Does such a thing exist? Super simple, rugged, pop up camper.

Discussion in 'Vintage & Off The Wall Campers' started by dbhost, Jun 10, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Okay your signature line intrigues me. A 97 Saturn SL2 and a 1973 Monkey Ward pop up? Is the Saturn the TV?

FWIW, we've got an '01 SL2 Automatic... Decent little car...

Just found your thread on your little Pop Up... That thing is AWESEOME! I love the simple lightweight setups.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Haybale likes this.
  2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I had not heard this. Sad... I always thought they were nice trailers although I had a few nitpicks. Expensive though.

4. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Yes they do! Kind of steeply priced though... On the used market, pop up truck campers seem to go on the cheap. I see a LOT of late 80s - mid 90s Starcraft pop up slide ins in excellent condition averaging for about $2K...

5. Overland

Overland Active Member

Trailers I was considering and popular with the Jeeper's..

Coleman Colorado
    Fleetwood Neon
    Livin Lite 6.0
    Kamparoo.. i'd have liked a Weekender model.

There's a few other older single slide pups like the Coleman Jamestown, StarCraft? Meteor, and probably one or two i'm forgetting.

Those can all be found used and under $5k i'd imagine. Theres a LL 6.0 locally for 4500 iirc and I know a guy selling a LL 10.0

6. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Those all look awesome. One item I am noting, and it appears to be pretty universal, all of them have undersized beds. They are close to queen, but not close enough. Not a problem for most / many people, but with large couples, that can be an issue...

I think the Livin Lite is the only one wiht a 60" wide bunk... It's basically a queen shortened by 2". Something peculiar about the design though. What is the platform on the back of the trailer for?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  7. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Quicksilver did actually make a couple sizes of truck campers. Looks like they didn’t have A/C or furnaces though and I’m not sure of the bed size.

A homemade foamie teardrop could possibly fit the bill.

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=c2a26ca1b89b230f9b72df0562463bb8

Haybale and Byrd_Huntr like this.
  8. Overland

Overland Active Member

:)

I'v been following this thread but forgot the queen requirement once I read Jeep friendly.. :)

Cargo I assume, i'v seen pics with wood, coolers and the like. I personally don't care for it as it's not removable, but I believe they also had the option to delete it.

9. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

I am making the same assumption, which is fine for those that off road but don't go radical. Beach going, logging roads fine. Rock crawling forget it.

10. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

My first question is, what the heck is a foamie? So I followed your link, and wouldn't ya know it, there's a sticky thread on that...

I've actually seen a couple of builds that I would like to consider doing my version of... Assuming I can somehow fenagle the space to work in. For now I am working toward the pop up, but long term for ME at least...

The L-Life camper which is a Nida Core / Fiberglass slide in truck camper the builder / owner sized up for a Dodge Dakota mid size truck.

There is also the SuperCamper, another Nida Core build, however the technique and materials used were slightly different... http://thesupercamper.blogspot.com/2006/09/super-camper-inspiration-concept-and.html

The big disadvantages to truck campers that can be designed around, and Nida Core / Fiberglass construction goes a long way to addressing are...

#1. Weight. Most truck campers are heavy due to extensive use of wood, and steel in their construction. I think the guy with the L-Life camper build claimed his build out weighed in at a little over 600lbs dry.
    #2. Interior space. Most truck campers don't use space all that well. Again L-Life did a good job, as did Super Camper. Many waste bed space though. Custom designs overcome this. I actually think a tip out bunkend like a pop up would go a long way to giving more interior space with little added weight...
    #3. Overall height / aerodynamics. This is where a pop up design REALLY comes into play.
    #4. Lack of "Facilities". I have discussed ways to get a shower into a pop up not outfitted with one here, that and a well situated port o potty resolve these issues easily, again, design, design, design...
    #5. Insulation. Like Pop Ups are any better. This is NOT somehwere that Nida Core excels at. I am not at all worried about keeping heat in so much as keeping heat OUT. Nida Core has some insulating value, but not a ton. I believe it is R4 per inch thickness. Since I am trying to keep heat OUT, and my biggest heat gains are radiation from solar energy, the biggest thing I can do is coat, most particularly the roof, with something like Tropicool roof coating.

Again, this is a TON of work, mostly design work, but assembly won't be brain dead simple... My biggest challenge would be getting access to sufficient shop space, for a long enough term to get it done.

11. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

The following link may be helpful. Every year Overland Expo provides a link to all of their exhibitors. There are a lot of trailer options. Perhaps you can find something close to your specifications or a lead on ideas you want to incorporate. Personally, I love looking at all of the gadgets for camping.

https://www.overlandexpo.com/exhibitors-2019-west

dbhost likes this.
  12. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Strangely enough I got one of those Top 10 List Ad's today. It was Top Popup campers of 2019.

This one was on the list. I've never heard of them before:

http://www.opuscamper.us

They have 3 models. Two of them are off road ( with a 12.4 ground clearance, heck they even have a skidplate protecting the bottom)

No AC however, and at 6'1" beds, they are a little short for me.

The thing that is cool, the don't use lifting posts. They have a tent, with AIR FILLED beams, that you inflate to setup the camper.
    It's really sturdy too

dbhost likes this.
  13. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

14. _WW_

_WW_ New Member

I wanted something with much the same specs as the original poster - and no fabric walls!
    Used Chalet A-frame for 5k fit the bill.

15. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

If it was / is in good shape, that is a good deal... $5K is a good price on an A Frame camper...

Around here, I haven't seen A Frame campers going for under $10K... I would have to travel out of state most likely to Arkansas, Oklahoma etc... to find a deal on an A Frame....

16. _WW_

_WW_ New Member

It was absolutely in good shape! I had to drive over to eastern Washington to get it. I have since discovered that the further you get from the interstate corridor, the cheaper they get. I once drove to the middle of Idaho, bought an Aliner for $4500, brought it back to western Washington and sold it for $6500 two weeks later.

Having owned and inspected the innards of the same vintage 2006 Aliner and Chalet, I'll tell you the Chalet is more robust in its construction under the box. I'm always looking for my next one that has a storage compartment on the front. It's the one thing I wish I had that I don't.