Door frame gap

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by jessMN, Jun 14, 2019.

1. jessMN

jessMN Member

Ok I'm perplexed. The frame next to the door bows out in the middle, so that there is a large gap in the middle and we cannot latch the door - but the door is flush to the frame at the top and bottom. The door itself is level vertically so it's the frame with the problem. What the heck could be wrong here? Frame issue? The pup is also level.
    Pic:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsho0m53pd2x00j/IMG_20190614_083728.jpg?dl=0

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

You have the same problem many of us have had. (including myself). The issue is with the front bunk. It pulls the front wall forward, wich ends up pulling the lower short wall section of the door towards the front, and away from the latch. There may be some water damage in the front wall, or next to the door itself. It's a relatively common problem with pups of that age.

jessMN likes this.
  3. Matt Benoit

There are a few solutions that can help to avoid tearing apart the walls to locate the problem. More support for the front bed, and helping to transfer some of the weight from the bed to the tongue or the ground can help avoiding pulling on the front wall. I recently added an aluminum brace that connects the short wall next to the door with the frame, and it has eliminated my problem... It's not exactly the prettiest solution, but it gets the job done.

jessMN likes this.
  4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Mine was like that and it actually helped to have another stabilizer jack in the rear. I would just mess around with added jacks until it is corrected.

jessMN likes this.
  5. jessMN

jessMN Member

Thanks everyone me, this gives me some ideas hopefully we can fix it or at least bandaid it

6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

jessMN likes this.
  7. jessMN

jessMN Member

Do you have a pic of that? I'm curious.

8. Matt Benoit

My camper is closed at the moment. So the picture below doesn't show the 90 degree bend in the aluminum that is screwed to the top of the wall. I had a friend place his body weight on top of the wall, while I marked and drilled the hole for the bolt that goes through the frame at the bottom. My door gap used to be similar to yours, and got much worse when someone got in the front bed. This brace has eliminated the problem for me. Hope this helps.

IMG_20190614_141159_compress36.jpg

9. jessMN

jessMN Member

Nice, thanks!!

10. jessMN

jessMN Member

OK, we are back from our 4 night trip up to Lake Superior, with a list of minor repairs and maintenance tasks....plus this door gap issue. The longer we were there, the worse the gap seemed to get and it doesn't even fully close when everything is packed up (though it at least closes enough to latch and lock it while stored). Even when I lifted the bunk up to alleviate some pressure, the gap didn't close a whole lot (though there was a little movement)...The more I read about this issue, the more I think I'm going to have to take the skin off to fix this. I haven't found much out there on removing the skin - a lot of people said they did it, but not much out there for pics or videos showing how to do it, and I like to have those for reference (or maybe I'm searching wrong??) I do believe it is aluminum which means its probably attached with staples. Sigh.

Anyway, any suggestions on videos out there showing an actual aluminum skin removal?