First Darksided Trip

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by J Starsky, Jun 27, 2018.

1. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Gosh, I'd forgotten to post my darkside camping picks. Kept close to home, first time pulling the beast with our Tahoe. WD Hitch was worth the craigslist hunting!

Springdale 25ft was easy to park and dump. Rear bedroom is super nice. We're never going to cook in it - but a fridge is super cool!

Onboard potty time is excellent! John's World!! John's World!!

Up in Village of Grantsburg, WI. Same site where the tree tried to kill Pappy's motorhome [LOL] Well trimmed now! [T][T][T] [BBQ]

DSC00882.JPG DSC00883.JPG DSC00888.JPG

cyndib, Sjm9911, generok and 6 others like this.
  2. J Starsky

My dad was [finally] the oldest camper on the grounds! I do miss wearing that badge [put&hy]

stacey short and Rik Peery like this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice setup!! Now I gotta Google Grantsburg :)

J Starsky likes this.
  4. J Starsky

It's a nice city owned campgrounds. They are 90%+ seasonal this year. Dad has standing reservations, yearly at holidays. They are right on a little lake, with a walkable Dam, and Wood River as the boundary. They do not have a camp host this year, couldn't find anyone to take the job. Nice showers, keyed entry at night. Price keeps rising, but the waters don't. http://www.grantsburgwi.com/james-n-mcnally-campground.html

5. J Starsky

Coolers outside are dry storage - not wasting ice anymore!

6. neighbormike

Ain't the fridge great?? My cooler(s) is just for beer now!

kcsa75 and J Starsky like this.
  7. J Starsky

I fixed the girls - Fridge is for beer, milk or water. Juices, more water, Mom's pop and any evil stain causing drinks are in the cooler in the truck! Popcorn, crackers and snackers are in the green cooler. Gotta come outside, and stay outside, with that kinda stuff! [evil daddy games]

Looking forward to Ice Cream sandwiches in Two Harbors for our August trip. The only ice cream I got on vaca was DQ.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. neighbormike

I'd wear out the screen door if I kept my beer in the camper!

kcsa75, jnc, J Starsky and 1 other person like this.
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks and sounds like ya'll had a great trip. Thanks for sharing the Pictures.
    I do not worry about ice, I purchased a portable ice maker and sit it up on a table under the awning. It makes 21 LBS of cubes a day which is good and I have ice for drinks, fish etc. I usually give ice away when I get ready to depart.

J Starsky likes this.
  10. J Starsky

I have a neat beverage delivery system. Sure, they have names, Bailey and Shelby.

I was rotating two coffee cans filled with water as my "ice cubes" in the truck. I'd love to ditch the drinks cooler, but my youngest will drink you dry on juice / Gatorade before the first day without supervision

[:D] It was a good time, but very different to leave the popup in the backyard. [:D]

I've got room for an ice maker now, we outta think about that!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I've got room for an ice maker now, we outta think about that![/QUOTE]

I also use ours in the house and even take it to the shop while working out there, I is easier and make as much, if not more than the one in the freezer in the house.
    It takes up very little room.

J Starsky likes this.
  12. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yeah, we love the fridge. In fact, we basically keep the food in there... it's just a third fridge for us now. We update the produce, but some stuff just stays in the freezer as staples, including some ice cream.

Why not cook in it? I somewhat understood that concept for a PUP, but our three burner stove and oven with a really beefy vent van overhead sings to us. We grill outside, sure, but cooking in controlled conditions where we have plenty of counter space, fixed storage of pots, pans and utensils was a strong attractant. Just curious.

Looks like a nice rig! Glad you had a great first time out.

J Starsky likes this.
  13. J Starsky

Amie and I looked at each other and said, nope! No cooking indoors. Honest, never used the heat, fridge or water system in our pup - so we're dipping or toes in super slow! We joked we'll never have to refill the propane tanks unless I steal them for the deck mid winter.

Heck, Amie asked I take her dishwashing rig with us, so she can still do the dishes outside by the faucet. Man, I got a sink in there...but she knows what she wants! What's a grey water tank to do?

I've got a nice setup of three different grills, nice totes for dishes and misc, plus two nice screen tents to cook out during rains. Keeps all that junk outside! Lady we got it from said she made pies and all kinds of stuff, can't tell she ever cooked on it. Bet that comes into play if a birthday comes on camping week?

We usually have someone camping with us. This time, dad & gf were down the row. We take the MIL and kid's 4 cousins camping a week as well. Just no room (or want) to jam all those folks inside to eat in my fine rig. So we'll keep the mess outside.

14. stacey short

stacey short Member

I was thinking about buying an ice maker but I was wondering would I be wasting my money? When I think about how much we need ice and it takes about 8hrs for the refrigerator to get cool and maybe another few hours for the freeze to freeze anything. I might have to get one.

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Pre cool the fridge before your trip. So you can turn it on a day beforehand, or put gallon jugs of ice in it.

J Starsky and stacey short like this.
  16. cyndib

cyndib Member

Your set up and TT looks nice. We just went dark last fall. Last weekend was the first time we added water to it and boy was it nice to have our own shower. We have a double sink, so the dishwashing was super nice too. I even baked a birthday cake for my mom. Turned out great! While we tend to BBQ and cook breakfast outside (nothing better than breakfast in the woods), I will make the veggies in the camper. Don't be afraid of your kitchen. It cleans up just as easy as the one at home does. Enjoy!!

17. J Starsky

The folks we bought it from cooked in it full-time and even used a crockpot on vacation. It was so clean you can't tell it is used.

I'm invested in being outside cooking and have the grillin' options outside, so perhaps when my teenagers are gone we may use the kitchen for more than a charging station.

I might even wash dishes in it this season, because I dump that gray water tank for the sink last, and with more soapy water I could clean my dump hose a little more... I over invested in dump hoses - bought three with a Y but I have only used the one attached to a clear 90 degree elbow.

My dad always precooled his fridge and freezer and so do I! He also bought me a circulation fan for inside the fridge, which is a required item for sure! https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Valt...d2ed3f&gdfms=AC486E1A88FE4C609F759394AD240ED3

We did hear the pros of an ice maker and I'm surely mulling it over! For our long trip, I kept freezing larger water bottles (Holiday Station w/ pop tops) over night, keeping 4 in my truck coolers, and 4 in the freezer. That worked out for my cheapness, but I think I'll make it a teenager's job this season!

Thanks for the compliments! Much appreciated.

Sjm9911 and stacey short like this.
  18. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Those little blue fans work well and the D battery lasts a surprisingly long time. Have had it on for about a month on a long trip non-stop and still worked fine for shorter trips long after.

I usually turn on the fridge, little blue fan, and remote temp sensor sometime the day before we leave and put a couple ice packs in there. It's always cold by the next morning. The remote sensor makes it easy to keep an eye on fridge temp from the house while you're preparing to leave or in the truck while you are driving all day. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006FKTT4C .

As you say, if you are using black tank, you really should use your sink/shower so you have some soapy gray water to flush out that hose after the black. If not, I'd imagine that hose would get quite ripe...

J Starsky likes this.
  19. neighbormike

Edited

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    J Starsky likes this.
  20. J Starsky

You staying at Grantsburg this year, Mike? You should pull up for a weekend!