Dual 6V GC2 Batteries on 97 Coleman Pop-Up

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by CoolCanuck, Jun 13, 2019 at 3:44 AM.

1. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck Member

The batteries that came with our used trailer (look like a 27 and a 31, both Interstate, non deep cycle) are giving up the ghost. They are stored in the front cargo bin whilst traveling, then put on the ground under the tongue and hooked up with clamps. I used each individually.

Am looking to upgrade to dual 6v GC2 's, but am finding a severe lack of room on the front of our 97 SunRidge. This model has dual propane tanks, with the Coleman 1/2 cover (ABS). So they are somewhat recessed in the front panel.

Anyone install GC-2 's on a similar trailer? If so, how did you do it? Pics?

Thanks

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Why the 6's? Would you have the room for a 12 vt that has the same Ah capacity?

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

My 2000 colman has room for a battery, to put a second one on you would need to cantilever it a bit. You could make some room by removing the cover, but then you would need the soft covers. Or you could hook it up where they are now and vent them? Just some ideas.

4. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

I had 2 6v Trojans on my old TT since I dry camp a lot. Though rare, one died (internal short) on the first day of a 5 day trip. Point is I was left with 6v powering my camper so I spent the next 4 days in the dark with no fridge. Now I have 2 12v batteries so if one dies I still have 12v. Food for thought.....

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Not sure how it could work on yours especially if you have the swing up tongue jack on the side, but what someone did was weld additional braces above the first battery to create a rack for a second battery. Essentially if you were to look at it, one battery is below and the other rides just above it on it's own rack. However they had a tongue jack way in front and not on the side. I know I wouldn't be able to do that myself as my tongue jack already hits the bigger battery case for a group 29. Like you, I have double propane tanks.

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

With 2 propane tanks I could probably put two batteries on my tongue if I re-engineered the bed supports. The only other option is AGMs in the front storage. So I opted for one battery on the tongue. I was able to fit a G31 by moving the battery rack forward about an inch.

7. frolin

frolin Member

I go dual 12v and have no issues for a week easy, assumming no heater. Running heater some 3-4 nights. We juat dont use much electricity. A bit at night as we hit the sack and charging phones or sons tablet is about it

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

It looks like to me you should be able to remove the right angle battery frame and extend new one out on both side of the tongue are to support two or four batteries mounted end to end...

This is same year photo of a 97 Coleman trailer showing a single battery mount across the tongue..

[​IMG]
    Google image

Why can't you just remove this one and add longer supports extending out on both side of the tongue... You might even have enough room inside the two rails to add two longer rails out over both sides as needed...

My 2008 trailer battery frame is on the back of the tongue area and I can get three 12V GP24 Interstate batteries across the tongue with ease and not have any hang over the edge... As you can see the PVC battery boxes sit inside the two welded on frame rails just perfect...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

I am in the process of installing a TORKLIFT 59-inch wide Diamond Plate Battery box with slide off lid to replace these three Interstates shown here.. This Battery box will extend out on both sides of the steel right angle battery rails quite a distance and still be a strong mount for them... This new battery box fits inside the welded on frame rails just fine as well...

[​IMG]
    Google image

I will have two groups of two GC2 6VDC Batteries wired in series inside this battery box. I am also installing a second 10WATT identical Solar panel so that both battery groups can be trickle charged when sitting in the high sun...

You should be able to do something like this with ease especially if you are only looking for two batteries mounted end to end...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:10 PM
  9. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck Member

Thanks guys for the thoughts. I'm working through them.

We do most of our camping off grid, no hookups, and would like to have enough power to last around 7 days. Hence the GC2 battery solution.
    The old batteries were the H9 and T8 sizes, but alas, no real AH rating.

Roy,
    that was basically the idea. Problem is:
    1. I have the silver jack mounted halfway along the right side of the front "A" frame.
    2. The GC2 's in a box are about 13 1/2" high, which then means:
    a. I can't get at my dual 20lb propane bottles, which are behind the stock ABS flip up cover
    b. I would not be able to turn the jack handle. Looks like I would have to move that one (MUCH) further forward, around 8 1/2", which would place it just over the "A" frame to front ball receiver joint. Much too far forward.

I'll try to post some pics later today.

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

12 volt Group 31 batts wired in parallel will offer about the same AH capacity as a pair of 6 volt GC-2 batts wired in series and although the 31s will be longer they're not as tall as the 6s. Since your '97 Sunridge has a front trunk I'd be inclined to mount two G31 AGMs in there and if you'd like to have a spare as well you'd then have the space on the tongue to mount a third 12 volt battery as back up - can't have too much reserve capacity when you're dry camping for a week. :smiley:

11. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck Member

Ok, here's a couple of pics of my trailer front.
    P1220174s.jpg P1220173s.jpg P1220175s.jpg P1220177s.jpg P1220176s.jpg P1220178s.jpg

So I'm thinking of using the Century Plastics Dual CG2 (side by side - Long Box), placed on two angle supports just in front of the plastic cover for the propane bottles. They are about 4 1/2" higher than the hinge line on the cover.

I would have to relocate the swivel jack ( I need 8" CL to box clearance to be able to turn it) and the little ball jack for the dealership (not that I've been there...)

