Facebook or the Pop up portal

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Whiteycracker, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I don't respond as often as I used to. I am a longtime forum member and camper with 50 years of frequent all-weather camping in all US and Canada climate zones in survival shelters, tents, popups, a TT, and now an A-frame. I am currently prepping for another trip into the Superior National Forest.

I like helping people who are just getting into camping, but only if I feel they have done their due diligence in helping themselves where possible. I scroll by any post that has HELP!!!! in the title, a posters' amenity requirements for a campground wanting a link, repetative researchable topics like towing capacities, or subjective topics that have been endlessly discussed, like BAL levelers. If a person can't back up a trailer, no amount of HELP!!!!! posting will correct the issue. Hook up the trailer and practice.

I once saw the value in this forum for it's similarity to a small group sitting around a campfire discussing camping stories, sharing pictures of great campgrounds, mud-soaked kids and dogs, interesting rigs, animal stories, fire cooked food, and amusing anecdotes, and sharing thoughtful advice. It helped while-away the long Minnesota winters.

We have lost many members who provided this color and content, and I am on the fence. I'm thankful that some are attempting to maintain the campfire feel here 526680_3489175221651_2097007529_n.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

I'm a newbie too and have visited some of the Popup FB pages. I'm pretty burned out on the mediocrity on FB in general and seldom go there now so my interest in that social media is waning. I've always loved internet forums over FB groups. Just me though.....no offence to FB lovers.

3. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

I use both but am really not a fan of the one camping site I'm a member of on Facebook. The guy who runs it is a real blowhard who likes to hear himself post.

I come here for my answers because users have always been courteous and helpful. And even remember things like how horrible we are at backing up... .that make it more like a family than Facebook.

Orchid and xvz12 like this.
  4. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Been on here on the portal I believe since 2005, although I no longer have my pup (joined the dark side) I still contribute and help if I can from my experiences from owning a pup. I am a Facebook member but not camping specific..

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Having two forums that I "webmaster" for and several others that I participate in, I have read this a lot.

What I have found is that forums are great for conversations. People interact more in a conversational way - just like sitting around the campfire and having the conversation meander around different topics, a thread on a forum will get "hijacked" or just evolve. This makes for more meaningful interactions but also more misunderstandings (see comments above). They also are more like encyclopedias - the information is there, but you are expected to search for it through a lot of stuff that is connected but not applicable.

FB is about questions & answers and statements & validation. It's like going to the dictionary - short and concise. People want and expect immediate feedback. They don't want off-topic and they don't want discussions on semantics, etc.
    Example 1 - post "where do I find the coupler" here and on FB. Here (and other forums), you will get responses varying from "what do you mean coupler" to "you need to go back to the dealer and make them go over the trailer with you" to "I think you mean hitch" to "it's on the hitch" to a 10-page dissertation on the parts of a hitch and how they work.

Post that on FB and you will get "on the hitch", "at the front", "I don't know".

Example 2 - post "I want to replace all the canvas with siding and live in my pup year round, am I crazy?" here and you will get everything from " go for it" to a 10-page dissertation on why that idea is not only impractical, but stupid, stupid stupid.

Post it on FB and you will get "awesome!" , "I'm jealous", "so cool", "go for it".

As society has sacrificed its humility and empathy for self-confidence, more and more people are wanting more FB type responses than forum type responses. They want quick short answers (whether right or wrong) and validation over having to wade through miscellaneous info and reality.

6. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

@Toedtoes "I don't know" the most frustrating answer to a question on the internet ever. Just don't answer if you don't know!

7. Toedtoes

I agree! Drives me nuts on Amazon especially and they've taken away the "unhelpful" tag so you can't point out their stupidity.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Bingo!

I have a facebook account and "belong" to a site dedicated to my hometown. Granted I haven't lived there in 30-some years, so there's some but not a lot of folks I know. But what's really frustrating is most of the comments are about the comings and goings of fast-food chain restaurants. [:)C]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  9. Toedtoes

I had a relative say to me just the other day when she realized I didn't know she cancelled her home phone, "I don't know how to get a hold of you since you're not on FB". I replied "call me, email me, write me a letter."

