Elevated storage over winter?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Matt Benoit, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I was wondering if any of you have thoughts on getting the tires off the ground for the off season. I store my pup in an unheated detached garage. If I used some jackstands under the frame to get the wheels off of the ground, might I extend the life of the tires somewhat? Tires are new this year (bias ply). Thanks for your opinions!

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Had a friend that did that on his TT and said it did not help. It is stored in his workshop over the winter. Reducing the tire pressure some may help. Put a note on your trailer tongue to remind you check tire pressure in the spring.

3. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I thought about lowering the tire pressure also. I'm not sure how prone bias tires are to getting a flat spot from sitting too long. Anyone ever deal with this?

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    May have to jack it up anyway to prevent flat spotting.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I figure the tires are good for 5 years, so im not going to do anything. I did think about it though.

6. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    So, I'm not necessarily trying to get the tires passed the 5 year mark, I'm more or less thinking about avoiding damage (flat spot) so they can make it to 5 years. My pup hasn't moved since July 8th, and likely won't move again until next May. .. Not happy about that BTW

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Park the pup so the tires are on top of something like Lynx Levelers of a short piece of wood, lower the tongue jack and say good night until next year.. If you want add an extra 5 but no more then 10 psi to the tires, if you do this mark the tire psi on the sidewall with some chalk so you remember in the spring that they were over inflated. Outside of that and the normal winterization , that would be about it..

Overland likes this.
  8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Increasing the tire pressure helps prevent flat spotting.

Overland likes this.
  9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I used to put my boat trailer up on jacks when I stored it outside, but inside, I do not bother.

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Well, I put my PUP on it's tires, on the bare ground, at normal pressure for winter storage for 5 years. Never had a flat spot, never worried about it.

11. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    My pup sits in an unheated garage with concrete floor from November to May. I put jackstands under the tongue to take the pressure off the tongue jack but otherwise don't do anything else. Tires are bias ply and never had a problem.

12. mandinga

mandinga Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Ottawa, ontario
    I store my trailer off site and outdoors. I support the trailer with jack stands under the axle and remove the wheels in the winter, and store them indoors away from UV rays. Also prevents theft.

13. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Thanks for the input everyone. I may still put some jackstands under her. It can't hurt anything, if it does help avoid any tire issues it's just a plus.