Fire Starters

Discussion in 'Campfires and Firewood' started by CampChaos, Nov 24, 2012.

1. MattF350

MattF350 Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Syracuse, NY
    I watch his other videos, as a firearm enthusiast. He has alot of great videos.

Byrd_Huntr and Brad Jackson like this.
  2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Dryer lint can be full of plastic, if you dry polyester, polyethylene, nylon, Goretex, etc. clothes. Stuff like quick dry shirts, perm press pants, leggings, exercise clothes, etc. I'll use natural materials for fire starters.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    If you have access to saw dust, the egg carton + wax idea would work great.

Katskamper likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I use OSB board cut into strips and soaked in kerosene that will fit in a coffee can. Will burn for over an hour, more than enough to get even wet wood burning

5. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    my dryer lint is 80% pet hair - that smelled horrid /wouldnt light, so now i make mine with cedar shavings.
    smells & burns better
    adding coconut oil to candle wax helps alot.
    my recipe:

SUPPLIES
    • scraps of candles
    • coconut oil-2 tablespoons per cup of melted wax. (3 -4 tbsp. if they were crummy candles that didn’t burn well). coconut oil is a solid at moderate temperatures.
    • package of pine or cedar shavings (hamster cages) -or- dryer lint.
    • cupcake papers (& muffin tins) -or- cardboard egg cartons.
    • METAL #10 can or Pyrex glass to can pour melted wax into for mixing.
    INSTRUCTIONS

1. fill the cupcakes or egg carton with the woodshavings / lint. Pack it down tight, you want a higher wood to wax ratio.
    2. heat oven to 200 degrees. TURN IT OFF before you put any glass or tin cans in oven. It might take 10 minutes to melt the wax.

3. Use hot pads & pour all the melted wax into one container. Add the coconut oil to the melted wax. (up to 4 tablespoons.) Stir!

4. (protect your counters, slide a cookie sheet or aluminum foil under cartons before pouring hot wax!)

pour the wax over the shavings till cups are full. the wood will soak up some of the wax. let cool till solid.
    5. break apart as needed. one egg cup and one match to light the cupcake!

with more photos here: https://krazykatsmeow.wordpress.com/2016/11/10/fire-starters/

Muller 5 and JWeible like this.
  6. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Dry pine cones make great fire starters. I also keep a bag on Match Light charcoal on hand. I like to keep a couple manufactured fire logs on hand as well.