Favorite Camp Coffee

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by BigTap, Mar 18, 2018.

1. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Worcester Area, MA
    So while parusing the book of faces on the RVFTA group the other day Jeremy was posted about paracticing his camp stove cooking. This got me wanting to bust out the new percolator and make some coffee the camp fire way. So this morning i unboxed, washed and set it up. I changed my coffee grinder settings and ground some fresh beans as course as possible and ignored the programable pot and kurig in favor of the classic percolator. I must say the more traditional i brew coffee the better it tastes. We went from the kurig to the classic pot while programable it still brews like a traditional pot with a few extra bells and whistles. But i think the perc is going to get more and more use as time at home permits.
    I cant wait til i am outside in the morning roasting my coffee without a care in the world except the color of my coffee and the smells.

What is your prefered method for making coffee both at home and on the road?
    20180318_094414.jpg

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    With electricity, I use a drip coffee maker. Without electricity, I use a French press. My enameled percolator sits in the cupboard collecting dust. One of these days, I'm going to get rid of it.

NTL1991, ezakoske and BigTap like this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    At camp, I use a 50 year old aluminum percolator on a 40 year old Coleman stove.

BelchFire and BigTap like this.
  4. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Worcester Area, MA
    I only wish i had got a Perc with a glass top to see the color. But if i fill it up enough i can see the change in the spout

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I have one like in the picture. If there will be more people than normal I have a bigger one. I use regular grind. Start with cold water and bring to a boil. Lower and simmer so it just pops out the top. Perk for 8 minutes, done. My biggest problem with a large pot is keeping it hot without continuing to perk. I solved that with a thermos with a pump. Stays hot all day if desired.

Bowman3d and BigTap like this.
  6. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Worcester Area, MA
    You can also solve this by removing the insides to prevent the perking and just keeping the coffee hot.

PointyCamper likes this.
  7. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Escondido, CA
    Same for us. But even with hookups at the campsite, we use our french press.

NTL1991 and BigTap like this.
  8. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    I used a percolator while camping for many years, then a french press with home-ground beans for many years.

Now I'm too lazy and spoiled by the push button convenience and consistency of a Keurig.

I want coffee the moment I wake up. If I have power we use a Keurig mini.

If we do not have power I boil the water that is already on the stove, rip open a K-cup, and dump it in the stainless-steel pour-over that is already on top of my cup. Pour hot water on top and it tastes pretty much the same as the Keurig - and does not take much longer. The stainless-steel pour-over cleans up very easily, just rinse it out.

BigTap likes this.
  9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Yes but my Coleman fuel and the Camp chef propane won't go low enough, it boils the coffee.

BigTap likes this.
  10. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    BigTap likes this.
  11. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

I'm old and spoiled. Joy bought me a Keruig for the pup as a Christmas present.

BigTap likes this.
  12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Back in my tent days it was always the old standby stove top perk type coffee maker. Since then I have really got into COLOMBIAN BEAN COFFEE which mean you have to use a GRIND and BREW type coffee maker. I always have to always use the same brand of bottled water.

My GRIND and BREW Coffee maker is this Cuisinart DGB-600bc which grinds the coffee beans and pours up into a thermos carafe. This only take 5-minutes to Grind and brew so I use the shore power or plug into my 2KW generator to get my coffee made for the day. The thermos carafe keeps the coffee hot all day long so no extra heating is required.

[​IMG]

I still carry My trusty ole Blue Coleman Camping Perculator for backup but since I have to grind up my fresh coffee beans I also carry a good coffee grinder. This requires my duty 12VDC 600WATT PSW power Inverter when not on shore power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since we camp most of the time OFF-GRID I always have my 2kW generator along with me to charge my battery bank for three hours each day so this is the time we make our coffee...

[​IMG]
    I just pull my 2KW out onto the dropped tailgate when I need it...

Once you get used to something its hard to change things hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    BigTap likes this.
  13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I prefer a V60 pour over maker. It's so simple... pop in a filter, pour water over grounds right into cup. Take filter with grounds out, put in trash. DONE! Makes a really potent cup too, if I dial the grind down. Since I am the only one who drinks coffee, this is the best bet for me. Works with, or without, electricity. I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Kuissential-...784&sr=1-32&keywords=pour+over+coffee+dripper

BigTap likes this.
  14. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I guess we're coffee slobs.

We buy coffee in a red can and use a $20 electric percolator we bought at Wal-Mart at home and in the camper. We also have a Mr. Coffee at home, which we seldom use, and a cheap Dollar Store drip coffee maker we keep in the camper in case we forget the percolator. [:)C]

BigTap likes this.
  15. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Cowboy and I chew the grounds.

jnc, BelchFire and BigTap like this.
  16. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    If it's just me, I have a Melitta pour over thingy. If it's a group, and my cook stuff, I just cowboy it and pour it through the Melitta filter.

17. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    We carry both a five cup drip and a vintage knob top percolator for the one or two burner vintage Coleman stoves. First one up makes the choice. (It's always me...[;)])

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    #1 machine is a Keurig, that way can do my coffee, dw's tea and if the kids are with us. They can do their drinks..

Back up to that is an old stove top perking pot and instant coffee...

19. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Can't stand coffee so I don't worry about making it. I will make a cup of tea from time to time. Electric steel kettle for hookups, and a camp kettle on the stove when not. I also have an old 4-cup coffee maker with a steel carafe that I used to use to get hot water for tea/hot chocolate, but it will likely be retired since I got the electric kettle.

20. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I've had my Cabelas percoltator for 15 years or better... it makes great coffee and is all I use when camping!