Extra storage for pup

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by ArizonaJoe, Dec 5, 2017 at 6:02 PM.

1. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Here's the storage we added to our 87 Coleman Laramie. We have the older plastic carrier along with an extended roof rack that are both mounted to heavy duty custom rails that are tied into the frame of the roof. On the back we have an aluminum tool box with light weight items like lanterns, outdoor toilet, hose and a couple of fans. 20171205_155057.jpg 20171205_155049.jpg

Tracy D. likes this.
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Nice looking set up!

3. kgesiako

kgesiako New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    Was gonna put a fold up rack on the rear like that for my greywater tank. Do you have the box attached to bumper or frame?

4. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Frame. Precious owner had replaced the rear end of the pup with plywood covered in stainlessence steel sheet and the spare tire in the back. I moved the spare to the tongue and attached the very lightop weight tool box to thearn bolts that held on the spare and also used a bunch of large diameter screws with washers along with 4 extremely heavy stainless steel brackets that attach to the inside portion of the frame on the bottom and sandwich into the inside back of the tool box. All 4 brackets are then bolted to the bottom of the tool box. I only put light weight items in the box, not sure of the weight of a grey water tank that is full would be a good idea.

5. kgesiako

kgesiako New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    Was only thinking of full tank to dump station. Was going to put a receiver on rear frame, not bumper, and have one of those fold up racks that go on the back of vehicles, but the more I think about it the more I don’t like it.

6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Welcome to the forum ArizonaJoe from a fellow Arizonian.

You are very clever and skillful with modifications on your PopUp.

I would like to add a small metal cargo box on my Aliner’s bumper to house my Honda EU2000i. But the manufacturer recommended not to due to the weight and how it affects the towing loads.

We might add it to the front tongue. We camp along the lakes in the valley of the sun during the winter season. No trees to chain our generator to in the desert landscape.

Thanks for sharing.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I added a Rubbermaid Fasttrack garage storage wall rack mount to my bumper, and three long hooks. This is the perfect size to hold an empty 25 gal blue tote, and I run two ratchet tie down straps in an X-pattern across to keep it secure. The straps hook to the top and bottom of the bumper. I mounted the rail onto the bumper using multiple stainless steel bolts, washers and lock nuts.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-Fasttrack-Garage-1-Piece-Black-Silver-Steel-Storage-Rail/3460346

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid...-Satin-Nickel-Steel-Multipurpose-Hook/3383768

I used these straps that I inherited from a friend, but they turned out to be perfect. The shape and type of hook is what makes the difference. My bumper is just a C-channel, and with these hooks they lay flat while on the top and bottom of the bumper. I simply cut the excess webbing off, so I have 2 dedicated straps for the tote. Stays in place, is light enough that it will not deform the bumper or cause any sway issues, and I have not seen any loosening of the system over several trips during the last 2 years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0181MJZ6...t=&hvlocphy=9026841&hvtargid=pla-412534405154

This is the tote I have. I picked it up on craigslist before I even got the pup. It works well, fits the storage system I made for it, and is easy to hook up to the TV to drag to the dump station.

https://www.amazon.com/Tote-N-Stor-25608-Portable-Waste-Transport/dp/B0085KGOIE

This year I upgraded the stock solid tires with these pneumatic ones. They did make a difference, and gives me a little extra ground clearance. Anything bigger will not fit with the stock axle rod. These ones fit, although I did have to add a couple washers but that was about it. Lowes had some axle caps that fit the stock axle as well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/mater...res/8-inch-non-marring-rubber-tire-47638.html

The only complaint I have is my hose does not seal very well when dumping grey water. I think it needs an extra O-ring as it seems to not quite seal up and leaks in that area when upended. Minor annoyance though, just gets rinsed off with the hose.

8. kgesiako

kgesiako New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    That’s the same tote I have. Do you have any pics with it mounted?