I suspect she meant that she didn't want to have to make a direct contact with me, but just include me in a generic contact.

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I don't do FB, so I don't know.

I have noticed, though, that of the various types of RV forums, the popup ones have the nicer people, and RV forums overall have nicer people that just about any other type of forum on the internet.

MrsSquid, jumpoff and xvz12 like this.
  11. Toedtoes

I find the nicer forums are the smaller ones regardless of the subject matter. Folks tend to build online friendships easier and there are fewer cliques. And folks tend to police themselves rather than attacking each other (and then blaming the moderators for overpolicing). If one poster keeps going over the line, shunning is easier because folks develop relationships with most of the posters rather than a small faction. With the majority seeing it and not egging it on, it disappears quicker. And repeated attacks by one poster or directed at one poster are more noticeable rather than just seeing a comment you agree or disagree with. And less ganging up because there aren't enough posters at any given time to do the ganging up.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

In our Town page its all about who's animals (dogs,cows,pigs,horse)are running through the center.

13. DanLee

DanLee Member

I use FB mostly to keep up with family and friend news. I unfollow (not unfriend) those who post a lot of drivel, political and otherwise. I check up on them every couple months to see if they've reformed, but so far no one has.

Orchid and jmkay1 like this.
  14. April

April New Member

I prefer the forum. This forum actually. When we were in the market to buy our pop up I stumbled through a few others and some on FB and this one makes me the happiest. I've learned a lot and laughed along with you all by reading your posts.

neighbormike, kcsa75 and WVhillbilly like this.
  15. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I don't have a Facebook, nor do I want one.
    I've been on forums (model specific, off roading, and motorcycling) for years.
    I find that there is a lot of good info on forums, I've found repair tips, parts sources and about anything else on forums.
    Info that I wouldn't have found in year of Google searches.

I've bought/sold parts, gear, clothing, and had things given to me for the cost of shipping, or even free.
    I've made lifelong friends all over the country, folks I've really met since I travel a lot, and I never would have met them if not for forums.
    I've also lost friends that I've made online :( Motorcycling can be dangerous, as are many other things.

Forums are a community. I don't see that on FB.
    I see a lot of drivel, bad information and flat out BS.

My wife joined a FB page for pop ups the other day and she said the amount of traffic on it is crazy.
    Lots of cool pictures and such, but I'd hate to have to filter through it if I had an issue with my rig and was stuck hours from home.

Katskamper and jumpoff like this.
  16. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I do exactly the same thing as you

17. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

I get the SAME thing from Amazon, when asking questions...the repeated I don't know...then if you don't know don't comment!!! LOL

Toedtoes likes this.
  18. 79venture

79venture Member

To all those tending this campfire here at the portal I say thank you. By listening to your stories I’ve gained confidence in owning a pup. Soon, I’ll be telling some of my story to y’all.

kcsa75 and jnc like this.
  19. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

: i do both.
    fb is FULL of dummmm folks asking dumb questions.
    one was so bad everyone askedif it was a joke question.

some. FB groups i belong to:
    one Group is for women with RVs ( alot of full timers!)
    one group is glamorizing the pup- great ideas, fun redos. lots of photos.
    i follow the Princess.

one group is for pup owners, & thats where i get most negative replies. always men.
    trollish

fb is easier to read, scroll to see all the posts.
    here, i have more difficulty reading, postings ,
    but the CONTENT is better.

Whiteycracker likes this.
  20. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

For me I don't do Facebook much. I only have 15 friends on it and they are all family and a few close friends. Even then it's now getting loaded with politics from those family members who seem to live, breath, and sleep with that drama[;{}]. I do belong to one face book group and that is only associated with the animal rescue group I volunteer for. Only so I can catch up with adopters who adopted one of my foster dogs without me having to give out my personal one. I'm very private and only post important things so my family members know what's going on in my life. Personally im trying to figure out how a Facebook group is better because in Facebook there is really no easy way to search for something other than scrolling through a million posts. Unless I'm missing a feature. At least with the portal I can use its search feature to find the answers I need. Yeah it still takes some scrolling but no where near as much. Yes Facebook is probably more accessible so it sees more activity but sometimes it's too accessible and you get more riffraff I feel.

Toedtoes likes this.