Does the tow vehicle battery operate the interior lights while towing or just exterior lights?

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by Michael Melanson, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Michael Melanson

Michael Melanson New Member

Jan 14, 2018
    My 2004 Santa Fe does not have a battery. When plugged into a shoreline, the interior lights work fine even though the top of the kitchen galley is gone. Apparently, someone made sure the kill switch was disengaged after they removed the galley. Rather than diagnosing why the kill switch is not working, can someone tell me if the interior lights still work if plugged into the 7 pin tow vehicle connection?
    Thanks!

2. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Normally if the tow connection is wired with a live wire from the tow vehicle then yes it may run the lights, fridge etc. (this is where a volt meter comes in handy to see if you have power at the plug and through to the popup).
    But as your unit has been severely modified, the only sure way is to verify the complete system and see if the required wiring is still installed/connected!
    If you are concerned the lights will still run when you have it down, connect up with the lights on and see if it does! (Make sure your shore power is disconnected for test)

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Probably yes but who knows what has been changed in the last 14 years since it was built.

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My 2010 FORD Truck TRAILER TOW lead on my 7-way truck/trailer connection is only ON when I have the Key ignition ON in the truck. It is controlled from a relay module in my truck main fuse panel. When i purchased my 2010 Truck new there was an unmarked envelope in the glove box that had an ATC FUSE and a RELAY MODULE in it. I had to look in the Truck manual to see where they would be installed. It was marked TRAILER TOW in my 2010 truck manual.

Easy TEST for me was use a multimeter across the Trailer battery terminals. If not connected to Shore power or Generator the battery terminal should read in the 12.5-6 range if somewhat charged up. If connected to Shore power or Generator this DC Voltage should jump up to 13.6VDC or higher depending what the Trailer converter/charger mode is doing. If connected only to the truck 7-way trailer connection it should read 13.6VDC or higher with the Truck IGNITION Key turned ON with the truck motor running.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If so wouldn't easy fix be to flip the breaker for the light circuit off in the camper?

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    The purpose of the KILL SWITCH is to disable the very hot incandescent automotive type ceiling lights that get super hot when being used to prevent a possible fire hazard when in the down position where the ceiling lights may come in contact with the pushed in tent bed ends mattress. You would really want the KILL SWITCH to be functional as designed. My 2008 POPUP trailer trailer actually compresses my two tent bed mattresses when the roof is down... Even though my KILL SWITCH is functional I also reduce the fire hazard by replacing my ceiling lights with LED lights.

You may also have another SAFETY situation as I read your note you do not have a working battery installed on your trailer. Due the weight of your 2004 FLEETWOOD SANTA FE Popup Trailer most likely has Electric Brakes installed and if so your local state inspection most likely requires you have a working battery system when being pulled over the public roads to operate your trailer electric brake in the event the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle when in motion. This is a DOT SAFETY requirement... This is an State Inspection item in my state to be able to pass inspection and get my ANNUAL SAFETY INSPECTION STICKER for my trailer.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    If you are not aware, i read somewhere in this forum that the switch did not work properly and the battery was still hooked to the popup. The interior light was on until the battery ran out of juice. Keep in mind that the canvas was folded neatly on the bed and the bed was rolled inside the camper. the roof was lowered down. the ceiling light which had the light on, was on top of canvas... guess what happened? the light burned the canvas and there was a square burn on the canvas. It is important to have kill switch.

I read that your popup did not have the top galley. Normally the upper galley would be pulled up and placed on the lower galley which also land on the switch to turn on the interior lights. Because the upper galley was removed, the switch was also removed. It is kinda risky without the switch because I believe in human error.

8. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    I am kinda concerned because if the battery is hooked up to your popup, BOTH interior and exterior lights would be ON because there is no switch. Leave the door open to check to see if the ceiling lights are on. You might have to turn off the ceiling lights before you lower the roof. That is your number one to-do list when setting down camper. If you forget, you might have to buy a new section of canvas.

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    He does not have a battery. The question is if when hooked up to the truck if the interior lights come on with switch bypassed since galley is removed. I am assuming your concern is also his concern which is why the question was asked.

I agree the only way to know for sure is to plug it in when set up and check. There is no way to know how the PO wired the system to bypass. But it also seems if it does there should be a breaker that can be turned off.

10. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    that's right i missed that. I guess he ll have to make sure the light switch is OFF, not on every time the roof is lowered.