Duo-Therm 66100 Series Furnace

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Cant Wait, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Cant Wait

Cant Wait New Member

Need some help have a 1988 Starcraft PU with a Duo-Therm 66100 furnace question hope not to stupid. can you operate this furnace just off of AC power. My battery bit the dust and had to buy wife a new car so things are kind of tight till next season. I am taking them out next weekend DW and DD and want them to not freeze. I am getting a new battery for boondocking but that's not now. the idiot here thanks you for your help in advance

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I believe that is a propane heater. The igniter should work on ac. If I were going to have shore power, I would just use a plug in electric heater. No need to waste my gas if I'm paying for their electricity.

3. Cant Wait

Cant Wait New Member

Yes it's a Propane furnace with striker lgnitor , I plan on getting a electric heater for the reason you mentioned down the road.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

It should work on AC as long as your converter is functioning properly. The furnace fan is a 12-volt DC item and needs the converter to change the external AC to DC.

5. Cant Wait

Cant Wait New Member

Thanks we just got the camper a month ago this will be our first weekend trip and of course nothing breaks when you want it too lol. Had to replace a vehicle then week later hot water tank. The trip will be a sigh of relief lol Next year will have new battery or Batteries and a electric heater for those non boondocking trips

6. austinado16

austinado16 Proud Starcraft Owner

I have worked on quite a few of these Duo-Therms. Models ranging from 1981-1994. If I can give you a hand, let me know.

The camper should be wired to power that furnace off the converter, when you're plugged into shore power. If it's not, you could change the wiring at the converter to make that happen.

You can still get the original style Atwood thermostats that fit into the recessed plastic t-stat housing. Ebay and other RV parts websites are your friends. Available in brown, or white. You have to turn the t-stat "on" via the on/off lever, and then set the t-stat temp control lever higher than the current temp in the camper....you'll hear the t-stat go "clunk" inside when the temp contacts close. Within a few seconds you should have the fan start to run. About 15 seconds after that, the gas valve should click, and the burner should light.

This is a manual light furnace (as you've discovered), so light the pilot and make sure it's staying lit. There is a pilot strength adjustment if it won't stay lit.

Also, it's not too uncommon for bugs like mud daubers to build nests inside the combination intake/exhaust duct. When this happens, it chokes off the airflow to the burner box and makes the pilot light and burner act poorly.....if you can get them lit at all.

7. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Hey austinado-- since you seem to be the expert-- I have an 84 Jayco with a Duotherm furnace. Just yesterday I fired it up for the first time. Everything seems to be working fine-- just the way you described. The fan works, thermostat works, pilot works, main burner works. Before lighting it, I sprayed soap solution on all the connections I could see going to the furnace and to the pilot and did not detect any leaks. So I think it's good to go. Is there anything else I ought to check, or do? (I'm going to get a CO detector also.)
    Thanks.

8. capy235co

capy235co Member

Just a caution for you. If you have electric brakes they will not work without a battery incase of breakaway. Start networking and find someone you can borrow a battery from.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Yes, the breakaway switch needs battery power to activate the trailer brakes.

10. dackley

dackley 1999 Jayco Heritage Laurel with popout

if your pluged in to shore power and the inverter is working 12 volt power will be supplied to the furnace and any other 12 volt fixtures with out the battery being there.

11. Unstable_Tripod

True, except that it's a converter (AC to DC). An inverter goes DC to AC.

12. austinado16

austinado16 Proud Starcraft Owner

I'm definately not the expert. I've just been around a few of them and done some installations.

Sounds like you have a good working unit. There won't be an issue with CO. It brings in it's own fresh air to burn, and then exhausts all of it's combustion air back outside. Perfectly safe.