E3 canvas replacing

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Rudy4536, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:51 PM.

1. Rudy4536

Rudy4536 Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Our 2010 e3 camper was mint when we got it last year, guy said they only used it a few times.
    Then we used it for a 2 week run.
    One night a storm came up fast and showered the awing and top of the canvas ( which is not really canvas) with hot ambers from the fire pit. we ended up with about a hundred tiny holes on one bed end. Out came the gorilla tap and we stayed dry. I thought about gizmos , but the truth is i want the camper back to mint and thinking about new canvas on one end. So the question is how does the canvas attach at the bottom? camper is put away for the winter so i can't look right now, but i seem to remember the top as doable but the bottom was behind a aluminum plate??
    Any help appreciated
    Thanks

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I would recommend Canvas Replacements ....... Canvas slides into a track IIRC

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    About the same thing happened to me when I firs got my OF-ROAD camper. A couple of big cats took refuge on the top of the opened up POPUP. I had all kinds of pin holes going through both tent bed ends...

I ended up just installing a 9X12 cheapo tarp from WALMART... Used stretch rope to hold it in place... Makes it a lot cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter...

A typical 9X12 tarp lasts a couple of seasons before needed replaced...

Probably not the best looking thing in the world but works great for us...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Roy's images...

I can replace the traps several times before paying the big bucks to replace the roof...

The tarps also darken the tent bed areas during the daytime in high sun...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. Rudy4536

Rudy4536 Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Ray,
    I'm pretty sure the top of the canvas slides into a track. it's the bottom bed ends that have me concerned. i don't want to tear it apart if i can't get it back together as nice as new.
    Maybe I'll go raise the top a take a look, maybe a picture of what I'm talking about will help.
    Thanks again for the replies

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I was thinking the E-3 was a lot like mine. A Shepard pole supports the center tent roof canvas... Looks like this...

[​IMG]
    Google image
    I remember looking at SOMERSET E-3 before getting my 2008 RT Series OFF-ROAD POPUP... My two tent bed ends does slide out on a floor mounted frame that you pull out when you raise the roof but the canvas is attached to an end pole arrangement and the top center pole...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 6:35 PM
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We never took off the canvas on our Cobalt, a smaller sibling of the E3. However, we did so on our earlier pup, when we got a replacement. I don't remember thinking that the Cobalt would be any more difficult. Just take pics as you go along, That helped with our old pup, when we forgot about some of the clips in the time the canvas was off (much longer than you're contemplating).
    We had a good experience with Canvas Replacements; Bear Creek has similar prices and reputation. I suggest contacting both with the make, model, year, and VIN (helps them confirm details) of your E3, and also ask about the options you have for type of canvas, etc.

7. mk4

mk4 New Member

Nov 20, 2014
    For coleman/fleetwood, I think the canvas is 4 or 5 piece. The bunk ends will cost like $30uu0-$400 each. They're screwed in on top and have a sew in tube that slides into a c-channel. If you're in Southern California, my mom can sew on a new top for you.

8. Rudy4536

Rudy4536 Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Thanks MK4,
    I'm in Wisconsin. ..