First-time pop up owners in Chattanooga! ‘98 Jayco (Advice welcome)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Monahan7, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Monahan7

Monahan7 New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    upload_2018-6-13_10-31-46.jpeg Hello! My husband and I just bought our first pop up, and we’re pretty excited about it. We bought a ‘98 Jayco in good condition for $3500. It was advertised as an ‘02, but it’s a ‘98. I have a few questions...
    1) After pulling all of the curtains off to wash them, I noticed a small amount of mildew staining on the canvas where it attaches to the center top of the hard top. I am worried that it could be the result of a small leak. My husband thinks it’s just from moisture inside the camper while camping. We are planning to treat the mildew and re-waterproof the outside anyway. It rained pretty hard last night, and when I went out to check on the camper this morning, there was no evidence of moisture inside the camper. Is mill do you like this fairly normal for a camper our age? Could there be a leak somewhere that we haven’t found yet?

2) Did we pay a fair price? Did we get a good deal? The canvas is in great shape aside from two small mildew spots inside the camper. The stove, AC/Heat appear to work just fine, and the interior is clean and well kept. The sink cabinet topper is a little water-damaged from years of use, but there’s no mold and it’s been re-caulked. The hard top is well-caulked overall.

Update: I just checked on the camper in the rain. There is a very small drip coming from the center seen on one end of the camper where the canvas meets the roof. Ugh. What do we do?

2. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    The prices for used pop-ups vary widely. Here, in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, prices tend to skew quite a bit higher than in other areas due to supply and demand mostly. From what I've seen around here recently, what you paid is pretty much what one would expect to pay for something that is in good shape and "camping ready".

That said, I don't like to speak about "good deals" and "fair prices" after the purchase because, to me, it takes away from what I have now. IOW, I do my best not to comparison shop after buying something, because it's not going to change the fact that I have what I have now and I should want to get out and enjoy the heck out of it. :)

(I will leave the other questions to our resident canvas-cleaning and waterproofing experts.)

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Welcome from Texas. Nice looking camper. If you are happy with what you paid then the answer is yes. Have heard others use Etererbond tape down the center seem of camper. A lot of people like the Bass Pro mildew stain remover, and 303 stain remover with good results. Have fun with your NTU camper.
    [​IMG]

Orchid likes this.
  4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

X2^^

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg from the Connecticut shoreline.

6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA! Enjoy that ntu pup!

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome to the Portal from N/W Fl Panhandle. Congrats on the NTU PUP, it looks really nice on the outside. Do not worry about the price, the main question is Do ya'll likr it and does it do what you want it to do ? Good luck and Happy camping

8. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulation on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

We have/had the same camper. (Photo is from July 4). We bought it in 2015, used it for three years before deciding to go to the dark side. Gave the Eagle to our daughter and her family. [:)C]

CEA5D8FD-5E18-4F30-BDA9-E072B5B52AD3.jpg