Family living in a pup

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Orchid, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

So, some people I know, that own a place a few miles from us, took off to live in a pup a few months ago. I just found out about it. They rented their home, and actually left to live in a tent full time.

After a few weeks in the tent, they purchased a '99 Coleman Cheyenne. They are here in Florida, but the camper they bought doesn't have a/c. They did get a window unit and rigged that up somehow.

They plan to continue on this journey indefinitely. Family consists of mom, dad, teen daughter, 2 dogs, and a cat.

I'm trying to talk them into doing a blog, or better yet a vlog, of their experiences. They bought a Thousand Trails membership and are currently staying 21 days in their membership park, then 7 days at state parks. They plan to continue the same as they travel across the country.

If I can talk them into sharing, I'll post it here. Just told them I thought folks would be interested into following or subscribing, so just running it by everyone.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Sounds interesting and entirely do-able we can really do just about anything if we want / need to.

Orchid likes this.
  3. pudge

pudge Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    On the Road Full Time
    We thought about keeping the Coleman Niagara to full-time but decided we may need to do an overnight in a service area or such and that made the PUP impractical for us. Packing up wet was also a minor consideration but we could have avoided that by staying longer where we got wet (just may have to do some site hopping

Orchid likes this.
  4. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Jul 20, 2012
    It'd be interesting to see how they're doing. The longest trip we've done in our P'up is about 10 days. I think the biggest issue we'd face in trying to do a longer trip (other than time off work), is that the bed is much firmer than what my body prefers. I'll wake up frequently through the night to roll over, because I get painful pressure points, especially at the hip and shoulder joints. We have a memory-foam mattress topper, and while that helps. it doesn't completely solve the problem.

5. Orchid

Have you tried the anti-fatigue flooring under the mattresses? That was the last step we had to take. It took me years to do it, because I didn't believe it would make any difference. It DOES! Our beds are now very comfortable!

The thing that freaks me out most about this family is they didn't plan anything. They just up and did it one day with a tent that they had. They bought the pup a couple months ago and haven't done anything to it. Just living as is. As a semi-OCD planner, that kind of thing intrigues me.

I would have had to plan the whole thing, buy the camper, completely convert it to suit our needs and comfort, and many other things before I would decide to take off.

6. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Interesting, you referring to the tiles that lock together?

7. Orchid

Yes, they look like puzzle pieces. You can buy the different colored ones at Sam's Club, and plain black ones at Harbor Freight. We have them from both places. Bought the first pack from Sam's, but wasn't convinced they were going to work. I could feel the difference right away, but spent a night on them and then went to Harbor Freight and bought a pack for the other bunk.

Hoomi likes this.
  8. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Anti-fatigue mats and memory foam made a big difference for us. If I was going long term, I might throw an air mattress into the mix.

9. Orchid

I tried the air mattress route. It failed on many levels. Two twins went under the king bunk mattress and they wanted to slide out, leaving us with less sleep trying to fool with them. And then they lose air ...

10. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

How old were the twins? Boys or Girls? [:D][:D]

Orchid likes this.
  11. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Was there a particular reason they decided to do this?

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
  13. Orchid

I really don't know.

I know that one of their family members sells Thousand Trails memberships. I have no idea if that's something they just started doing, or have done for a long time. I'm guessing they got some kind of good deal on that and I know they were already campers.

Still yet, it's a long stretch from being tent campers to full timers. To the best of my knowledge, neither of them is working and my best guess is they are living on student loans because the mother attends some online school.

I'm still trying to talk them into doing a vlog. They don't seem that interested in doing it, unfortunately. I don't think they really know how to go about it.

EDIT: I just got a bit nosy and checked the property appraiser site and found out they don't own the home they were living in and now claim to be "renting out." Maybe they lost their home. That explanation would make much more sense as they started out in just a tent.

I don't really know these people. I only came to know of them when I gave them a pig about a year ago. Farm pig. The daughter contacted me on facebook and coincidentally, they lived not far from us, out here in the boonies.

Yuk on the insects!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 2:51 PM
  14. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    We moved to Arkansas when I was in high school and when we arrived the house we were to rent fell through. We (family of five) lived in my parent's slide in camper for a few weeks at the public boat ramp on the Mississippi. It was fantastic!

Orchid likes this.
  15. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Any number of things could be a possibility of why they need to do this but don’t want to broadcast it. I won’t speculate any further but they just might not want people to know their whereabouts for a little while.

16. Orchid

Definitely not the case about not wanting people to know where they are. The mother and daughter both have public facebooks and constantly post photos and check-ins of where they are.

The daughter is all for it. When I talked to the mom about it, she is very skeptical that anyone would be even remotely interested in following them. She doesn't think it's interesting or adventurous. Next time I talk to her, I'm going to suggest that she search Youtube for fulltimers and check their following.

17. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ah ok didn’t realize they were public about it.

18. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    I think I would like to try living in my pup. But we can't find a local campground that would accept our dogs. (pit bull)

Thanks for sharing your experience on the tiles. I had planned to get some already. And it is nice to have someone share their experience.. : )

I also found this and going to try some of these ideas for the bunks..

I thought this lady had some great ideas for making the bed more comfortable and she provided links.

http://www.thepopupprincess.com/pop...ow-we-sleep-comfortably-in-our-pop-up-camper/

19. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I guess I don't "get" the Tiny House movement. I mean if it's between that and being saddled by debt that you could never pay off, then I applaud you. But I guess I'm too materialistic because I like having room for hobbies (I do woodworking among many other things), collectables, etc.

20. brwarrior

brwarrior New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I follow a few FT people on YouTube. If they do it they need to know up front people are a-holes and will dig into their history. The trolls will come out of the woodwork especially with their being a disconnect from what they say vs what is reality if they get a following.