1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Just out of curiosity, how much does everyone think is too much to spend on fabric? What is the most you have paid, per yard for camper fabric. Throw pillows don't count ... just for curtains or cushion covers.

I am ordinarily very cheap and pay for cheap fabric, like $4 a yard. That's mostly because I know I change it so often. A bunch of my current fabric, I actually got for free, as someone gave me a bolt of it.

So, I am decided on a final theme that I plan to keep pretty much forever. Problem is, the fabric I'm stuck on for cushion backs is $26 yard. I'm likely not going to purchase it, and go with my #2 choice for $9 yard, which is also high for me, but if I'll leave it a few years, I'll go with it.

So what is your most expensive camper fabric?

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    The one I want for the FnR curtains is $20.99. I found it online several years ago when I was dreaming of a trailer in addition to the clipper and it is still the one I want.

i tend to move slowly into a color scheme, so by the time I buy, I know it is something that will last.

Orchid likes this.
  3. Orchid

So you haven't changed the fabric over several years? I feel like if you have admired the same one for years you're going to be pretty happy with it.

4. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    That's how I feel. I picked out the fabric for the clipper shades a good 2 years before I bought it. It's now been 2 years since I put them up and I still love it.

Orchid likes this.
  5. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    Hi Orchid,
    I think full price is too much if it is at a store that is always having sales...
    Having said that, today JoAnn’s has one-day coupon for 60% off anything that isn’t already on sale or clearance (with the normal exclusions).

If it will make you happy, won't break the bank, and is on sale, then it isn’t too much.

Orchid likes this.
  6. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    We paid $9.99 yard. I love the print. However, when my husband, who's the one who sews, grew tired of my fun, we ended up hiring someone to finish the cushions. By the time it was done, it would have been less expensive to order new cushions online.

Orchid likes this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I used the fabrics we bought to make the new canvas for our first pup for cushion covers, etc. (Buying a new canvas from Canvas Replacements was a much better choice.) I don't remember just how much that canvas cost, but it was probably $10-12/yard. (Said fabric shrank a minimum of 4" over a yard, when we tested it before using it, can't imagine what it would have done as tenting.) For slip covers for the cushions in both pups, I used fabrics bought at an outlet and yard sales, so all those were $2/yard and under.
    When I made new curtains for the TT, I used quilting cotton, and (IIRC) it was probably $8/yard; the fabric I used for lining was on sale, though, so probably $2/yard. I want to make new curtains, although I still really like the current ones. I discovered the dark color I chose absorbs a lot of light on those evenings I'm sitting inside. It takes around 10 yards for the 5 windows, so I'm keeping an eye out for sales, but if I find just the right fun print in a good color I might pay $10/yard.
    One of these eons, I'd like to make slipcovers for the dinette in the TT. I love the look of the vinyl seats - not so much sitting on them in hot weather.

Orchid likes this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Boy, I guess I'm not very adventurous when it comes to fabric. I bought $2.00 fabric on a flatgoods/discontinued section of a fabric store for valances in my old Jayco popup about 10 years ago and $7.00 walmart curtains and decided to reuse the same fabric/curtains in my current popup. Just had to do some extra work and additional sections to make it fit. I made my valances at home with also $2.00 fabric and cheap curtains and still have them up 20 years later. Then again I don't have a lot of time or money on my hands. So when I make something, it darn well better last me a LONG time. My brother changed his wall color about 5 times in his house in the corse of 7 years. Sure must be nice to have that kind of time and money, but it also shows how many girlfriends he's had that suckered him into changing it. [;)]

Orchid likes this.
  9. Orchid

I am glad I brought up this thread. It makes me feel much less cheap. I have a lot of admiration for those of you who found $2 yard fabric! That is speaking my language right there.

If I do end up spending $10 yd on the upholstery fabric, I will sew the cushions myself. I got sick of making cushion covers and the most recent ones I did for the seat bottoms are just stapled on.

well stapling them on looks fine on day one, it doesn't hold up to use like that they look really loose and wrinkly after the heavy use we put on our camper.

I found some cheap Walmart blackout panels online that will match my decor. will probably just use those for curtains and go with my number two choice that is $9 a yard for the cushion backs. And a cheaper solid for bottom cushions.

I appreciate everyone's replies. It gives me more perspective.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  10. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    When I got my clipper, the seats had been recently redone in a dark brown. It was very nice, but I was going for a very bright and cheerful interior and the brown just made things look piecemealed instead of coordinated. So I covered them with throw blankets. It brightened up the interior without any sewing needed.

