Exterior diy pop up paint job

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by Patti Patton, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I am going to attempt to paint the exterior of my pop up and put decals on it. I'll gently rough it up, tape off all the little doors and things, and use rustoleum. Any advice? Warnings? Hints or hacks?

2. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Dec 4, 2016
    West Virginia
    Best of luck and post pictures. I will be doing the same thing later this spring. Make sure all of the goo is off from the decals or it will show through on your paint. I know there are other info on this site about painting so might want to look around.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We've done this on our last two pop-ups.

First one, we removed all the decals and put new ones, from eBay, on it. Our current one, I really loved the decals, even though the main one had a scratch through it, so I taped them all off and we painted and kept them.

Our pups decal shows a pup at a campfire, with smoke coming up, surrounded by mountains. It's so awesome! I imagine it's on many old Coleman campers.

Anyway, we used spray cans and both came out great. My husband didn't like the way Rustoleum sprayed so we used another brand. The paint is good, he just didn't like the nozzle. We used four cans on our current pup. I don't remember how many on the last one, but likely more since we had to cover where the decals had been.

4. Gunz

Gunz New Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Is it actually metal, or dimpled fiberglass? If the latter, roll it with Valspar.

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I would roll it regardless. I would use a 4" foam roller. I would put Penetrol in the paint to make it go on smoother.

Rattlecan jobs on a large surface usually always look spotty.

Mamie and Sparewife like this.
  6. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    IMG_0615.JPG IMG_0619.JPG Welll, I did it! Turned out great! I will attempt to post a picture, but that might be more difficult than painting the camper! I think I posted a before and after. Still have to paint the door. I also painted the roof with flex steel. Love it! Painted all the black parts black also.

7. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Dec 4, 2016
    West Virginia
    Looks nice.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Nice job, looks professional. Happy Camping

9. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Albany, Oregon
    Have you finished yet?

10. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Have any advice for getting the leftover decal goo off dimpled aluminum skin? Would Goo-Gone work or better to use wire brush/wheel?

Looking to paint it next year!

11. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Have you tried mineral spirits?