Fibromyalgia, CFS, and PUP

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by CampFamily14, Jun 8, 2018.

1. CampFamily14

CampFamily14 New Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Northern Alabama
    I have been having chronic pain issues for several years. After testing to rule out other conditions, I was diagnosed as having fibrolmyagia and possibly chronic fatigue. My biggest issue is really just the fatigue. I wear out very easily, and it takes a long time to get my energy back. I also sometimes have a hard time remembering details like grocery lists, bills, and such. I live with a notebook to keep track of these things.

We wanted the PUP, because I will often be traveling alone with my girls and the PUP makes us a bit more secure in weather. Plus, it's easier to set up by myself than our giant family tent is.

I am completely remodeling the PUP that was gifted to us a couple of days ago. Are there any design features that I can add to make it easier/less tiring to set up, take down, etc? Any PUP tips in general for pain and fatigue?

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Buy a socket genie and drill for lifting, if you have a manual crank. If you always have access to electricity, than an electric drill from Harbor Freight will do it and much cheaper than a cordless.

Lifting is really the hardest part of setting up. Pulling out the bunk ends is easy.

MaeKay and jnc like this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Sorry about the medical problems, I hope the re-rejuvenation of the PUP goes well. Check the bed and if it is too hard you might need /want a foam topper for it to be more comfortable. With any medical problem, take your time, rest when tired and do not over-do it, You are not in a race for set up and break down. Orchid gave you some great ideas too.
    Good luck and happy Camping

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Orchid likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Also try to get the kids involved in set up. My little side kick loved to help with raising the roof I always took the last bit so as not to overlift, she was able to do my stabilizers but I did snug them up a bit more. Bungies, Making beds, Setting chairs up, outside carpet etc. My side kick is now 14 and can set up nearly everything, but isn't strong enough for the shepherd poles or my slide out yet. Although I get a lot more resistance than I used to.

5. swordfish

swordfish Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    To fix your fatigue and fibrolmyagia problems I recommend a book called "Dirty Genes" by Ben Lynch, M.D. He tells exactly what is wrong with your genes and how to clean them up.
    Regarding set up and take down, take absolutely minimum with you. The more things you take, the more trips back and forth to the car and more tiring you get.

6. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I'll start by saying congratulations on hanging in there and trying to keep on. My wife is also fibro sufferer. Most days she wins, sometimes not so much. So on to your question:

As mentioned the drill and socket, and topper are good tips. Getting a step stool to get in and out of the bunks may help.