Favorite Camping Book?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by BigTap, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Jorja

Jorja Member

Oct 6, 2017
    IMG_2277.jpg One more great read - very personable with great stories and insight
  2. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    The early part of Popping Up Across America was more like partying across America, where the authors would often sleep in their truck close to the party spot. It felt more like Partying Across America for a bit. Then the authors seemed to mellow out and focus more on nature, history and Americana, which was more interesting to me.

I'm actually still reading it. It's on the kindle app on my phone and I just read a few pages of when I'm waiting around for something. Overall I'm enjoying it since we've been to most of the areas so far and it brings back memories.

I travel for work and have more time to listen then read, so I use Audible a great deal. This thread got me to search for NPS related audio books. I was pleased to see the audio book for the Ken Burns NPS special. So that's now next up on my listen list. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
    Jorja likes this.
  3. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Worcester Area, MA
    Im glad this thread has bee useful to many of you. It has given me lots to look for in terms of reading material and i am sure others have gotten some extra book ideas aswell.
  4. Harrelldjr

Harrelldjr New Member

Jul 6, 2014
    East Tennessee
    If you like books about Yellowstone, I highly recommend "Death in Yellowstone" by Lee Whittlesey.
    Jorja likes this.
  5. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Wife has her back-lit Kindle, and I bring back issues of 'Sporting Classics' for nightime reading.
  6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    And after reading it, head to Arches and enter via the two dirt trails and see why he was against paving the roads.

And hurry up, cause it appears after this year, Arches may go to an appointment schedule to cut down on the traffic in the park.

And read this AM that they are making a movie about Edward Abbey...with Sam Elliot.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Jorja likes this.
  7. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I might look into picking up a book about/by John Muir. I went to Muir woods last spring while doing a 9 day driving trip of Cali. Pretty cool trees and relaxing place. I never thought of getting a book of that.
    Jorja likes this.
  8. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Long ago I really enjoyed
    We Took to the Woods by Louise Dickinson Rich.
    and books by Nevada Barr are set in national parks, main character Ranger Anna Pigeon.
    Jorja likes this.
  9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Have to agree with others, I wasn't that big of a fan of "Popping up across America" either.. Read the book and wasn't overly impressed, it was actually worse then reading about some members posted trips. You could tell they weren"t camping people and yet there is little to no humor in the book not one "SPUT" ..

Mostly if I want to read I grab a News paper or a couple magazines. I'll even occasionally pick up a store catalogue to flip through.. I usually do have an old multi read through paperback novel tossed in the suitcase for those times you need a bathroom reader..
  10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

After this thread, I decided to order a couple pop-up books, including Popping Up Across America, despite knowing it wasn't much about the camper or camping. I thought I would enjoy reading about the places they went, regardless. Nope. It sucked. Really bad.

The entire book was written as if she was in a huge hurry. It almost makes you feel like you have to read it really fast. Not really sure how else to describe it other than that. The writing wasn't good. It was desperate. There is really no way to relax and enjoy this book, even from the destination perspective. Oh well, I've been curious to read for myself for years, now I have.

There are a couple paragraphs about how to set up a pop up. It's wrong. She tells you to put the stabilizers down prior to lifting. While this may be the case for some campers, I'm not familiar with them, and certainly doesn't apply to majority.

The other book I ordered is actually good. It's called Camping in a Pop-Up Camper is Paradise by Mellody R. L. Allee. It's a fun read and would be very helpful to newbies. Even as a seasoned camper, I enjoyed reading it and all the stories she tells about their camping adventures. The author is definitely a bad ass.

Other than being very tough (I'm not) I felt I had much in common with the author. Like us, they have been to the dark side and back, and the reasons for that are exactly the same as mine. While my DH just does what makes me happy, and doesn't really have strong opinions one way or the other, I need our pop up to be our main camping unit until our bodies give out.

