"econ" button on minivan on or off for towing?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by jatolman, May 18, 2017 at 7:26 PM.

1. jatolman

jatolman Member

Jun 29, 2016
    We just picked up our new Clipper 108ST today! We are towing it with a 2014 Chrysler Town and Country minivan. Our van has a fuel economy button on the front dash that says "econ" that supposedly gets the van better gas mileage when turned on. My question is whether its best for our transmission to tow a trailer with this econ button on or off. We can't find any clear answer in the user manual. Any advice about this? We really don't want to put undo wear on our transmission.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Active Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    You'll likely want to turn it off when towing. The econ button causes the transmission to shift for best economy, not best power.

3. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    My wife's Honda Civic has an Econ button. Tried it once and the car was sluggish and under powered. That being said.....I can't imagine adding an additional 2000 plus lbs to tow and using Econ on your van.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    What does your vans owners manual say ?? [RTM]

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com likes this.
  5. p

p Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Off

6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I agree with the others to turn it off while towing. On most cars that button just dulls throttle response (you have to push the pedal further to get the same power) and may change the shift points to upshift as quickly as possible. For towing you'll likely want all available power on hand and to stay in lower gears longer, so off would be best.

I don't think there would be harm in leaving it on as the car's computer should keep it in the correct gear. However, if it kept trying to upshift for economy purposes then having to downshift at the slightest hill, that would bad. Constant shifting is what's hardest on an automatic transmission.