Dusty roads!

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by BobMac, Oct 13, 2018.

1. BobMac

BobMac New Member

Sep 5, 2018
    i have a place I want to go but the road on the way in is blow sand most of the season, is there any tips? Will this hurt my cable system?

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Are you concerned about the travel portion, or the camping portion? '

To seal out some dust, if your roof gasket is in poor shape, consider using some duct tape around the roof seam and then maybe some plastic over the fridge vents (fridge OFF, of course).

If you're talking about the camping portion, there's not a LOT you can do besides keeping the flaps closed if you can.

All in all, I don't think dust is going to mess up the lift system too much in one trip, but you may want to look at it a little more often.

jnc likes this.
  3. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    When I camp, I regularly boondock. I've never had an issue with dust/dirt effecting my lift system. Then again, my trailer is old and uses the L&W system, which is all internal to the box.

4. BobMac

BobMac New Member

Sep 5, 2018
    I’ve got about 4 miles of VERY dusty roads, I don’t mind going slow, but I’ve got the Goshen lift system and a really nice camper and don’t want to mess anything up

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    It depends on the road. Bumpy and lose gravel. I'm going slow.

I don't want to bang up the front of the camper with too many rocks. Or losses up every screw in the camper and have every cupboard door open and stuff all over the camper. I think the worst was an old mining road for about 12 miles. I went about 10 to 15 mph.

Dust I'm not concerned about until the dw gets inside the camper. Oh boy!

6. BobMac

BobMac New Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Yeah where I’m at no rocks all very fine sand, I just think about all the grease in the lift system and all the sand that would stick to it but man what a place to go

Attached Files:

7. Maxsterblaster

Maxsterblaster New Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Install a small fan in the roof area with a filter. it pulls filtered air in creating a positive pressure environment that keeps the dust from being able to enter. you can use a k&N style filter or pull a filter box from a car at pick and pull.

8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    I drive 30 - 40 miles down dusty roads every time I camp. No dust inside and never had a lift issue. Don’t worry about it. That’s where all the best sites are.

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Boondocking is code for I don't mind doing more maintenance:D I run up and down dirt roads almost every time I take the pup out and I don't notice any extra wear and tear. But I do oil & grease up every Spring so I don't have to worry about it all season.