Electric vs gas

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by CO Hiker, Sep 16, 2016.

1. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Last trip out I was cooking on the stove outside when a seasoned gentleman explained to me that I was wasting my money. "You pay for full hook-up and then just run the lights/radio for two maybe three hours. You use your propane to cook. Why you burning your cash?" The method to his thought was, buy an electric griddle or hot plate to cook on at serviced campgrounds and use the electricity you're paying for and save the gas for when your out in the wilds. Being new to this game I thought about that a minute so I'm curious if others are of the same mindset.

2. chambo

chambo Active Member

Nope. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Nope....I like to cook on a gas stove and propane grill.

4. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

We'll use an electric coffee maker and run the fridge on shore power but use propane to cook.

5. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

Yep, have had a number of folks expound that idea... Mostly around heating, but some over cooking.
    When I did the math on it, and my "cost" for LP was 5$ a day to keep the PUP nice on a 37ish day in a the fall.
    The cooking use is pennies.
    Just not a real argument in my book.

Now if you like cooking on electric, then that is a different story.

6. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I don't think cooking with gas or electricity is camping. I use the gas as back-up/pressed by time or weather. Any idea how much gas you would use hauling the stuff to cook with electricity?

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I figure I've already got the stove in the camper. No need to carry extra stuff.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We always cook on the gas stove and BBQ over a wood fire (once in a while charcoal). As for heat in the pup, if I have full hookups I will use my ceramic heater.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

It's almost the same argument if you were buying a home. Gas or electric. I love my gas and hated our electric when growing up. It took me a bit to learn how to cook on gas but I love it. My dad on the other hand loves electric. If all your doing is cooking with your propane it can last a long time without being filled. Here is another thought, if you cook with electric you would have to bring more stuff which means where do you store it. Then you have to worry about how your going to plug it in without tripping the breaker. So no, for me propane or the even more rustic way, campfire. To each their own.

10. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Another thought is, what happens if it's raining? You would have to protect the cords from water while cooking if your using an extension cord or where ever your plugged in.

12. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

It is valid reasoning but we prefer to cook on gas.

We do use an electric heater rather than the LPG furnace. The furnace uses a lot more LPG than the stove.

13. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

if you try and apply financial "logic" to any RV experience.......none of it makes sense.

14. cham5

cham5 Member

x2 on what Jumpoff said

15. Ryanm

Ryanm New Member

We cook with gas for breakfast, don't cook lunch and cook dinner on the fire (except to boil water for corn or pasta).

I have a one mug coffee maker for when we have hookups, but I can't see getting a different cooking setup for those mornings. We already have gas for our backyard grill, bringing it along is easy enough.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

On the same page with Jumpoff, it depends on what each person's style is, as well as space to tote things.

Our first pup didn't have a furnace, so we used a space heater in cold weather, if we knew we'd have power. We used it to supplement the furnace in the second pup, but only in the evenings, it made more noise than the furnace (it was picky on/off/on/off.....). Haven't bothered with the TT, though we may use a different one on our last two trips this year, to even out the heat.
    I prefer to cook on gas, know how to cook on both white gas and LP. We don't have space, even with the TT, to transport a lot of extra appliances. We've taken, as an experiment on various trips, a toaster oven and electric skillet. Neither made more than one trip. We may take the Instant Pot for Thanksgiving, when we're meeting friends at a campground, if I can figure out enough dishes to use it for to make the space worthwhile. The microwave (the TT arrived with it) will get used, but it makes good dry storage when we don't have power.

17. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We cook over a flame, gas charcoal wood...even perk our coffee.
    We even cook with gas at home....Don't care for cooking with electric.
    But do have an electric heater for the camper....and have camped in cold enough that both needed to be run.

18. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Converted the water heater to dual fuel to use electric.

Carry ceramic space heaters to heat with electric (buying a Mr. Buddy for when boondocking)

Cooking was either done on the gas stove or charcoal. Recently purchased a combo grill/burner propane unit because our last trip was quite wet and charcoal was no longer an option at times.

Planning on disconnecting and removing the LP tank from the tongue as we don't use it for anything when hooked to electric and all our boon docking equipment is high pressure feed anyway.

19. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

" Planning on disconnecting and removing the LP tank from the tongue as we don't use it for anything when hooked to electric and all our boon docking equipment is high pressure feed anyway"

Ny-rocking-chairs Why get rid of the LP tanks. With the right regulator you can use it for high pressure and feed your boon docking equipment.

20. digger2

digger2 Member

OK,MY BROTHER BROUGHT TO LIGHT THE SAME THING TO ME. "why are you using your gas when you can use your hookup power ?" We bought an electric griddle and have been using it ever since. Not for everything,but a lot just for convenience. In fact when we go to a state park with hookups,we don't even take our tanks.Its like the guy told you, you paid for the electric,you might as well use it. We use the campfire fore some stuff,but not everything.