door roof latch-1995 Starcraft Meterorite

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by MaineNature, Aug 5, 2012.

1. MaineNature

MaineNature New Member

Just bought this camper & need to take it on a long (for me) trip to family reunion. Roof latches for holding door to ceiling were on the floor the first time I tried to close it up.

I put them back in the ceiling & now I can't get the door to latch into them. Is there supposed to be a spacer between the ceiling and these metal latches? It seems like the other plastic wing nuts that keep the door closed to the frame don't allow the door to get close enough to the ceiling to be able to turn the button that latches them. I did make sure that the metal plate over the door opening is flush to the wall so it's not that.

2. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I'm having trouble following your description, too bad you cannot take a pic and post it.

Let me ask in terms of my later model Starcraft.
    You have two twist locks that secures the door to the roof, you lift the door half and these locks come through the slots in the door and you twist the locks 90 degrees and that locks that end of the door to the roof (are we still together?)
    The other end of the door (which is really the top), has a bifold hinge and that can be pushed snug to the interior roof side and also has slots that allow two turn buttons to come through so they also can be turned 90 degrees .... (are we still on the same page?) -

Off course that bifold hinge has to be secured to the roof topside be it for closed up or for having the door in use after setup.

Now then, are we with the same type door, locks & hinge ...? I do not understand how (or why) there would be "roof latches" on the floor. Either these are two different type door setups or I'm missing something (which would not be unusual!) ~

3. MaineNature

MaineNature New Member

Sorry, I confused you here--what I meant was that they were no longer screwed into the ceiling, they had both fallen off and were laying on the floor loose [:D]

Now I also seem to have light issues. The blinkers and flashers work but there's no running lights when the car has the headlights on--guess this is a subject for a different topic. But, if I can't put the door up by myself I won't be able to take this pop up. I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have bought this and just stick with a tent [:(]

4. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

This thought will come across your mind many times more in the future, I'm sure! [:D]

Still do not understand how the twist locks were on the floor .... did someone remove them and then not replace ....?
    Anyway, before you can lock the door into place to be used .... OR .... be stowed away on the ceiling via the twist locks, the bifold hinge MUST BE secured in it's proper place against the roof side. Until you do that nothing further can be done for the door.

The lights: were they working properly before ...? How have you configured that connection from the town vehicle to the camper ...?

5. Mongo71

Mongo71 Longwood FL

MaineNature, I have a '97 Starcraft Venture and I understand completely what you are trying to say. Those plastic turnscrews can be a PITA at times. I recommend making certain that the trailer is as level as you can make it. Both longitudinally and transversely (Crosswise) before you try to fasten them. Another issue can be if you don't raise the roof up to it's proper position. Be careful about the latter as you can snap the safety cable if you raise it too high. I fought with this a few times until I figured out that the roof has to be aligned correctly with the lower half of the door before the flange would flatten up against the roof. I hope this helps. And Flyfisher is right, this won't be the only thing that will agitate you about a PUP! [8D] But, it beats the daylights out of sleeping on the ground.

6. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I had problems with the tail lights on my pup. Sometimes one turn signal wouldn't work. I'd have to wiggle the plug to try and get everything to work.

This weekend I replaced the plug on the pup side. Now it works every time. I think it was $8 at an auto parts store.

DH '70
    DW '67
    DS1.0 '98
    DS2.0 '02
    And Solomon, our inside Cavalier Spaniel

7. MaineNature

MaineNature New Member

The only time I saw them connected was to my son's truck & the right side didn't work at all. Then today I hooked it up to my car for the first time & the flasher's worked & the blinker but not the running lights. My neighbor took pity on me & spent a hot Sunday afternoon revamping the wiring on the trailer end & now they work--YEAH!!!

The tires are a little old & it says on the wall 80lb max but they only had about 20 lbs. so we put about 60 in them. I just had my car tires rotated & they only had 28 lbs & the sticker on the car door said 32 so tomorrow I guess I'll put a little more--30 lbs anyway?

So the next thing is to see how it raises up tomorrow. I tried to make sure it's good and level front to back & side to side. Before I don't think it was as level as it should be & the roof didn't look to me like it raised evenly & I was hoping it was a leveling issue and not a lift system issue but I guess we'll see tomorrow. The other big thing is the door fitting when it goes up to the ceiling.....

My neighbor was also nice enough to give me a crash course in tire changing 101---the jack & everything from my car fits good so I feel better at least knowing if, God forbid, I have a flat I know what to do--hopefully if I stand on it I'll have the strength to loosen the nuts!!!

Thanks a lot for all your help, I really do appreciate it.

8. MaineNature

MaineNature New Member

9. MaineNature

MaineNature New Member

10. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Nice neighbor! I had to figure it out on my own. I messed with that plug for almost 2 years. It wasn't until I got a new TV and had the same problem that the light bulb went on over my head!!!

DH '70
    DW '67
    DS1.0 '98
    DS2.0 '02
    And Solomon, our inside Cavalier Spaniel

11. jteamcamper

jteamcamper New Member

Iv had similar problems with my 1995 starcraft starloun [RTM]
    ge, with the turnbuckles on the ceiling as well as where they latch when the door is down the plastic latched eventually broke. I went to the local hardware store and bought some piece of steel square stock, used to make key ways. I cut them to the right length and rounded the edges with a file, then drilled a hole in the center. I used machine screws through the keyway and placed a nut with lock washers to set the right gap between ceiling , so the door would fit. It's stronger than the original equip, and works great!!

12. MaineNature

MaineNature New Member

Sounds like a good idea jteamcamper! We did something similar with a thin white piece of wood. I still have to use a plyers to open & close one side but hey, as long as it works! [LOL]