Dometic 3-way fridge cools then gets warm.

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by rt28001, Jul 19, 2018.

1. jsc1648

jsc1648 Member

I'm doing some testing from home this week: I started the fridge up last night on electric. I put a few things in the freezer and fridge just to have something in it to cool and this morning the freezer was -5. I moved the thermometer to the fridge section and will continue to monitor. At some point, I'll switch to gas and see if that changes anything. I was planning on either "burping" or "vibrating" the system, but so far, I'm pleased with the temperatures.

The fridge is a 3 cubic foot Dometic in a Fleetwood highwall camper.

Thanks

2. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Sounds like a good plan.JSC. .im going to test mine out this weekend and see how it does from electric to propane too.. thanks for sharing your test. Donna

3. jsc1648

jsc1648 Member

Update: stayed cool all day on electric, switched to gas and this morning the fridge was 32 degrees at the bottom and the freezer was -15. I switched back to electric and will check again today. As I wrote before, this past weekend at the campsite in similar weather, although in the sun, the fridge could not maintain 60 degrees and was not even heating the coils. This has happened multiple times while camping on both gas and electric... Not sure what else to check, everything seems to functioning fine.

landon6062 likes this.
  4. jsc1648

jsc1648 Member

Update2: the fridge warmed up a little when back on electric (38 degrees at the bottom shelf during the hottest part of the day) but still cold enough to preserve food. I'm out of ideas. I'm camping with hookups again next weekend so I'm going to be able to replicate the conditions of last weekend. I did purchase a Camco circulation fan for inside the fridge. If it warms up during the day to temps above 45 or so I'm going to unplug the thermistor and see if it cools back down. Other than that, there's nothing I can think of to try....

landon6062 likes this.
  5. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI JSC...Thanks for sharing your test..Did the "camco" seem to help any? I bought a small airrator for mine..i haven't used it yet..honestly i don't expect much out of it, there is just so little air flow I'm not sure it was worth the money..

6. jsc1648

jsc1648 Member

Landon, I just ordered the fan, so I don't even have it yet. I'll be able to try it out next weekend and will report back.

landon6062 likes this.
  7. rt28001

rt28001 New Member

How do you burp or vibrate the system. I can get my fridge down to the low 30's but the temp starts to rise again. Had this problem again last weekend on a camping trip. This is really baffling me.

landon6062 likes this.
  8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Good question RT....burp, vibrate?

rt28001 likes this.
  9. rt28001

rt28001 New Member

I just don't understand why my fridge will cool so well only to warm back up. On our last trip I had it down to 34 degrees on 120v. I switched to 12v for the trip. The temp started coming up a bit but still below 40. Once at our campground, I plugged back into shore power and switched back to 120v. The temp just kept coming up till it got to 46 degrees. Switched to propane and still didn't get any better. Went to a local Ingles market and got a small piece of dry ice (4 pounds) and put in fridge in a heavy towel. Everything stayed cold for the rest of our trip. I am so perplexed on this.

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have heard of people taking their fridge out, turning it upside down then reinstalling. They swore it worked better... YMMV

11. jsc1648

jsc1648 Member

landon6062 likes this.
  12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

OH my .. yeah that would NOT be fun to do at all JSC.

I hope that circulation fan works for you.

I think you and I have different problems..

Your Fridge seems to "FAIL" at some point.. right?

Mine is mostly ignorance at this point. I THINK??

SEEMS i need to start my fridge up the day before I leave. I don't know YET if it is going to "fail" once it gets cold.. I should KNOW by AUG 26th

My circulation fan did very little to help my problem this past weekend. Perhaps I didn't get a good one. : (

It took my fridge a whole day and Night to Cool down, even with the a/c running and the room somewhere around 75 the day before. Just seems it should NOT have taken that long with it being in an A/C environment..

Good luck JSC.. I do hope you don't have to BURP that thing..

donna

13. jsc1648

jsc1648 Member

Update3: Camped with hookups this weekend and had pretty good luck with the fridge. It wasn't as hot as it has been in the past, but I think everything is working well. I believe the circulation fan helped. Additionally, I noticed that the seal around the door was not completely contacting the fridge on the bottom left corner. I opened the door and pulled the door seal and "stretched it out" all the way around. When I closed the door after that, it was seemed to seal better in the corner. I imagine this helped as well. With ambient temps it the lower-mid '90s, the freezer maintained -5 to -10 and the middle rack of the fridge hovered around 38 - 40. Everything is the fridge was cold to the touch. I think the fan helps with this. So to recap, I have a nice thermostatically controlled double-fan setup on the outside portion of the fridge, drawing out hot air. I have not done and baffle work, though. I have the inside circulation fan with on/off switch from Camco. The fridge seems to work well on both AC and Propane. Thanks for the help.

landon6062 likes this.