Door issues

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by lkc, Apr 16, 2018.

1. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all---got out on Saturday & worked for several hours, cleaning & taking care of some minor maintenance issues---I'm getting there!

However I did find a problem with the door. This is the first time I have had the unit completely open & all set-up on this NTM popup. I had the bed ends all popped out & support poles underneath & the poles in the tent bed ends. The last thing I did was to drop the door into place. It slid into the frame on the bottom OK & the velcro attached with no problems & the canvas was not overly stretched on the door frame--it sealed up easily.

However I could not get the T-latches at the top of the door frame fastened--the T-latches are actually attached to the inside of the roof. The door frame at the top stood out at least 1-2 inches too far from the T-latches to be able to latch. I was afraid to exert a lot of force to push on the top of the door frame--was afraid to do damage or bend the support posts.

I checked all around the door frame to see if something was keeping the top of the door frame from going flat up against the inside of the roof, but could not see anything binding up and the door opens & closes perfectly and the bottom of the door is in the frame.

??? I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.

2. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    Did you have the trailer level side to side and front to back?

Mongo71 and neighbormike like this.
  3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Mine has to be level or the door won't latch.

4. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    The door in our 2007 Fleetwood does not align very well either. The door has a little play in where it sits at the bottom which helps. I've also started putting the door in after the beds are pulled out and supported but before putting shepherd's hook in. With the canvas not being stretched, you should be able to move the lift arms side-to-side slightly to also get it to latch. You don't want to move the lift arms very much though.

As others have said, it has to be level to fit.

5. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    I know that it's level front to back--not sure about side to side--it looks level but I need to get a small stick-on bubble level for the front of the unit for the side-to-side---if it's not perfectly level it has to be very close.

I'll have to check that out--also going to try putting the door in place before putting in the shepard's hooks & velcro. The rest of the door is perfectly centered and yes the door latch closes and opens with no issues.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

are you sure that the roof is raised high enough?

terry1419 likes this.
  7. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    roof is as high as it will go

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

How about getting a few photos. Someone may see what is up.

9. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    You may need to adjust the cables at the wiffle tree to raise the roof higher.
    I had to do this with my Niagara- the symptom is the same, I had trouble getting the door "latched" to the roof/sideboard- the aluminum plate at the top of the door didn't slide fully under the lip of the roof. It wasn't immediately apparent that the roof needed to go higher, as the curtain valance covers it up. Inspect the spot where the top of the door slides under the roof. There should be a slight gap ( I set mine up with about 1/8") between the top of the door and the bottom of the section of roof it goes under. This allows the top of the door top slide flush against the side board, allowing the toggles to latch.
    Once I adjusted the wiffle tree, the door slides right in, and slight push to latch the toggles does it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    If the roof was higher would the door fit? if so adjust the cables or in some cases the pulleys underneath the camper can be move to a different hole for adjustment. Also set the door and canvas before setting up the bunks. Just a reminder the the stabilizers are just to take the wiggle out not jack up the camper.

11. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Sorry--don't have any pics--it's all closed up now, waiting on the next weekend day I can work on it. I've been to two different places looking for a small bubble level to stick on the front to see the level side to side--I'm thinking I'm off level just enough to cause the issue & I'll have to correct that first. It's not hugely off level.

The responses make sense now that I know a little more about this unit & have been tinkering around with it & how everything fits together.

Roof appears to be all the way up and there's plenty of room for the door to be fully in place, but I'll triple check it again next weekend.

This is such a great place to come to for suggestions & help with problems and knowledge about these popups. So glad to have y'all to help!

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Either I am misunderstanding, or everyone else is. I am picturing the top of the door being level with the T latches, just jutting out toward the inside of the camper. Is this correct? If so, mine is always an inch or so out and I just push it in and latch. That has nothing at all to do with leveling, so no need to mess with your lift system.

terry1419 likes this.
  13. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Orchid-- the top of my door is more than an inch leaning to the inside-- I can not push it onto the latches without some force--& I'm not going to try to force it-- I don't think the trailer is level enough side to side-- I'm definitely going to try several other things before I even think about messing with the cable adjustments which I can't do myself anyway

Orchid likes this.
  14. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    IKC, get a carpenters level (so much more accurate) and place it in the middle of the floor. First check side to side and get it level, then front to back. I'm also thinking that you shouldn't be attaching anything to the door frame until it is in place entirely. If I'm understanding your original post you said you dropped it down and attached the canvas then tried to secure the frame at the top.

15. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    If I'm understanding you correctly, I should attach the velcro to the door last & latch the top of the door BEFORE the velcro?

I will be getting a better level

16. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    Yes. Give that a try. My canvas is tight and no way I would be able to get the door in place if I didn't set the door completely first.

17. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Measure the lift arms height to make sure they are the same length - we use one of the awnings poles with a notch on it to do a quick check (I'm assuming po did that) . If they are not the same height, then you need to adjust.
    You can also swing the roof from the inside if the door needs a little help to set.
    Our sweet spot for the door - the middle of the floor just inside the door frane, and it has to be level.

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree with making sure you are level in both directions first and not messing with the lift system. Since it is jutting to the inside, and not lower, clearly the lift system is not involved.

By "force" I'm assuming you mean it's hard to push? Ours juts out but is easy to push into place. Is the door damaged or bent some? I am trying to picture what ours looks like and it's probably more like a few inches out before I push it, too. But, once again, I don't have use any kind of force, just push it easy and hold while I do the latches.

I always set the door before attaching the canvas, too. Mostly because it's convenient. I'm already inside putting the door in, the move outside to attach the velcro.

19. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Update:) So I was off-level side to side--got one tire up on a small block & as close to level as I will ever get it.

Figured out that putting the door in BEFORE putting sheppard's hook & attaching velcro AND while inside the trailer, stick your arm through to the outside & kind of squeeze the door & the roof toward each other causes the T latch to pop into the slot & then you just turn it! How 'bout that. Feel so smart today--hahaa!

Orchid likes this.