The book is nice to keep in the camper as it has lists, with plenty of space to add your own items, recipes, and more. I would recommend it.
    Jorja likes this.
  11. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Member

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    The Dumb Things Sold just like that, Al Hesselbart and Sex In A Tent, Michelle Waitzman and of course Dutch Oven cookbooks
  12. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Haliburton, Ontario
    Off topic of books, but check out this video. Goes against everything I thought as well.
    Use the stabilizers to level?? And, it's put out by Forest River. In their manual it says the opposite. Which is correct? Have things changed? So, in "her" defense, she may have the same info as I just posted! Go figure. I did try to contact Forest River a while ago, but never heard back. I guess I'll try again and get it sorted out.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  13. Orchid

The book was written a very long time ago. I think 2004, but going from memory so I could be way off. I know it was a long time ago, though, so their pup had to be older. Not even sure she ever even mentioned what kind it was.

We had an 90-something Coachmen Clipper and don't think it would have mattered much either way with that particular lift system. Not sure if they are still making them the same way or not.
  14. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Sorry to say, there was a retraction in the Moab paper in regard to the making of the Edward Abbey film. It was a hoax and it appears a lot of people in and around Moab fell for it, including the Moab Sun News. It probably would have been a great movie too.
  15. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I don't want to hijack this book thread but.....,

I think too much worry is put into the whole 'stabs down,roof up, roof down, stabs up" or however the saying goes. In the past there were 2 different videos put out by Forest River, similar to the one you posted. I used to put links to these videos as well. One clearly said (and showed) stabs down first, then roof up. The other one said (and showed) roof up, then stabs down. I don't think it matters that much.

During the summer months, our Pup sits in the driveway for 2 months. The stabs are down the whole time to keep things nice and stable, but also to deter bad guys, (they have to spend lots of extra time to raise stabs before they can steal it, bla bla bla, lots of other threads on all that). Anyway, our stabs are down, and the roof goes up and down 20 times during that time, because of bad weather, doing mods, kids want to sleep in there, packing for trips..... But, I never touch the stabs, they are where they are, no problem with twisting frames.

However, level side to side using the stabs? Never, thats not what they're for in my opinion.

That poor woman in that video of yours must have had a previous football injury or something to her left arm. She barely uses it, and almost sets the whole thing up using only her right arm. She should get that checked out. Maybe she can go for physio or something to help her out with that.

Back to the regular thread here, go find a good book to read while doing campdriveway :)
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    jnc likes this.
  16. Orchid

Oops, sorry, I completely missed this writing under the video. I read what was above it, then watched the video to the point where she put the stabs down prior to raising. I thought that's what you were talking about. I didn't even know she was LEVELING with the stabs!

To me, that is a serious issue. I would never, ever try such a thing in any older trailer. Maybe they are making the stabs more buff in these new ones, that they are used for that? To me, that's still scary. I think I would stick with my BAL leveler even if I had a new camper. I guess I'm too old to wrap my mind around that. It feels dangerous.

That being said, everyone needs to forget the stabs all together at least once. The pop-up wheelie must be experienced to be appreciated. [LOL]
    Lanternman and Strawhouse like this.
  17. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

So True I can still see the DW's face when we were cleaning it the first time! I did not think to put the stabs down & had the bunks pulled out I was standing over the axial playing with galley. When she climbed onto the rear bunk we went for a ride:D Here eyes were never so BIG!!
    Orchid likes this.
  18. Lanternman

Lanternman Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    Shouldve took a pinch of Copenhagen AFTER reading this instead of just before! Now its all over the keyboard....
    Orchid likes this.
  19. Orchid

:p:D We experienced ours together as a family. I was in the bathroom, one of my sons was standing outside the bathroom, another son headed back and hopped up on the rear bed and away we went! Thankfully, I wasn't using the bathroom, just standing in there, behind the curtain, putting stuff away as we were just setting up. I didn't realize what was happening at first and thought we were having the first ever Florida earthquake.

The second son, who jumped up on the bunk, is leery of the camper to this day. He rarely camps with us and moves slowly, with caution. He doesn't trust the bunks not to collapse, either. He gets on one very slowly and carefully. It's kind of amusing. He is an adult so opts out of most trips. [;)]
  20. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Haliburton, Ontario
    I should have mentioned to put the sound on as well, because the guy actually says to level using the stabilizers.
    Putting them down before or after raising, I'm sure most of us, if not all have done it the incorrect way many times! But, if you get in the habit of putting them down first, then you will avoid the wheelies!
    Orchid likes this.