Electrical issues Inside and out

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by RScozz, Aug 12, 2018.

1. RScozz

RScozz New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Hi, my first problem was that the interior lights, fan and other items are not working with the battery power, but they are with the 120v power. I noticed, however, that the water pump IS working with battery power.

(Solution found for second problem. It was the grounding.) THEN, as I was doing my pre-inspection, a bigger problem emerged. I am planning a trip tomorow, when I hooked up the camper to the electrical in the car, none of the exterior running lights are running.

The way I have it hooked up, is I have an adapter to connect the 4 pin power conector in the car to the trailer's 7 way blade connector. And I have the ground wire from the adapter, connected to the frame of the car (Metal hook trunk latch).

Last year, when I had another car, I had no issues. This is the first time hooking it up to my 2015 Subaru Outback.

I don't know what's going on and I am concerned as I'm supposed to go camping tomorow with the family.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Check your wires going up to the roof. Usually runs in the canvas next to a lifter post.
    Make sure the taillights are ON in the Outback, sometimes we forget that the daytime driving lights do not turn on a lot of taillights.
    After that, the terminal next to the bare one on the flat four should have power when the taillights are on.

emoney likes this.
  3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    “Auto” headlights were the culprit for me.

4. RScozz

RScozz New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Hi Ray,

Thanks for the advice. I found the culprit with the second issue, the grounding was cnot connected properly so the outside running lights did not work. Once I connected proper grounding, the lights are bright and work great.

Regarding the first issue, it's not just the inside lights I should add. It's also the fan, the outside night light by the door and the outlets don't work. But when connected to 120V, they do work just fine. It's just on Battery.

So if the wiring were broken, it wouldnt work when conneted to 120V.

anyway, much appreciated for your help and advice.

emoney likes this.
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I don't see what your trailer is but I suspect it has trailer electric brakes. How are you going to provide a Brake Controller module with your 2015 Subaru Outback. If the trailer does have Electric Brakes then the DOT Safety laws also states you must have battery setup on the trailer that can be auto activated if the trailer becomes disconnected from your tow vehicle when going down public roads.

Generally the DOT laws is if you have Electric brakes you must use them...

Hopefully you have planed for these additional issues already...

Roy Ken

6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    That issue also sounds like it could be cause by the wiring to the battery and trailer. Have you checked since you fixed the ground issue?

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Your outlets are not designed to work on battery. Its the battery charged? Battery hooked up properly? Any fuses blown?

8. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Does your power center automatically switch to 12v when not connected to 120v? Mine has a switch to select battery or shore power.

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    There should be an inline fuse or a circuit breaker at the battery. Have you checked there. From your description it has to be that or the wire from the battery to the power panel is not connected.

10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would check the ground on the trailer lights. If all else fails tomorrow goto Harbor Freight and get a set of Magnetic Towing lights. They are made to use with your 4 pin connector. Oh ya get a hand full of zip ties to hold up the wire & hold the lights in place to.