Duo Therm 66100 problem

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by bruno, Nov 1, 2011.

1. bruno

bruno New Member

I have a 1984 Jayco Cardinal the heater does not have an igniter (should it have a igniter, I have to remove the little door with the little round window to light the pilot.) The second to last time I used it the fan would come on but the burner would not light I changed the thermo coupler but it did the same thing. Some times it would light some times it would not. A friend said some times if the LP tank is low that happens. The last time I used it the same thing happened I also ran out of gas in the tank I was using and switched over to the other tank and it worked for the rest of the night. What do you think.

2. austinado16

austinado16 Proud Starcraft Owner

So........it didn't work when you were running out of propane, but did work when you had enough propane? Sounds like you know what the problem was.

Regarding the ignitor; some of these old furnaces don't have one, some do. Depends on the model.

3. gec66

gec66 Member

If it has a pilot light then it does not have an igniter. Yes, a low tank can cause the pressure to be to low to consistently operate the furnace. Use a tank with plenty of propane and you should be fine.

4. austinado16

Many of these came with ignitors......and they all had pilot lights.

5. bruno

bruno New Member

Thanks for the replies I will check it out next season. Is it passable to install an igniter.

6. austinado16

The ignitors were similar to what you find on a Weber gas BBQ. Just a push button, with a piezo ignitor tip inside the burner box, next to the pilot jet and flame spreader.

If you look at your burner box, near where the gas line for the pilot, and the thin tube for the thermocouple are both located, you may find the ignitor tip/component is already in place, so all you need to do is install a push button piezo sparker. The push button assembly was usually on the outside of the aluminum furnace housing, on the right, as you face the furnace. Typically, you'll see slots in the housing there, and maybe a couple screw holes, where the push button assembly sort of slide into place and maybe had a couple screws securing it.

7. JamesIsTheName

JamesIsTheName New Member

Thanks Austinado16, this is exactly what I was looking for!