Fair Price????

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by SimplyLesa, Mar 12, 2019 at 3:14 PM.

1. SimplyLesa

SimplyLesa New Member

I'm considering an 1981 Starcraft 1404SC. the current owner flipped the axel for ground clearance.... I am wondering what is a fair price to pay for this TINY beauty? I am wanting it minus the propane tank (I am allergic to propane, so why carry the weight?)

I just found NADA pricing! I didn't realize it existed for PUPs

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019 at 3:37 PM
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

It's hard to put a price on something not knowing the condition.

3. SimplyLesa

SimplyLesa New Member

Yes. It's a Craigslist ad - so pictures are only so good. I've emailed the owner with some ideas - and, of course, the comment that I haven't even seen this in person, so... it's just a place to start. What a cute little rig though with only one pop out bed and very simple no nonsense set up.

its at Albequerque.Craigslist.org Rvs Pop-Up (i can't seem to type the url right to make it a link)

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/rvs/d/albuquerque-pop-up/6838268528.html

4. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Something tells me the owner looked up the value online and mistakenly took the 'suggested list price' as the current value. It may have went for around $2800 brand new. It is worth a fraction of that now.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019 at 4:23 PM
  5. SimplyLesa

SimplyLesa New Member

I agree - he also was trying to include a generator, inverter, house battery, TV, dorm fridge - etc etc
    It would be great if I could get it for $750-800 BUUUT with his ad written the way it is.... I don't have a clue yet

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I don't think it is worth nearly as much as he is asking unless you are paying for the generator, solar panels etc he lists in his add. If you don't plan to boondock (camp without hookups) then you dont need
    All the extra stuff. You can try to see if you can just buy the camper without the generator etc. How much did nada show for this? For me I wouldn't pay much more than $1500 and that's being VERY generous assuming it's in excellent shape. Nada is only a guideline as it doesn't account for season or geographic area.

kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

That's an understatement considering this camper is nearly 40 yrs old! Holy Smokes, without all that extra stuff that's not needed anyway maybe a few hundred at most. This seller is in dreamland thinking he can get anywhere near his asking price. Good grief. :eek:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

500 bucks for just the trailer would be my tops.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I agree , way over priced, who knows how long the canvas will last.

10. Sjm9911

And its not like the battery was a professional installation. Its atually a negative the way it looks to be set up!

11. SimplyLesa

SimplyLesa New Member

Well - negotiations are over on this one! He won't go below $2200!
    Good luck - yes for a 37 year old trailer! OMy.

12. SimplyLesa

SimplyLesa New Member

Yeah! my thoughts exactly - had it been installed differently to look pleasing - even a nice Alpicool 12V fridge could have been hooked up ---- well his loss!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

Keep looking , something will pop up! :D

14. SimplyLesa

SimplyLesa New Member

Teehee! yup Pop-Up!

15. Sjm9911

16. SimplyLesa

SimplyLesa New Member

Thanks Sjm9911 I appreciate the help
    I'm not sure the direction I want to go right now. The winter weather and cabin fever this year has got me anxious to hit the road. I might have to just travel with the SUV until the right thing shows up. My budget is a pretty tight so $3000 not my ideal

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I regularly point out that NADA is only as good as the info selected. .

Start by finding an original brochure online for the year make and model of the trailer. Next confirm what items if any (fridgr, stove, furnace etc.) were options or not.. when using Nada only select those items that were options and not something thst was included in the trim line..

Nada also doesnt account for condition it just use a percentage based depreciation value per year of age.. Nor does it take in account for local supply and demand..

18. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for the paint mess in the picture with the battery I'd say your're dealing with a flipper. All that crap he's trying to pawn off with it, "900 watt generator. 750 watt inverter, deep cycle battery, with trickle 1.5 solar charger ,new 24 inch tv" wouldn't amount to $500 sold used individually, and that's being generous. Wonder if the new fridge is a 3 way or a dorm fridge, I'd bet on the latter. I'd offer him $1200, if it's in good shape, and he can keep all his junk.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the popup myself, but if it hasn't sold while I'm typing this something's wrong.

kitphantom likes this.
  19. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Allergic to Propane? You might want to try a different hobby. All campers rely on propane to run fridges, heat water, and furnace. Extreme use diesel or just electric for everything.
    Most pups do not have propane/ electric DSI water heaters. Strictly propane models. Relying on electric can be done at campground too bad you are surrounded by all sorts of propane devices. Off grid you need a big generator to do an all electric pup.