Fire extinguisher - what do you do?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by TDS-MN, Jan 5, 2017.

1. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey All,

Got to thinking about the pup the other day, knowing that I need to get over to storage and clear some snow off the roof. Was thinking about the fire extinguisher. Betting that the one on my popup is likely from 1993, and been thru so many years of freeze/thaw during the winter months of storage.

Would anyone expect that the extinguisher is still 'good' after all that time? Any scientist-types know how the chemicals hold up to cold temps? Obviously have never needed it, and hope to never find myself in need, but would hate for the time to arrive, and I find that I have a paper-weight in my hand shaped like a fire extinguisher.

Does anyone pull these and store at home in the 'off season'? The little pocket where it stores in the wall, just inside my door, fits the current extinguisher like a hand in a glove, is it possible to find a new unit that will probably fit as well?

2. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Oct 9, 2015
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    It depends on the type of extinguisher. It will not get cold enough to bother most. Of course if you have water, (not very likely in a pup) it could freeze. A dry powder will settle and cake. It's a good idea to shake the unit every season and check the pressure gauge. No pressure means no fire extinguisher.

4. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    Good point, you got me thinking

5. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well. everytime I have checked the built-in gauge, it reads in the 'green'. And I would imagine that a road trip provides quite a bit of shaking each time out. Guess maybe I've been worrying about something that I need not waste my time on. Based on responses so far anyway.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Great post. It got me thinking as well. I knew it was as there, but never really had to think about it before.

7. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Mar 8, 2015
    Don't think of the road trip as providing shaking. What is actually does is compact the powder in the bottom of the extinguisher. The extinguisher needs to be tipped upside down and then smack the bottom of it with an open palm four or five times. Doing this will cause the powder to dislodge from the bottom and become fine powder instead of a solid cake of powder.

8. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I thought all fire extinguishers had an expiration date. I got stopped by a County Sheriff on my boat down here...(he was in his patrol boat). He conducted a safety inspection which included checking my fire extinguisher. A got a $90. ticket because my $25 fire extinguisher was too old.

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Seems like that should be a warning.... Must be a county money-generating tactic. Police have a hard job I understand that. Giving a guy a ticket for that is out of line every time in my opinion if there are no other hassles.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    The small disposable kind do not need pressure test and inspection by a certified person.
    The date of manufacture on the bottom should be newer than 10 years, this is a manufactures recommendation.
    Larger, 5 Lbs and up would require inspection as a pressurized vessel. USCG has requirements based on type and size of water craft.
    You should inspect your own extinguisher often.

11. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you ever saw how often my trailer seems to bounce along behind the TV, you might say otherwise, LOL! :)

Well, maybe come time to take the pup out of hibernation, I will shop extinguishers a little bit. Hate to think that I'm going to need a different bracket/mount system. Can think of many other things I would mod or improve, that matter more to me.

12. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Well there was a little more to the story. The patrol boat was off to the side of the creek bank with his emergency light on and was stationary but not anchored. He was there because they were searching for a weapon that had dropped underneath a dock. I rounded a bend in the creek and was probably going about 20 to 25 knots in my ski boat that throws a very small wake when I saw the police vessel. I got as far over to the other side of the creek as possible. There was probably about 40-50 yards between my vessel and his when I passed. He then motioned for me to stop. (I immediately threw the crack overboard, oh I'm sorry that was a different time...jk jk jk [:D] [:D] [:D] )I found out that day that there is a law that says you have to idle past a law enforcement vessel when the emergency lights are on.... I never knew that. My bad...maybe the fire extinguisher ticket was less than what he might have written me up for otherwise... My Mom used to say that every cloud has a silver lining..I went out and bought a new fire extinguisher. My fire extinguisher was about 15 years old...(The boat is 23 on its next birthday)

13. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ah - the other hassle.

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL] [LOL]

15. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Thanks Orchid... I always go for the laugh.

16. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Dec 4, 2016
    West Virginia
    My NTM pop up didn't come with the fire extinguisher or the stove (another story). Where can I get one to fit my 95 Dutchman? I guess maybe make a new holder too??

17. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Walmart...thats where I got my replacement.

18. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I don't cook in my camper or smoke so other than an electrical fire I'm not sure why we would need a fire extinguisher. It's more likely to get used outside the camper I think... Has anyone ever used their fire extinguisher inside their camper ?

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Never used ours, not going to do without it. No smoking. We did cook in our pups, and in our TT. We also have/had a furnace in the TT and second pup, so gas and power together. We have a 'fridge in the TT, again gas and power (for the lights, brain, and ignition). While unlikely, we camp in areas prone to wildfire, so embers might be an issue (not to mention embers from some bonfires I've seen!). Friends were evacuated from Glacier NP a few years back, the fire wasn't that close but their tent was covered in ash.
    The fire extinguishers in both pups and the TT are next to the door, so can be grabbed from the outside. We hope never to need them. I haven't figured out a handy place to put one in the TV, or we'd have one there too.

20. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    With regard to fire extinguisher maintenance/inspections (I'm putting on my work hat here :)).....

Fire extinguishers need to be checked once a month, with an annual more thorough check. Yes, they do have a 'shelf life' - depending on what type of canister you have either a 6 or 12 year maintenance needs to be done too...usually with smaller extinguishers it is cheaper to just buy a new one than go through the expense of hydro testing, etc.

The bouncing you get when driving is NOT equivalent to a monthly check. When the monthly check is done the following items need to be looked at -

Extinguisher is full - not over/under charged
    Instruction label is intact and readable
    hose (if it has one) and cylinder are in good condition with no cracks, breaks or dents
    extinguisher should be taken out of hte holder and tipped upside down a couple of times. This will allow the powder to move around.

In most extinguishers, the powder is a VERY fine material - the bouncing around as you drive may actually help to pack the powder vs. loosening it up.

If in doubt, buy a new one!!!