Experience renting out pop-up? Pros & Cons welcome

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by SBradley, May 12, 2017.

1. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Thanks for pointing me in this direction! I've become a big fan of the old Colemans. I've been scouring for them - but it's hard to be first in line for the good deals. https://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/6124419674.html

Orchid likes this.
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree that they sell super quickly. When we decided to go back to an older Coleman, I watched Craigslist every single day and *poof* they were gone within hours. I finally found one with a bathroom, brakes, and a/c that had several active leaks, 2 soft spots on the floor that needed fixed, mold on the canvas, and a roof that needed Grizzly Gripped.

Because of the work it needed, it was actually available for a couple of days. We went and looked at it and decided the all the problems had easy enough fixes and everything was in working order. I was able to negotiate nearly 1/3 off the asking price, due to the work we needed to do on it. Now it's in perfect condition and I plan to keep it indefinitely.

If I were in your position, I would find exactly what you want and then sell your Mesa. No need to have two pop ups, and the money from the Mesa could replace the money spent on the camper you really want, with brakes, a/c/ and a bathroom.

I tow our pup with a 3500 lb tow capacity as well. It's big for a pup but no problems. Brakes make a world of difference. Also adding a sway bar, if needed can make for a much easier tow. Don't be afraid of a larger pup over towing issues. It could be that a larger one will tow better right off the bat. They all kind of tow different. Our long TT is a much easier tow than my daughter's hybrid. Much depends on the trailer and how weight is distributed.

I would pass on Coleman Baysides, as I have heard them referred to as "Swaysides" too many times. I have no idea what the floor plan looks like, but I know they don't tow well. Never read any complaints about other older Colemans.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    My Bayside tows just fine. I have good lr D tires on it and a swaybar on the tongue which I used on my previous camper. It's like a rock back there. I believe most people have trouble because it is tongue light. I'd never tow with the water tank full because it's behind the axle and in my opinion would make it behave badly.

4. Orchid

I stand corrected. :smiley: I'm really glad to read this. Being a big Coleman fan, I hated to eliminate any specific model. Just wanted to put it out there since SBradley was nervous about towing anything larger to being with.

Looks like Baysides are a go wit the proper precautions. A sway bar is a good idea, anyway, on all campers. I have read it here (sorry I can't remember who said it) but it really clicked for me - "You don't need it until you need it." So true. Even if camper is already pulling great, it's peace of mind for emergencies.

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    In my opinion, the tires had a bigger impact on how it towed. The original owner had C load range radials that were 13 years old. The C range tires were at their limit load wise. The new D range tires made a noticeable difference.

As for a swaybar, I have always been a fan. It just make the ride smoother going down the interstate and having the big semis blow by me...

6. Orchid

:shocked: The tires were clearly a problem. That would be a given to replace them. Since you already had a sway bar, you may never have experienced with others are talking about. Just a good idea, in general, to have one.

@SBradley, I would recommend a sway bar on anything you get. And, as mentioned here, proper tires are very important. Take care of things like this (and empty water tank on Bayside) and you will tow big better than small, and wondered why you waited so long. :smiley: The a/c is a must for Myrtle Beach.

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I once had problems with swaying with my 96 Coleman Key West until I moved a microwave to near front and the swaying stopped. Just a matter of weight distributing. Tires weren't the problem for me.

I would buy a portable A/C to prevent roof sagging. And its a lot cheaper, also.

8. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    First, and I say this sincerely, I appreciate you all taking the time to give me advice. Not only is it practical advice, but also opinions to weigh, for which I'm so grateful. So far, no camper that fits the bill has magically appeared. There are so many scam posts on Craigslist, but I'm getting good at spotting them. There is this Skamper, but I know nothing about the brand: https://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/6131100439.html

***As I'm typing I'm found this 2000 Santa Fe; it's smaller than what I wanted, and the asking price is higher than I've seen: https://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/6134705629.html. I need room for the boogie boards.
    Also see these two: https://youngstown.craigslist.org/rvs/6134040677.html
    https://mansfield.craigslist.org/rvs/6134267111.html

My trip is next week, I plan to depart on Wednesday, and short of finding my dream PUP, this trip (my PUP) is getting VERY expensive!! :shocked: I really want to be safe, and my mom added a fear factor.
    MOM: "Your dad would have NEVER driven through the mountains without brakes on the trailer."
    ME: "Mom, he was pulling a 24' trailer."
    MOM: "Doesn't matter."
    ME: In my head...Headlines read... family dies in car/PUP crash. Driver lives. Experts say accident was cause by irresponsible towing.

I have the camper in for inspection wheel bearings repacked. I called them back and asked for a quote on brake installation when they get to my PUP. The wiring is there, just zip-tied to the frame. If I get brakes, I'll need a brake controller, battery, battery box, and a Coleman battery harness. Then there's the portable A/C unit, which I may go without for this trip. (My poor mom and dog.) If I do all of this, I think I'd have to keep it to get my money's worth out of it because I doubt I could sell it for my purchase price + my expenses. My mom had a porta-potty in the attic that will have to do for now.

Anything I'm forgetting?? :)

I'm not so sure about adding a sway bar just yet. I haven't had issues with side to side, just bounce. I need to get my car looked at.

I will be PRAYING this is the magic weekend where everyone puts their PUP up for sale - but even still I doubt I'll have time to find a place to inspect it before going on a long trip. I'm feeling like cheap airfare, rental car and condo might have cost less and been less work. Too late to abort now! (or is it?) Is my PUP just not safe for this trip?

Opinions? Thoughts?

9. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Oh, and I need new safety chains, and if I get brakes a breakaway system.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I would just stay in a hotel, particularly at MB.

11. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Just thought I'd give an update - my trip to Myrtle Beach is on Wednesday!
    I did not buy the 8' box for our trip - so I will not become a rental agent either! I continued looking for a 10' box that would suit our needs, but nothing viable came up for sale in the area. I thought about renting a condo, but instead I decided to invest in brakes for my PUP ($500), and a brake controller w/installation ($275). At least that is something that will help me out with towing for this trip, and down the line. If I would have used the money to rent a unit, I would still have a camper with no brakes and feel limited until finding my next 'new to me' PUP.

I'm comfortable with my decision, and can now focus on the prep and excitement of my first long-distance trip!! (And nerves) Thanks everyone!!

12. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I hope you all have a great time.

13. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Thanks!! :)

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Have fun in Myrtle Beach... I enjoyed camping at Pirateland campground. Its more fun closer to the beach than near the road.

15. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Thanks! I'll be checking out Pirateland while we are there- we are camping at Huntington Island SP.