FIRE!

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Tom LoCascio, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Tom LoCascio

Tom LoCascio New Member

Apr 17, 2016
    We bought a used Coleman PUP in the spring of 2016, ..this PUP turned into a nightmare for us. Discovered many leaks in the canvas, water pump on sink didnt work, the dealer said that they repacked the wheel bearings. Upon further inspection, they were never touched. Gullible on my part in guess in trusting the dealer in the first place.. THEN the big one was there was an electrical short on a wire running inside the canvas, one month after we purchased it, which caught on fire. A large portion of the canvas on the bed burned but i was able to put it out with the fire extinguisher, before the whole thing went up in flames. To make a long story short, after a hassle getting it into the dealer to get the canvas replace, which was covered by our insurance company, they sent the canvas out to be replaced, got it back almost 4 months later to find out it leaked even worse because they only patched the part that burned. stupid... we had enough, traded it in for a TT, a 2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS last Oct 2017 and have never been happier. Hope you all had a wonderful summer because we sure did...[V]

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Sorry for your parade of troubles. At least it ended up with you being happy.

Tom LoCascio likes this.
  3. 64osby

64osby Member

May 11, 2015
    Congrats on the new TT.

After all that, I might have been tempted to just let the pup burn.

sierrapup likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Sounds like the PUP had it in for you. However going to the dark side is a lot easier on the body tho, and a lot quicker for set up and breakdown, not to mention inclement weather. Good Luck and Happy Camping

Tom LoCascio and sierrapup like this.
  5. Tom LoCascio

Tom LoCascio New Member

Apr 17, 2016

Thanks, love the TT, We had Pups for many years before we turned...i was so freaked out by seeing fire that my instinct was to put it put, mainly because it was right next my house. Your are right though, after thought was I should have let the *** thing burn to the ground..

Haybale likes this.
  6. Tom LoCascio

Tom LoCascio New Member

Apr 17, 2016
    It did!

7. Tom LoCascio

Tom LoCascio New Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Much better on set up and take down, but it still takes a bit to set up camp. A few time when we pulle dinto the CG it was pouring rain and just had to run into the TT and chill until the rain went away!!

8. 64osby

64osby Member

May 11, 2015
    Set up can vary. My better half loves all the amenities of home. I like outdoors when camping. We end up setting up a full outdoor kitchen and sitting area. It takes a little time, but it is worth it.

Hoping you didn't buy the TT from the same dealer as the pup.

Time to winterize in the Great State of Michigan. We are on the west side. I would have done it today but we had 5" of rain.

DJS12354 likes this.
  9. Tom LoCascio

Tom LoCascio New Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Oh no way would i have bought the TT from the same dealer..Bought it from one in Grand Rapids..Winterized the TT a few weeks ago and keep it in an all seasons camp ground in East Tawas...this way we can use it all winter long ( have electric and one bathhouse available) I too like the outdoor set up..

10. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Springfield Kentucky
    Congrats on the new TT. I also hope the dealer did a better job of checking the TT over than they did on the pop up.

11. kinggartk

kinggartk New Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    Sorry to necro this thread...but this reminds me of our issue last summer.

My wife was out in our mini van and started to smell smoke. Dash board lights lit up like a Christmas Tree. She pulled over and jumped out to see smoke pouring from engine compartment. She happened to be next door to a quick lube shop and yelled at them for help. They ran over with extinguisher and put out the engine fire. We ended up with about $3500 damage in the engine compartment. Not enough to total it. Van hasn't been the same since.

In retrospect...if the fire had burned another 30 seconds or so...insurance would have declared it a total loss and we would be in a new van.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Makes me wonder if my popup ever catch fire, do I put it out?

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I can tell you that if my pup was on fire and I mean a fire that has established beyond a quick save with a pillow or dumping you drink on it I would let it burn and hope mt 1942 army trenching shovel isnt in there. This would not only force me to do Build the folding camper of my dreams it will also help pay for some of the material.