electronic range selector

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by campingranny, Apr 29, 2018.

1. campingranny

campingranny Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Elizabeth, PA
    Hello All, I have a question and I know with all the knowledge on this forum I will get an answer. I tow with a 2012 Town and Country, the manual says to put it in #3 for the electronic range selector, now from what I read in the manual this limits the gears that won't go above 3rd for towing. My question when I put it in the #3 and start to drive the engine seems to race and it changes to #4. Is it supposed to do this? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    At what approximate speed is it shifting into 4th (Overdrive)?

3. campingranny

campingranny Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Elizabeth, PA
    i think about 40 or so. I never really noticed exactly.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Are you positive it is 3 to 4 and not 2 winding out before going into 3rd.

5. campingranny

campingranny Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Elizabeth, PA
    im positive its 3 to 4. after it switches to 4 the engine quiets down. less reving

6. campingranny

campingranny Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Elizabeth, PA
    the #3 on selector changes to a #4

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Those have a 6-speed automatic. You are likely over revving the engine and it's forcing a shift to 4th so it doesn't grenade itself.

What RPM does it shift at when it shifts from 3rd to 4th?

8. campingranny

campingranny Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Elizabeth, PA
    I cant remember what rpm's exactly, it happens when I tow and I havent done that this year yet. but without the camper it stays in 3 but sounds kinda noisy. rpm's around 3. and when I put it in 4 around 4/5 rpm's. I just want to make sure i'm not doing anything wrong or damaging engine or tranny. Any input is appreciated.

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    The car is smart enough to not let you do any damage, so you don’t really have much to worry about. It’s doing its job when it overrides your setting and up shifting to 4th automatically.

When I looked up the owners manual for your van online, it just said to lock out gears while towing if it keeps shifting back and forth between gears. It looks like only 6th gear in your transmission is an overdrive and 5th is direct. Typically on automatics, you just want to lock out overdrive. I’d say set the electronic gear selecter to 5 while towing and see how it does. If it still downshifts a lot, go ahead and drop to 4.

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Just put it in D and let it do the work. If you are running lower gear than necessary you'll burn more fuel. If you find it is shifting too much, then lock out 6th gear and leave it in 5.

11. campingranny

campingranny Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Elizabeth, PA
    Thank you so much for the responses. I read and reread anything I could before I posted but because I really didn't understand is why I asked. I think I understand now. I can camp easy now. Thank you again and happy camping.