External Propane Quick Connect

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by RonBaby, May 7, 2009.

1. RonBaby

RonBaby New Member

May 10, 2008
    Jourdanton, TX
    I have an external quick connect for propane which I have tried to use to no avail. I have constructed a dual connect hose for my coleman propane stove and small grill but I get no gas when connected. The inside stove works fine. I have a 2007 starcraft 2107. I assume since they put the quick connect on, it must be connected to the tank. It has a safety lever to open and close but does not work in either position. Does anyone know if there is another safety valve or if these models even have the quick connect hooked up? I only see one hose coming off the tank and going to the popup however.

2. AJP

AJP I've gone to the dark side

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    My starcraft also has an outside quick connect and it works fine. The only shut off for mine is right on the quick connect. If you crawl under the camper you can see how the propane line is split and T's out.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Your propane stove and grill are high pressure devices. The quick connects are attached to the low pressure side of the system. So you will not get enough LP flowing to light it. Your propane stove and grill probably have their own high pressure regulators built on to them, too.

If you want to use them, you willl have to attach to your tank before the regulator.

4. AJP

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    You sure about that? My 2001 Starcraft 1404 has a quick connect both inside and outside for the stove. Both work just fine for me.

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I have a quick connect both inside and outside. They are for the low pressure stove that came with the camper. If Ron is trying to connect a standard camping propane stove or grill to the quick connect, he won't be able to get them to light. They are designed to get high pressure straight from the tank and have their own regulators.

6. AJP

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    Ah that makes sense then. I am using the stove that came with my camper and is designed to be used with the quick connects.

7. RonBaby

RonBaby New Member

May 10, 2008
    Jourdanton, TX
    So I guess the quick connect is for propane lanterns? What else can I use it for? Any low pressure stoves/grills out there?

8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Ron, I don't think that you could even use it for a lantern. Most lanterns are high pressure too.

If you have an Indoor/outdoor stove as part of your pup, that will work with it. Or an RVQ that they like to sell with pups.

9. RonBaby

RonBaby New Member

May 10, 2008
    Jourdanton, TX
    Ok,

Thanks for the info

Ron

10. phipps

phipps New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Sidney, OH
    If he disconnects the hose with the regulator and gets a hose with a connection to fit the grill on one end and the quick connect on the other it WILL work. I did exactly that with a Brinkman stove I have.

Click the link below to see what I did. I had the hose made by MB Sturgis.

http://www.gallery.pstartech.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=69822

11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    True, but that means that your stove, refrigerator, and water heater don't have the low pressure propane that they need, since you have turned the entire system to high pressure propane. Better I think to just get a long hose and connect directly to the tank.

12. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Apr 15, 2007
    North Carolina
    I also have a useless external quick connect.
    What Bruce said is exactly what my intentions were for adding a second tank and cover. I leave one tank hooked up as usually for the camper and the second with this 12ft hose to the RoadTrip grill or the Buddy Heater.

[​IMG]

13. phipps

phipps New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Sidney, OH
    I have NOT modified the PUP system in any way. Most grills ARE low pressure AFTER the regulator. I simply removed the supply hose that would have run from a bottle to my stove and replaced it with a hose that allows me to attach it to the LOW pressure side of my camper system.

This will only work if you have a pigtail like the one shown in my pics. If your grill/stove has a regulator that is built into it somewhere internally, then no my mod would not work.

Take a look at your manual for your grill/stove and see what the spec is for the LP supply. If it is 11" WC then it is low pressure and my mod will work.

14. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Ok I understand what you are saying. Basically you removed the regulator from your grill which allows you to use the low pressure connection on your camper.

15. phipps

phipps New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Sidney, OH
    Exactly. I kept the hose with regulator just in case I ever want to hook the stove directly to a LP bottle.

16. jzyg

jzyg New Member

May 23, 2009
    This is great information. I am interested in this exact thing but still am not 100% clear. I have a Coleman Road Trip LX (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=2210&product_id=9941-768) that comes with a screw connector (with what appears to be a regulator) that screws onto the what appears to be a 3/8 male on the back of the actual grill that takes 1 lb. propane throw aways (I hate wasting and not recycling). My 2002 Flagstaff 228D has the same female quick connect (1/2" I think) with the handle (open/close) as was mentioned above. The propane tank on the tongue has the standard regulator/breather apparatus thingy that feeds into the PUP standard (no modifications). I THINK that I can simply connect the PUP 3/8" female quick connect directly to the 1/4" male on the grill. Please let me know if that this should/could work and what connector(s) are available to do this. I have been scouring the internet, forums/boards, as well as the propane and air compressor (can I use those if they fit as well air ~= propane) accessory section at the local hardware store and tractor supply stores. ANY help would be greatly appreciated, links and pictures work great to since I am a visual kind of guy (aren't we all) :)

17. twstdpear

twstdpear Party like it's 2012!

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern VA
    jzyg: Based on what I've been reading, you seem to be on the right track. The trick seems to be finding a hose with a male quick disconnect on one side, and the 1/4" female on the other side (or whatever it is -- what the grill's regulator screws onto). And that's where I'm at too.

18. jzyg

jzyg New Member

May 23, 2009
    Perfect. That is what I thought. I have http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/images/products/thumbnails/21206-1.jpg. Which means it has the regulator built in. I will want to remove that and just run a direct connect (somehow) between the RV extension (1/2" female quick connect) and the 3/8" male connect on the back of the Coleman Road Trip LX grill. I just need to build that 'direct connect' somehow. Thanks for verifying my assumptions/interpretations.

19. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Pa.
    z

20. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Aug 20, 2007
    Western MA
    I picked up the extend-a-flow setup, and found it to be very useful!

This one has an extra small line on it, but the one at my local dealer didn't, the are available both ways.
    http://www.campersdirect.com/susqrv/details.php?ITEM=4510426

I actually put an additional tee on mine as well, so I could have an additional Acme Fitting for the lobster steamer, while also having the grill hooked up to the high pressure fitting. Everything I needed for mine, including the 12' hose was about $60. Worth every cent! Here it is in action.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good Luck!