Door gasket/seal on Flagstaff/Rockwood Pup's

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Blkvoodoo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

Aug 21, 2011
    We've a year old ( bought new May '11 ) Flagstaff 625D

I've no issue with anything on the camper until recently, it's is small, but it could cause a problem easy enough.

the seal on top of the entry door has torn away due to it's design and installation.

with door closed, the seal will glide right past the lip of the roof when opening the door with the roof down, when closing, the seal gets bent over backward. this action works the vinyl especially when the temps are low, and the "spine" of the seal then fails.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've heard this is pretty common on these campers, but haven't heard of another fix other than replacing the seal ( seems that would be a yearly thing ? )

I contacted a local Forest River Dealer, and they can get the seal $4 a piece. Ok, order me 3. If it comes with part numbers, I will relay those on for future reference

I asked about warranty, just because, I've never made a claim, thought I'd toss it out, see what splattered.

I was told "We didn't sell the camper, We won't warranty it, and We don't sell pop-ups." heh Really ?

( WE didn't buy here to begin with because they didn't have any Pup's in stock at the time, we looked )

For the cost of the part, it's not worth hassling over, just tells me I don't need to go there anymore.

The sad part is the dealer we bought the camper from last year has sold out to Camping World. I wasn't all that thrilled with the parts guy at the dealership when I bought the camper ( attitude ), and low and behold, he's still the parts guy under the new ownership ( with even more attitude now ).

SO I guess I'll need to find a place who is actually interested in selling parts instead of opinion and attitude.

2. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Jan 7, 2007
    Western MA
    Mine did the same during the 3rd year and I have a '07. I can't believe they have not changed the cheap design of that part yet.

3. smoreking

smoreking Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Small Town, Middle TN
    Door gasket/seal on Flagstaff/Rockwood Pup's

I have same problem. I can't open door without raising roof an inch or so.

4. 77starmaster

77starmaster New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    I just seen a post a couple of days ago where a guy slid some thin plastic in between top and door top, then shut the door. The plastic helped the seal so it didn't catch. Blkvoodoo after reading your post I had to look quick to see if you were local! Same thing here in NY (attitude problem) I guess its a camper thing? [:D]

5. 77starmaster

77starmaster New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Thats the one! Thanks Raycfe

6. jpetrey

jpetrey New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Ours did the same thing, the dealer we bought it from replaced it under warranty. I will try unlatching the roof suggestion as I am always afraid I am going to tear it.

7. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Springfield Kentucky
    I have a Rockwood 2011 what i find out is to raise the roof up enough to clear the seal no problem, that seal also was on my 05 Coachmen clipper i had had to do the same thing raise the roof up a little to get the door open. if you that raise the roof a little you won't tear the seal anymore.

8. dnicekid

dnicekid New Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Mine is torn a little also . When I close the door I gently tuck it in as I close the door . I also gently open the door the first few inches as that seems to be when the damage is done .

9. shelmily

shelmily Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have that same seal on my '94. And yes it is slightly torn. Apparently Forrest River doesn't feel this is an issue, since they are still making them the same way. I do as others have mentioned. Unlatch the roof on the door side, and all is well.

10. GCHIKER

GCHIKER New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I have this same seal on my 92 Starcraft and would like to replace it.
    Anyone have a parts website or dealer info?
    Thanks

11. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

May 29, 2012
    Mine was torn last year shortly after I bought unit.. replaced it .. You can buy this stuff by the foot from an RV dealer . Just three or four screws to remove and replace and a sharp knife to cut..
    I always make sure mine is headed into the unit correctly when I open/close the door when down. this stops the tear. but it is a pain...
    G

12. kjcamper

kjcamper New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have a 2006 625D and is the seal being talked about on the small travel door? If so I had never tried opening or closing it with the roof down as the lip of the roof overlaps the top of the door and I could not open it unless roof is raised slightly.

13. raspivey

raspivey New Member

Aug 11, 2012
    My 2012 came off after a few months of use. I haven't replaced it and it hasn't been an issue yet. Going to have to look into it shortly though.

14. arffch

arffch Member

May 25, 2009
    tulsa,ok.
    my 06 rockwood has the samething and mine has been ripped for about 3 years and i haven't noticed any problems. now the lower frame of the door sill has leaked and caused some damage and since i sealed it the problem hasn't gotten lost

15. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    My 08 Viking was the same way, I typically just unlatched the roof on the door side and that was enough to stop that seal from tearing. Yep, had to replace mine once early on as well, but not after unlatching the roof.

16. raspivey

raspivey New Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I'm going to have to try that after I replace mine. I've got one attached to the roof as well, so there's actually two of them that form the seal. The way the roof overlaps, it'd have to be raining sideways to get any water in it and I keep it covered. I haven't had any moisture issues at all with it even in the high gulf coast humidity, but I'm planning on replacing it anyway.

17. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

Our other trailer had that same seal, it was damaged and I replaced it as regular maintenance to that pup. Our newer trailer is similar to kjcamper, there is no way you are going to open that door without raising the roof an inch or so. At least that way there is no way that door will open while you are towing either, and that is a good thing.

18. raspivey

raspivey New Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I'm not sure exactly how it was that mine got ripped off. You can open it with the roof down and the weather stripping just barely makes contact, but enough to bend it back and forth all the way. It had gotten a small tear in the forward end..maybe 1 - 2 inches, but not enough to bother with. I loaned it to my in laws last December and it was ripped off when I got it back. From what they told me, it just peeled most of the way off when they opened the door. I'm guessing the cold made it brittle and the existing tear just gave way. I think unlatching the roof on my model and lifting it just slightly during the colder months should take care of it. If not, I guess I'll just be replacing it every year or so.

19. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    it's really just best to make unlatching a practice year round, that way it completely eliminates the chance of catching it. it really doesn't take much to tear those seals.