E-Z PASS is the way to go!

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Deskpilot, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Jul 6, 2010
    [​IMG]

DISCLAIMER: THIS IN NOT AN AD, just good info

In the NorthEast, This is the best and fastest way way to use toll roads. The E-Z Pass system is seamlessly "inter-operable" with the Mass toll plate system. The best way to avoid any violations is to have your transponder tied to your TV. If you're like me, I have 1 transponder with TWO vehicles registered to it. That way, I don't have to worry which vehicle uses the toll road. If for some reason I don't move the transponder to the other vehicles, the system uses its license plate capture system to bill my account appropriately.

As towing our beloved Pups, relax, it's too E-Z. Add your Pup's license plate to your E-Z Pass account. As you approach the toll plaza, whether the slow lane, OR the ever increasing HIGH SPEED E-Z PASS ONLY lanes, the system will automatically count the number of axles and toll your vehicle based on the facility's particular toll schedule.

[​IMG]

Generally, there is no need to notify E-Z Pass that you are towing a vehicle. It's all automated.

Just remember to pre-load your account with sufficient funds to cover your tolls so that you don't get a violation.

Many systems offer a small percentage toll discount for E-Z Pass users. So you save money thrice:
    You're not slowing down/stopping and wasting gas resuming speed.
    Toll Discount.
    Reduced wear and tear on braking systems.

[SIZE=78%]Safe Travels and Happy camping[/SIZE]

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Just to add ..... in New England, Conn and Vermont don't have any tolls.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper New Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Central Connecticut
    CT not yet Ray!
    We got rid of them once, but they'll probably be back.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I wouldn't mind them at the borders.

5. rjniles

rjniles Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Georgetown SC
    Just for info there are in fact 2 toll roads in South Carolina with electronic toll collection. The system is called Palmetto Pass and is used on I185 in Greenville County and the Cross Island Parkway on Hilton Head Island.

BTW I have an EZ Pass for when I go up North; would not travel in that area without it. A tip, if you get an EZ Pass, get it from New York state. They do not charge a $1 monthly fee.

Also, if you go to Florida at all, get 1 of there SUN Pass transponders. It costs $5 and they give you a $5 toll credit (so its free). You can buy them on line or at rest stops.

6. JT2

JT2 Member

May 20, 2008
    Yup, EZ Pass is definitely the way to go in the NE U.S, and we'll likely be seeing more electronic toll collection as the Operating Authorities attempt to free up traffic at toll plazas and eliminate live toll collectors. (Personnel is a huge cost in any business.)

The Penna. Turnpike is putting in several EZ Pass-only interchanges, with no opportunity at all to pay cash. (They're termed "slip ramps" around here.) I'm sure other states will do this as well sooner or later.

Heh! Funny story there: there is a certain well-known toll road which on which we travel 6-7 times per year with the TV and PUP. For years, that "automated equipment" always missed the Coleman on the back of the van and only billed us for a normal (2 axle) vehicle on our 80 mile leg. The savings more than made up for the $1/mo. service fee that EZ Pass takes from the account.

They have since fixed the problem, and our trips are now a bit more costly. Rats! Nice while it lasted though!
    /JT

7. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

Down here in FL we have the SunPass. Not only do you not have to stop and pay, but you get a discount at each toll. And most of the toll plazas have special dedicated lanes that you do not have to slow down at all. Time saver in deed. Kind of a no brainer. Unless you are worried about "big brother" tracking your movements. [:O] [:O]

FL Bill

8. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    EZ Pass is the only way to go when you're on a motorcycle. The days of fumbling with your gloves on for change are over. Just keep on truckin'. And you can't add a trailer to the NJ EZ pass account, but it just automatically counts the axles.

I believe the toll road in NC going from the VA border to Nags Head accepts EZ Pass.

9. fuzz508pd

fuzz508pd Infantry leads the way!

Feb 8, 2012
    Also in PA the tolls on the PA turnpike are cheaper if you use the EZ pass!

10. iceman

iceman New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Here in va ez pass says I need a transponder for pup and tv it is not automatically calculated and they are in planning stage of putting toll plazas back on 95 in various locations with a purposed $4.00 toll for vehicles and $12.00 for trucks!

11. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Jan 13, 2008
    That road DOES accept EZpass, but the section from the border to Nags Head is free. The toll is between the border & interstate 64. I ALWAYS take the old road around the toll, as it is not any slower and it's free. It's not unusual to rejoin the same traffic I left when I exited before the toll. The toll road speed limit is still 55, and from what I saw in traffic court sometime between '02 & '06, rather heavily enforced.

12. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Aug 23, 2009
    EZ pass is also accepted in Illinois,Indiana,and Ohio and I think Maryland and DC also....guess I should have looked at the map deskpilot posted :eek:

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

13. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    No tolls in DC. Other than the growing forest of traffic enforcement cameras with outrageous fines for the smallest infractions.

And the new InterCounty Connector, MD 270, that goes from I95 to I270 is an EZ Pass only toll road. If you don't have EZ Pass, they mail you a bill with a hefty premium over the standard rate.

Its interesting that the original EZ Pass business model had the entire system cost paid for with fines from toll violators. It didn't take them long for them to realize that wouldn't cut it and start charging monthly fees to account holders.

14. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    We had eliminated all tolls many years ago but they are now back as tools to fund current and future road projects. Washington has no income tax and relies on a sales tax for much of its income. The recession has cut the state's income drastically.

We now have two Tacoma Narrows bridges, with the the new one just finished a few years ago. That has a toll. We have two major floating bridges over Lake Washington. One of them was replaced in the '90s and the other will be replaced soon. That second one now has a toll to collect money in advance of the new construction. We have no roads that are completely tolled but the state is experimenting with variable tolling on a couple of the most congested of our congested roads. An "express lane" has been set up next to the HOV lane. This lane has overhead signs which tell drivers how much it costs to drive in that lane at that time. The cost can range from 50 cents in off hours to a few dollars at rush hour.

EZ Pass is used for all of these tolls. In fact, since there is no toll gate for the variable price lane, EZ Pass is required to use it. Drive there without it and the system issues a photo ticket. You get a very nasty surprise in the mail.

Here's another interesting twist. Hybrid cars and all electric cars are slowly becoming more popular. Washington, like other states, gets some of its transportation budget from the state gasoline tax. (Ours is one of the highest in the nation.) Well, the hybrids and electrics buy less/no gas and therefore pay less/no gasoline tax while still using the roads. The technology is advancing to the point where we will soon have a substantial proportion of these cars using the roads while gas tax income drops further and faster. So, the state is trying to figure out a way to impose a mileage tax on these cars.

15. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I used EZ Pass for many years in NJ/NY/PA. Was very glad to turn it in upon moving to UT. The tolls were adding up.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    DW and I are both SOOOOOooooo glad that we don't have to commute anymore.

I did 16 years commuting across Puget Sound on the Washington State Ferries. It was 1 hour and 15 minutes door-to-door each way on a good day. If there was bad weather or equipment problems it could be a LOT longer.

17. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I hear you, U_T. Before we retired, DH and I commuted from Redondo Beach to JPL in Pasadena - about 37 miles each way, through the LA traffic. We vanpooled, which made it easier but the time was still 45-50 minutes in the morning and an hour to an hour and 15 minutes in the evening - and sometimes more (depending on traffic). [:(O]

But before DH and I combined households in 2005, I was commuting from the mountains above Lake Elsinore to JPL - 88 miles each way. I would drive the 7 miles down the hill, pick up my carpool buddy at the Elsinore Outlet Mall, then we'd drive 39 miles to Ontario where we'd catch the vanpool to work (we learned to sleep sitting up). Then the reverse in the evening. On a good day the round-trip commute time was 3 hours; on a bad day, you don't wanna know. [:O]

18. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    PA making such a crappy road even "crappier" [;)]

Seriously...it's difficult enough driving on vacation somewhere and getting in the wrong toll lane accidentally. Now you'll be able to get off and not even be able to pay. How welcoming and convenient for visitors to PA [::)]

19. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Maine is upping their tolls shortly. The MTA just voted the increase of .50 cents!!