camp trailer, you are eligible for "permanent trailer" plates, which means you keep the same plates indefinitely, no yearly stickers, and you only have to pay a $10.00 fee every five years. A bargain! If you register as a "trailer coach", you get to pay much higher annual registration fees, including property tax, that will typically be a 3 digit number (maybe high 2 digits) annually. Obviously, I'm registered as a camp trailer.

    Larger travel trailers have no option of registering as a camp trailer. Once the trailer is over 16 feet from hitch to bumper, if it's not a "tent trailer", then it's a trailer coach subject to annual registration.
  15. smoreking

    smoreking Member

    Sep 15, 2009
    Small Town, Middle TN
    Buttermilk, I was told that I wouldn't need tags as long as I stayed in the state of TN. I do have tags because I want to travel to other states too. If you don't plan on leaving TN, you may be fine without.
  16. bondo54

    bondo54 Active Member

    Aug 15, 2010
    Cost is $75.00
  17. 72coxtentcampers

    72coxtentcampers New Member

    May 3, 2012
    We have antique plates. Only had to pay a registration fee and they are good for life.
  18. EK41

    EK41 Member

    Nov 5, 2010
    Yes, tags are the law. However, it has taken me over six months and still don't have them transfered to Washington yet. They expire on the 24th, so not sure its going to happen in time. Being in the Air Force I have registered vehicles in a lot of states, but man is Washington the most difficult. The hold up now is the electronic title. I should have paid the PUP off to get the title and I could have had this settled already. But I didn't and still have a lein so the bank has to get a copy of the etitle from California and send that to Washinton. It is taking forever. Good thing this paperless electronic everyting is making our life easier.
  19. cwolfman13

    cwolfman13 New Member

    Feb 9, 2011
    Re: Re: Do you have license plates on your camper?

    No flippin' way!!! I was practically on my knees begging for one because that's what I got for my utility trailer and the boat trailer and they told me they couldn't do it for an RV.....jerks! Did you go to the real MVD or the Xpress?
  20. Raycfe

    Raycfe Waterford Ct.

    Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Yes .... 18 dollars for 2 years.

Share This Page