So I did the same for the couch in the FnR. And they are really easy to pull off and wash.

I will say that I have stopped trying to go with bargains. I found when I did, I ended up with something that wasn't my real want and I would end up spending more redoing it a few months later with what I really wanted in the first place. Now, I just buy what I really want and be done with it.

gatorbait and Orchid like this.
  11. Camper Jo

Camper Jo Member

May 6, 2013
    Henrietta, NY
    I bought some really nice outdoor fabric for making slip covers for my dinette cushions. JoAnn Fabrics had an online special and I got it for $4 a yard and free delivery to the store. I've attached a picture. I went to the store first to check the fabric in person to make sure I liked it.

When I replaced the curtains in my old Coleman I bought curtain panels at Walmart and remade them. I used the type that had the rod pocket on the top and bought longer then I needed. I was able to make two from one panel. That was cheaper then buying fabric and making curtains.

Attached Files:

Orchid likes this.
  12. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I made curtains like Jo did--found some long panels I could make multiple curtains from. (It was an Apache and they don't have quite as many windows to cover.) The original curtains disintegrated upon touching. Oddly enough the cushions were still perfect--even the foam mattresses were still minty and comfortable after 40+ years. I made the kids sit on towels because it was too nice. :)

I'd spend more on good fabric if I really wanted it, if I were good enough at sewing to justify it. You don't want to go cheap on upholstery fabric. It has to work!

In general, if I really like something but don't get it because it's a tad pricey, by the time I decide to go for it, it's been discontinued.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

My curtain length is 48" so I can never find curtains long enough to get two out of a panel. I think 95" is as long as I've seen. I've had that idea, but never been able to make it work, after seams.

For now, it looks like my planned final remodel is off the table. Had one of our dogs to the vet today, and she needs hip surgery. She's only daily meds until then. She takes priority over my flighty tastes in fabric. Oh, well. Maybe I'll pull out my old curtains and go with them for awhile. Already have new clips coming anyway.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  14. Orchid

Happy to say I have planned a budget remodel with lots of stuff I already have. I really wanted to do a beach theme, but my other passion is vintage campers, so going with that since I already own fabric I can use.

I love the vintage camper fabric I had up originally, but I had made the curtains too short and it really bothered me. Now, making those into 12" valances. I'm recovering the cushions (half done with that) with fabric I already own that matches in color. It's not theme fabric, but I think it will look good. I'm sewing these covers as I really wasn't happy with the staple short cut I took last time.

After much back and forth, I decided to go with cheap 95" panels and cut them in half. To keep the length I want, I didn't seam them. I just cut and sewed the clips into the cut side without putting a seam in it. They are room darkening, so didn't have to attach my black out panels at all.

So, with buying 3 panels @$10.49 each and a new fabric shower curtain (kept existing liners) @ $12.98, I'm getting a whole new look on a tight budget. It's much brighter and lighter than what I had in there, so I'm super happy. I'll post pics when I finish.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    jnc and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    Sounds great! Can't wait to see the photos!

Orchid likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Fabric used to be cheap, when people used to see, now it's like a specialty item. Lol.

Toedtoes and Orchid like this.
  17. Orchid

Yep. My mom used to make our clothes when I was a kid. Now you can buy clothing cheaper than the fabric to make it.

Toedtoes and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Exactly.

Orchid likes this.
  19. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Jan 7, 2006
    Spartanburg, SC
    Something to be aware of with those rubber backed darkening curtains...my original curtains had the rubber backing and at 5 yrs old they started sticking to the vinyl windows. They pulled apart and stuck on them to where I could only scrape it off with my nails. It made a huge mess and the scraping marked my windows in a few spots. I relined the curtains (i liked the color) with heavy fabric lining which I love because they are stiffer and dont wrinkle when I close up. Looking back now I think if I had regularly conditioned the vinyl windows that probably would not occur.
    I agree about fabric prices. My mom also sewed all our clothes. I am looking at fabric that's 60" $5 for slip covers. Hard to swallow but oh will it look good!

Orchid likes this.
  20. Orchid

Thanks for the heads up! Something tells me these will never be on for 5 years. :laugh: It is a theme I love, with bright colors, so hopefully will make it to 2 years. I tend to redecorate about once a year.

I will keep an eye on them now, since we live in Florida and that plastic gets hotter than most places. If need be, I can still add my black out panels to the back of them. They are quite heavy and stiff, and I know they won't melt. I hope I don't have to, since the curtains move easier without them, but it's good to know so I can catch it before anything too big happens.