Doh! Should I have bought PUGs?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by mcbrew, Mar 16, 2014.

1. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Since we've had a long winter, I've been having fun buying things for the upcoming camping season. I bought a set of PUGs and their bunk end covers, too. What I just remembered is that our 2013 Palomino actually has reflective silver material on the bunks. Does it even make sense to use PUGs on top of that?

Now, most of the places we camp will be under tree cover, but I do like to camp on the beach at Assateage Island, MD in the summer. That's where I really want some protection from the sun.

Do a lot of pups have reflective bunk "roof" material? My OLD Starcraft did not. And if so, do you still recommend PUGs?

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Your PUP may have some sort of silvery/reflective surface but I doubt it it would do what PUGs do. They are actual radiant barriers, like Reflectix. Keep the PUGs and use them all of the time. They help to keep warmer in cold weather and cooler in warm weather. Plus, they keep tree debris and bird poop off your canvas.

3. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

You know that's what I wanted to hear!

4. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Will it help if I echo what UT said? The main reason I use them is to keep all the cr*p off the bunkends. Camp near some mullberry trees one time and you'll treasure the PUGs

5. candleems

candleems Member

Yup! I use them to keep the crap off the vinyl too.

6. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

You can also improve the efficiency of the PUGs if you take a pool noodle and cut it into 4 pcs. Place 1 pc. on each side of the Shepards Pole between the PUGs and the tenting. Increasing the dead air space provides more insulation.

7. skiball

skiball New Member

I understand about the insulation value of the air space. I really don't understand how you are inserting them. Would it work if I cut a pool noodle the length of the bunkend and slid the whole thing in there right above the shepard pole? Or am I in visioning this all wrong?

8. JETent

JETent JT

GHacker-

Like Skiball, I am not quite visualizing our noodle deployment. I suppose vertical or horizontal to the shepards pole may not matter, as long as the noodle stays in place (won't wiggle loose in sustained wind or gusts). Any clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks for the great idea.

Later,
    JT
    Austin, Tx.

9. woobie

woobie My PUP is newer than my Tow Vehicle

So...I have four pieces of noodle. Two pieces go on both sides of the Sheppard pole? I don't understand how to place or attach the noodles. Do I slice the noodles?

10. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Pictures are needed please