Expert advice needed

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Muddyroads, Jun 15, 2019.

Is it worth it

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nope

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Muddyroads

Muddyroads New Member

Hello all! I'm new to the tent trailer world but very excited to join! Right now I'm still in the process of buying my 1st trailer. I found one that seems to have everything I need & very well taken care of. But when I pull it up on NADA pricing, there's a big gap & not to my favor. It's a 2002 StarCraft high side tent trailer m2406. Is that really a good indicator of price? Thanks for time.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia. The NADA listing is only a guide. The pup is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
    How much is the owner asking and what does NADA list it for

Orchid, Sjm9911, Rik Peery and 2 others like this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Nada is a guide... it can be a great tool when used correctly, unfortunately most sellers and buyers don;t nor do they ubderstand how to use it. In many cases they select all the items listed as options that the trailer has. Problem is 90% of the time these items are not options. You have to start by using google and finding an original brochure for the trailers Y/M/M. Then look at what items were included with that model number. Back at Nada, you ONLY select those items that weren't originally included. Those are options.. Just because the unit has a fridge and awning doesn't meen they are to be selected on Nada..

Orchid, HappyTraveler and Muddyroads like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

NADA also does not take into consideration season and geographic area. For example In my area NADA tends to be about $1000 less then what they sell for here. The best. I've seen where people list a camper for more, but when someone waves cash they lower the price to something the buyer wants. I've also seen it where someone is selling junk for a high dollar amount and refuse to budge on price. Yeah those people end up still sitting on that camper for a long time. Campers being sold at dealers tend to sell quite high as well.
    So it is really up to you whether it's worth buying or not.

5. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

I would be concerned about resale as well. If you pay too much will you ever get it back? It could turn out to be too small for your family or you may decide you don't really like Pup camping etc. I know buying a Pup is never going to make you money but lets not lose to much either. I would keep looking. Maybe the seller will come back to you with a better price.

Muddyroads likes this.
  6. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Prices will vary by location, condition, and season. Spring is a sellers market as people are ready to go camping. Late Fall and early Winter tend to be more in favor of the buyer. Supply and demand also has a lot to do with price. If you live in an area where the market is flooded with PUPs the price will be lower. If availability is sparse you can't expect people to hold out for a higher price.

Muddyroads and Byrd_Huntr like this.
  7. Muddyroads

Muddyroads New Member

Thank you for your reply. It's being sold for $4,000 and it only rates for about $2,000. It has also been meticulously taken care of.

8. Muddyroads

Muddyroads New Member

Thank you for all the help! I really appreciate it. In my area it seems that they are selling for quite a bit or there's a reason it's so cheap. I just want to try and make a solid choice & have something that I don't lose a lot of value once I buy it.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

NADA isn't the best for reasons stated above. Also, unlike cars, RVs have a much wider range of pricing in general. Many people say when buying new, to not pay more than 60% of the MSRP - you wouldn't get that with a car. I usually do a search for other sales of the same rig and compare their asking prices to the one I'm looking at.

In the end, for me it always ends up "is it worth it to me" as the deciding factor. I don't want to be screwed on price, but I also consider my time as valuable. I may save $500 by waiting, but it may take me another six months - is that six months longer of not having it worth that $500?

Muddyroads likes this.
  10. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

What helped me was to get a feel for how much different types of pups should sell for in my area. That takes time and work spent looking online and in person. For myself, sellers in our area seemed to be in love with their pups and ask a lot for them. They also didn't have some features that we wanted. Looking farther away, the prices for comparable pups were lower and we also noticed that they had the features we wanted.
    As mentioned, dealers typically ask more, but then they've probably also gone through and hopefully fixed the problems that the pup might have had and perhaps have a warranty.
    Honestly, I didn't find NADA to be at all realistic with their prices based on what I was seeing online and in person.
    If you feel this camper is what you want and you have a price for what YOU think it's worth (based on your research), offer that. If they say no, then you decide if you want to pay their price or walk away. As mentioned, taking cash and having it out when you make your offer may help swing things in your favor.

Muddyroads likes this.
  11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Check your local Craigslist and FB - try to see what decent campers are going for near you. $4 grand isn't too bad if it's truly clean and well maintained.

Orchid, Muddyroads and HappyTraveler like this.
  12. Muddyroads

Muddyroads New Member

Thank you all for your great input! Unfortunately that one sold out before I was able to look at it. They seem to be going really quick right now. I will be better prepared on the next one.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  13. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Yeah, we had a few sell before we could get to see them. In the end it worked out for the best b/c we ended up with an even better camper than any of the ones we missed out on.

Muddyroads and neighbormike like this.
  14. generok

generok Well-Known Member

NADA is worthless where I am... PUPs sell for what the market will bear. Folks who are tired of tent camping in Alaska will pay $2500 for a PUP as long as it works, even a 1994. It's only worth it if you are willing to pay the price and enjoy it.

15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Especially for a high wall! People get $3500 out of every piece of junk around here. And they sell fast, pretty much year round.

NADA is useless. Even though it has you put in your zip code, you still will won't get an accurate price, at least for pups. They always go quite a bit higher than their "list price." Check around and get a feel for what the prices are in your area, that way when you see a good camper that you want, you'll have a better idea what's it's worth.

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

For instance, look at this garbage. And it will sell. It's only been up for two days. Will be gone by the end of the weekend, I'm sure. For $4k, I would jump on any well kept, good condition high wall, almost regardless of the year.

This seller claims "repairs have made everything solid." In my opinion, his repairs have made everything ghetto. Sloppy job and likely far from solid. And he claims "wheels are in great shape." I'm assuming he means tires. However, I'll bet that upon checking the date stamp, they are way too old to be in use. People that don't know better will see good tread and go with it.

It's insane what people get for pups in Florida. I don't really understand why they sell so high and so quickly. There are literally hundreds of TTs on facebook marketplace, at cheaper prices, that will sit forever.

garbage.JPG

tzmartin likes this.
  17. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

I wonder if there will come a time that popups come back into popularity like they were in their peak in 1998. They really are a great deal if you have a lot of kids who need to sleep and can't afford expensive tow vehicles or travel trailers.

Muddyroads and Orchid like this.
  18. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I see you are in Eastern oregon. We live in Northern Utah. Utah is always well above NADA. But we bought one of our trailers up in Boise and it was cheaper than what it would have sold for here in Utah. So just keep watching all the sales and you learn to get a feel. I looked online at soooo many trailers, looked in person at over 10, and realized that the trailer I thought would be "the one" wasn't so much. So I had to cool my jets to not settle because I wanted one right away. Good luck!

Muddyroads and HappyTraveler like this.
  19. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

You basically described Utah's market. At least 7 years ago we had the highest birthrate in the nation and popups offer a lot of sleeping space in a much lighter, smaller, cheaper package. Plus we have such amazing outdoor opportunities close by so every other person has a popup or travel trailer it seems.

Muddyroads likes this.
  20. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

We bought 2 new campers after spending lots of time waiting for a good used deal to appear. We visited many sellers from craigslist for a few months. It was a lot of work and time. We wanted something in mint condition, clean, spotless, not dirty, not a major makeover project, no roof issues. Whenever something listed mint condition appeared we tried to drop everything and go and see it. Often it would sell faster than we could get there. Both times we bought a camper, we ran out of patience in the used market and bought new with a home equity loan that is now paid off, and has saved us thousands of dollars over resort cabins or expensive travel trailers that sleep 6+.

Muddyroads and Orchid like this.