I believe I can keep the bed support strut nibs (??) where they are.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 8:17 PM
  12. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck Member

These are some pics of the battery box I found on the net through google...

6k5D5h2l.jpg 51lUDU9kHSL.jpg 20150501_105642.jpg sfFhErQl.jpg

I would have to remove the existing hinge on the propane cover (riveted on), then insert a couple of vertical aluminum straps (riveted onto the lower part of the cover), with a rivnut / threaded nut fastened on the top, so that I can fasten the top (removable) cover to these. Don't want to loose it whilst driving down the road...

Greyfox - I can get some GC2 's locally through Interstate with 225AH (made by Trojan). None of the 31 series Deep Cycle that I know of are true deep cycle, they're all dual-purpose starting/cranking deep cycles.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 8:14 PM
  13. GreyFox

I'm confused [?:~{] as Interstate Batteries is a privately owned company that manufactures it's own brand of batteries and AFAIK has nothing to do with Trojan batteries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Batteries

Perhaps what you're saying is you have a local dealer who sells both Trojan and Interstate? It makes a difference as 12 volt Trojan batteries (or 2 GC-2s in series) require a bulk charging rate of 14.8 volts which most converters can't do so unless you invest in a converter that can meet these requirements you'd be slowly damaging new Trojans from the first charge.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. [LOL] While a pair GC-2s which by definition were originally developed for golf cart use it's matter of interpretation as to what is or isn't "deep cycle", suitable for RV use. Personally I choose to believe the battery manufacturer as to their definition of "deep cycle" and the batteries they deem suitable for RV use. As an example East Penn is the largest North American manufacturer of batteries, from flooded to AGM to GEL, and their products can be purchased under a variety of labels such as Duracell in the US.

http://www.eastpenncanada.com/marine-rv.html

Here in Canada East Penn's RV batteries are sold under the name Traveler's Choice by a network of 60+ RV Care dealers located across the country. I myself bought a G31 AGM and it's a superlative battery for RV deep cycle use and of course offers advantages no flooded battery can.

It's your choice obviously but no matter what you buy just keep in mind that what you're using to charge any battery is an equal part of the equation, otherwise you'll be replacing that battery sooner rather than later. [:(]

14. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck Member

Greyfox- the local Interstate dealer states the their GC2-HCL (CAD 200.-) and GC2-ECL (CAD 219) batteries are manufactured by Trojan, have a 210ah and 225ah rating respectively, with a 100% non-pro-rated warranty. They also have their regular M-GC2 @210ah (CAD 170.-) with a 6 mo warranty. Their GC2-XHC is a bit taller, has 260ah (RC@75 of 145) with a 6mo warranty. Don't know who makes that one. All batteries have the UTL posts.

They don't have any "Trojan" labeled batteries, only their Interstate label.
    Costco is selling their GC2 for CAD 139.- locally, don't know who makes that one. 6mo warranty @100%, then drop down to almost nothing in the last couple of months.

Thanks for the Heads-Up on the chargers... I'm using a CDN Tire 011-1519-6 Eliminator automatic charger.

I think that I can make this work by using a side-wind swivel jack up front, so then I don't have to move it up forward as much. How do those compare to the top-wind style? More difficult to wind / not as efficient?

thx.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 11:28 AM
  15. GreyFox

I can find no reference anywhere that suggests Interstate is in any way associated with Trojan or that any Interstate branded batteries are manufactured by Trojan.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/about/our-history

Regardless, you want to ensure your charger's characteristics match those required for the particular batteries you choose.

Biggest issue with top wind is whether the handle would interfere with whatever you may have mounted on the trailer tongue. I quickly dispensed with having to crank the tongue jack manually by instead using a cordless drill and with travel trailers we've owned by using a power tongue jack.

[​IMG]

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

17. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck Member

OK, got the 2nd part done tonight. Picked up the Century box on the weekend - that was Part a of Part1. Part b was picking up a new bolt-on Reese Swivel Jack (with the side wind), as well as some steel 1 1/2" angle for the box base. I noticed that the spring ring on the swivel part of the new Reese jack is the same size as the one on my original jack.

So, I removed the original swivel jack and test fitted the new one on the existing welded bracket. Fits perfect. Sort of.
    As the new jack is somewhat taller (on top, from the swivel centerline to the top) I have to be a bit careful with the planning.

The new battery box will fit, but I have to move the jack bracket a bit forward on the "A" frame.

Tonight, Part 2. I removed the existed, welded on bracket from the frame. Used an angle grinder with a "Zip" wheel (thinner, cutting style) to remove almost all of the weld on the edge. Then used a hacksaw (with a NEW Starrett blade) to cut through most of the remaining weld, so as not to do any un-necessary damage. Easy-Peasy. My trusty, 30 yr. old Dremel Moto-tool with a diamond wheel made short work of the weld on the bottom and in the rounded corner.

So, clean up the A-frame and old bracket tomorrow, then on to repainting the A-frame etc. with Tremclad or POR15. Can always remove a bit of the paint when I reweld the parts. Sorry, no pics tonight.

On the battery front, looks like I'll be going with the Trojan's T105. Found an authorized supplier here in BC that sells them for CAD 190.-, which makes them cheaper than the Interstate's...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019 at 2:19 AM