Figuring out power: Furnace, Fridge, etc

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by SimonSenz, Jun 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SimonSenz

SimonSenz Member

Ok. Next questions. I was just taking a photo of the fuses so I could go to the hardware store and buy an extra set (the right ones). I noticed the fan in the fusebox was blowing. I checked the buttons - both were on red and green and the metal was hot. The propane was not turned on and the fridge was not cold. Did I screw something up?

2. SimonSenz

SimonSenz Member

we are plugged in at the house still.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The fan runs when the electrical box gets hot.

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I run the fridge on 12v while traveling, 110v when connected to shore power, and propane while off grid. If you use 12v make sure the TV charges the battery while connected. Only use one power source at a time on your fridge.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Actually, if the flame goes out the thermocouple cools off and the gas solenoid closes - there is no safety issue. Same as the old fashioned (non-electronic water heaters).

Snow likes this.
  6. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Totally agree, block ice is the better choice for keeping your ice chest cool. Problem is it's REALLY hard to find. In all our years of camping, we've only found it once and that was two years ago in Arizona...and only at one specific convenience store.
    The ice cubes melt much faster, so don't last as long. From what I've heard, the little counter top ice cube makers you can buy make "soft ice", which means it's great for drinks, but melts too fast to be much use in an ice chest.
    When we can find it, we buy some dry ice to freeze the water (or melted water from cube ice) in the ice chest to make block ice. That ice block will last 3 or 4 days then in 60 degree heat if the ice chest is kept covered and not in the sun. Otherwise, we're having to get the bags of ice cubes every day or every other day if we feel like living dangerously. ;)